Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob12 View Post
I'm now 69, when I was younger I use to be able to put a lot of beer down, now 2 is about all I want.
Anybody else have that haven to them?
You arent alone, at 65 i just cant drink as much as i used to , which could easily be a case of 12 on some nights,
Went away with the wife this past weekend and brought a 6 pack along, got home after 3 days and still had 4 beers left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 AM

24,006 posts, read 10,358,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You arent alone, at 65 i just cant drink as much as i used to , which could easily be a case of 12 on some nights,
Went away with the wife this past weekend and brought a 6 pack along, got home after 3 days and still had 4 beers left.
So you had the best beer there is - someone else's:>)

Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
So you had the best beer there is - someone else's:>)
I bought the beer with my own money for personal consumption, No one else was involved..

Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,165,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
microbrews contain way more alcohol than that stuff you sucked down as a young man. i could drink an 18 pack of coors light all day, itd be equivalent to drinking 5 or 6 microbrews. microbrews range from 25% to 150% stronger than light mass produced corn water (aka budlight, coors, miller).
Uh...microbrews come in all flavors and ABVs. Some of which are at, and some that are lower, than Coors Light, Bud Lite, et al.

Anchor Small is only 3.3%, for example.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,021,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Uh...microbrews come in all flavors and ABVs. Some of which are at, and some that are lower, than Coors Light, Bud Lite, et al.

Anchor Small is only 3.3%, for example.
Agreed.

But to his point, you could swap any mass produced lager for another and never have a concern for ABV. Two beers was two beers and you could plan as such.

If you're switching to craft beers you really, really have to look at the label to stay out of trouble.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:33 PM

16,591 posts, read 15,532,511 times
I've brewed a lot of beer since I took up the hobby several years ago. Every recipe I've made cites several statistics for that particular flavor. It generally includes the Original Gravity and the Final Gravity, and usually the ABV. Using a hydrometer, a brewer checks the Specific Gravity when the wort is transferred to the fermenter and again when it is transferred to the bottling bucket. The difference shows how much lighter the beer is after fermentation, a figure than can be used to calculate the percentage of the final product that is alcohol (which is lighter than water), expressed as Alcohol By Volume.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
No I find at almost 68 I enjoy it more, but it has to be a good brew, absolutely no bud, miller, pbr, coors swill will touch my lips.

Oh yea, I live in Beer City USA, where I am within a 15 minute drive to about 20 craft breweries (and more coming ) and we visit a minimum of one a week, and often more frequently.

Some of the smallest breweries turn out some amazing brews. One in particular we visit often the owner/head brewer comes and sits with us for our opinions and brings out samples from the back of what he is working on.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 12-06-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,354,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
.microbrews come in all flavors and ABVs. Some of which are at, and some that are lower, than Coors Light, Bud Lite, et al.
Also, some of them taste horrid and vary from batch to batch. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, seems like around the early 90's maybe, but at some point 'microbrew' came to = good. And 'domestic' a.k.a. factory produced american beer = bad.

I have a strong preference for neither. They both have their time and place. Many of the micro-brews are way too heavy and not really close to what beer is really supposed to taste like, especially when they add all sorts of goofy flavors to them. Also, I've had some excellent mass produced beers (Guinness is the most outstanding example, but there are many others) and I even enjoy a good, basic, light domestic beer at times. I have nothing against coors, bud, miller, past… etc, etc.. and I don't assume they're poor just because that's the current zeitgeist. Sometimes they're the perfect thing (like on a hot day when you don't want to weigh yourself down with a bunch of grain and alcohol) other times they do seem too watery and not flavorful enough (like on a cold winter night with a good football game on). One thing's for sure... Even if you do think that all 'domestic' beers are too weak and lacking flavor, you can't doubt their consistency and very high product control standards. Meaning, very little armpit sweat, nose hairs, or other variable ingredients making their way in before bottling.

But to answer the original question… No, I can't drink as much beer as I used to, but that's just due to the gallon of yeasty liquid that you have to consume for the equivalent of less than a cup's worth of neat scotch pours. I can drink as much or more whiskey, gin, vodka, rum… etc. as I ever could, because I'm mixing little to nothing with it, but I usually choose not to.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM

939 posts, read 781,784 times
“He who drinks beer” - Shakespeare

Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,801,858 times
Had some health issues slow me down quite a bit (Type 2), but I used to watch football Saturday and Sunday and drink beer (8+ each day, but kept getting too filled up to have more even though I 'wasn't drunk'.). But with health issues and a liking of craft beer I may have 2 or 3 a day. Weird is that I find I like (and am able to drink more) whisky these days. May have 4 or 5 compared to 2 beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages