Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,851,886 times

Advertisements

Whiskeys have long captivated the senses of connoisseurs, whether with smokiness and a whiff of vanilla or a spicy character with hints of caramel, and now, the emerging chemistry of "brown spirits" is proving that they have distinct chemical signatures to match the complex combinations of grains, barrels, aging and other factors that yield the liquid gold poured into each bottle.

The chemistry behind the character of bourbon, scotch and rye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,647,299 times
Interesting article. I suppose that each still greatly influences the chemical fingerprint of each distillery since most distilleries only use a still or two. It is pretty amazing the complexity of whiskies given that they only have a few ingredients. I never even thought about bacteria and fungi being introduced from the barrel influencing the spirit. I'll appreciate that sip a little bit more next time now.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,263,461 times
Interesting, but I think the major notes of identity clearly come from the different formulations of the three major whiskies listed. To consider the grossest elements:

Bourbon whiskey mash is 51% corn, by law, and the whisky has to be aged in virgin white oak barrels.

Scotch whisky mash is 100% barley, by law, but the aging can be in done whatever barrels they wish, quite commonly used American bourbon barrels.

American Rye whiskey mash is 51% rye, by law, and must be aged in new oak barrels

There are other details, but those are enough to make the three spirits quite distinct from each other to a practiced taster.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,607,040 times
I raise my glass and toast the wonders of chemistry for allowing us this wonderful nectar! (I am drinking Pendleton 1910 Rye).

Old 09-21-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I raise my glass and toast the wonders of chemistry for allowing us this wonderful nectar! (I am drinking Pendleton 1910 Rye).
I honestly don't know how they are allowed to use that name, because it implies that it is older than it really is. It's aged 12 years, not 97.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:22 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I honestly don't know how they are allowed to use that name, because it implies that it is older than it really is. It's aged 12 years, not 97.
This explains the name:

Widely known as "the Cowboy Whisky", Pendleton Whisky was created to honor the bold spirit and independence of the American cowboy and celebrate the tradition of the Pendleton Round-Up, one of the most prestigious rodeo events in the world. Pendleton 1910 pays homage to the year of the first Pendleton Round-Up and comes packaged in a intricately embossed bottle featuring the event's famous bucking horse logo.

Source: Hood River Distillers "Pendleton 1910" 12 Year Old Canadian Rye Whisky (750ml)

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
This explains the name:
Oh, I understand why the name was chosen. I just don't understand why the Feds allowed it, since they're so fussy about how bottles are labeled regarding age.

For example, if a whisky is a blend of a 12 year old and a 14 year old, it can only be labeled as a 12 year old. The youngest age is what goes on the label.

And bourbon that is labeled as "straight" must be aged at least two years, and if aged 2, 3 or 4 years must say that on the label.

And yes, they have the legal right to decline to approve a name being used, or to require label changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages