U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:11 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,664,057 times

Advertisements

I have seen numerous friends who alcohol reacts differently. Some become agressive; others silly; others quite and others talkative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,536,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are totally missing the point: no one is talking about drinking and driving here.
No, I didn't miss the point at all. I referred to BAC level and driving prohibitions as a commonly understood standard of a particular level of intoxication that everyone can relate to.

Quote:
We all know it is a dumb and dangerous thing to drink and drive, though I do think that chart you referred to is a little off
It's based on scientific research, and reflects average values. If your own personal responses are a little different, make the appropriate adjustment to the calculations, just as I said earlier. But for the vast majority of people who will use it, the calculator is sufficiently accurate to predict how different patterns of drinking will affect their Blood Alcohol Content, no matter what their beverage of choice might be.

Quote:
The point that is trying to be defined or made here is: does some types of alcohol react differently for some people? And most of us, from experience I will add, say yes. we are not talking about alcohol level in our systems and safety of driving, we are talking about how we react.
And my point is that there is only one kind of alcohol, and it is called ethanol. That's the active ingredient in all alcoholic drinks. It's the reason we drink alcoholic drinks. And what matters most is how much ethanol is in your drinks, and how fast you consume it. The kind of beverage the ethanol is in is not a significant factor.

So why do people get fooled into thinking various kinds of booze affect them differently, like the guy who somehow thinks 5 glasses of wine = 3 bottle of beers = 2 shots of tequila, when someone else might say no, 5 beers = 3 glasses of wine, etc., while researchers tell us they're both mistaken? it's because lots and lots of other things besides alcohol affect a person's mood when drinking, but none of them except the alcohol are in the glass.

Partly it's the fact that different kinds of drinks are consumed at different speeds. Partly its the fact that different kinds of drinks are typical for different kinds of occasions, so we begin to associate, say, drinking champagne with one kind of mood, and drinking beer with another. Partly it's whether we are drinking alone or with others, and partly it's what moods others around us are in, and partly it's whether we are happy or depressed or tired or sick or angry already before we start drinking.

In other words the subjective experiences people associate with different kinds of drinks is largely based on social factors and personal expectations and individual psychology.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have seen numerous friends who alcohol reacts differently. Some become agressive; others silly; others quite and others talkative.
Yes, but that's a different point entirely. Someone who is prone to become more talkative when they drink alcohol will become more talkative no matter what form of alcohol they drink. Same with aggressiveness or silliness, or sadness. Alcohol in any form simply loosens up the expression of whatever is being held inside.

What happens, simply, is that everyone has a balance of emotional impulses, and inhibitions that hold those impulses in check. When we say that someone has poor anger management skills, we're pointing to the fact that their anger impulses are not well inhibited. And people with poor impulse control around talking tend to blurt things out, or reveal secrets they promised not to tell.

What alcohol does is to reduce those inhibitions, so that whatever emotions are being controlled are more easily expressed. And that's pretty much the point. People say they drink to "relax," when what they mean is to let go of their internal controls a little, to shed their inhibitions and feel a little more personal freedom. And that works the same no matter what form of alcohol you drink.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,764,540 times
Quote:
you are totally missing the point: no one is talking about drinking and driving here. We all know it is a dumb and dangerous thing to drink and drive, though I do think that chart you referred to is a little off The point that is trying to be defined or made here is: does some types of alcohol react differently for some people? And most of us, from experience I will add, say yes. we are not talking about alcohol level in our systems and safety of driving, we are talking about how we react. Would I have 4 or 5 glasses of wine in an hour or two and drive, heck no? Would I have 3 martinis in an hour or two and drive, heck no, but I will say, I feel very different when I drink wine than when I consume hard liquor and most people are this way. Again, it doesn't have to do with how drunk we might be, but how it affects our mood. That was the Ops question.
You mean you actually READ HIS ENTIRE POST AND CHARTS???
My sister can't drink scotch. She does bad things. She limits herself to one, on very, very special occasions. On the other hand, she can rival me for the amount of white wine consumed without anything happening. Well, not "anything" exactly....

Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
My sister can't drink scotch. She does bad things. She limits herself to one, on very, very special occasions. On the other hand, she can rival me for the amount of white wine consumed without anything happening.
That's because the Scotch is 40% alcohol or more, and an ounce and a half typically gets drunk faster than 5 oz of white wine, which is usually only about 12% alcohol, and gets consumed more slowly.

You can trust science, and you can trust a long-time bartender on this... alcohol is alcohol.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's because the Scotch is 40% alcohol or more, and an ounce and a half typically gets drunk faster than 5 oz of white wine, which is usually only about 12% alcohol, and gets consumed more slowly.

You can trust science, and you can trust a long-time bartender on this... alcohol is alcohol.
You know it doesn't make much difference what you are or were: we all know how we react to different foods and drinks. Again we were are not talking alcohol levels, but how one type affects us: maybe it is the chemicals, maybe it is what we mix it with, regardless some of us react differently after consuming one type of alcohol than another. Of course the amount of alcohol in your system would be the same and how sober or drunk you are would as well, but that doesn't mean we do not feel differently when we drink one thing compared to another. I don't know why you can't seem to understand this? I think most of us know how we feel.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Of course the amount of alcohol in your system would be the same and how sober or drunk you are would as well, but that doesn't mean we do not feel differently when we drink one thing compared to another.
People believe all kinds of things that are not true. We even have names for different kinds of things that people believe despite being shown not to be true, such as superstitions and old wive's tales.

Modern brain science has shown researchers that memories are filed by associations, and that the sense of smell is the fastest acting sense, with the strongest ability to trigger involuntary memory recall, followed by taste. In "Remembrance of Things Past" author Marcel Proust was famously thrown back into the pleasurable memories and emotions of a young boy by the slightest taste of a madeline soaked in tea, such as his aunt had given him as a treat. He even distinguished that "The sight of the little madeleine had recalled nothing to my mind before I tasted it."

And what distinguishes one alcoholic drink from another? First and foremost, the smell and the taste. Wine experts can tell one wine from another just by swirling them around in balloon glasses and smelling the aroma. And after the first time you'd never confuse a glass of gin with a glass of vodka because their smell, and taste, is so different.

So we associate the strong memories from early experiences involving different alcoholic beverages with whatever we were feeling or doing at the time. So if our first taste of Champagne was at a joyful wedding celebration, say, then merely smelling or tasting Champagne again will tend to bring up the same mood. And that's true whether the emotion was positive or negative.

From The Guardian:
Quote:
We are convinced that different drinks produce different effects yet, so far, science has failed to prove this.

"A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers," says Dr Paul Clayton, pharmacologist and president of the forum on food and health at the Royal Society of Medicine. "A lot of it depends on what mood you were in when you started drinking and the social context. The idea that gin makes you unhappy probably comes from its nickname "mother's ruin" - the idea that it makes women depressed, which is a cultural idea. But fundamentally, alcohol is alcohol whichever way you slice it."
So yes, people feel different things with different tipples, but it's mostly because of what is in the mind, not what's in the glass.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,493,476 times
it's quite simple. It's much easier to throw back mixed drinks than it is a full pint of beer. Therefore, when you drink mixed drinks you get drunker.

This is why i don't drink hard liquor at all. I drink pints of beer and after about 6 or 7 of them I'm as drunk as I want to be and I'm full (as if I've eaten a meal) and therefore I don't keep drinking.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:49 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,708,042 times
I can't handle hard liquor either.

In my younger days , I could go to a bar some nights and drink 12 cans of beer w/o appearing drink.

12 shots of hard liquor and I would have been a raving lunatic.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,708,042 times
It is nearly impossible to kill oneself by chugging beer down.

People have died from chugging hard liquor out of a bottle.

It has to do with volume of liquid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages