U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,306,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No I find at almost 68 I enjoy it more, but it has to be a good brew, absolutely no bud, miller, pbr, coors swill will touch my lips.

Oh yea, I live in Beer City USA, where I am within a 15 minute drive to about 20 craft breweries (and more coming ) and we visit a minimum of one a week, and often more frequently.

Some of the smallest breweries turn out some amazing brews. One in particular we visit often the owner/head brewer comes and sits with us for our opinions and brings out samples from the back of what he is working on.
Have to say that out of the Macros you listed, PBR for me personally hits the spot on a hot day, especially when I'm in the mood for something simple and not heavy. Plus, for under 20 bucks a case, I'm not complaining. All the others I can live without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 07:09 PM

145 posts, read 278,444 times
I noticed at about 28 I just couldn't put them down like I used to. At one point I could kill a 24pk and feel fine, not my best days. Now I have 2 or 3 in an entire evening and want to go to bed. My wife will pick up a half a case of Sam Adams or something like that and it will sit for weeks, before it would have been gone in a night.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,529,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Had some health issues slow me down quite a bit (Type 2), but I used to watch football Saturday and Sunday and drink beer (8+ each day, but kept getting too filled up to have more even though I 'wasn't drunk'.). But with health issues and a liking of craft beer I may have 2 or 3 a day. Weird is that I find I like (and am able to drink more) whisky these days. May have 4 or 5 compared to 2 beers.
This is a little controversial, but in case it might be useful for somebody... the big problem for diabetics is residual sugars, which the body has trouble dealing with. Vodka, however, not only does not trigger the insulin response that carb-rich beverages like beer do, but has been shown in some studies to reduce blood-sugar levels. I'm not advocating, just putting the info out there. Do the research if it interests you.

As we say in Hawai'i, Okole'maluna!

(Translation: Bottoms Up!)

Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,796,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This is a little controversial, but in case it might be useful for somebody... the big problem for diabetics is residual sugars, which the body has trouble dealing with. Vodka, however, not only does not trigger the insulin response that carb-rich beverages like beer do, but has been shown in some studies to reduce blood-sugar levels. I'm not advocating, just putting the info out there. Do the research if it interests you.

As we say in Hawai'i, Okole'maluna!

(Translation: Bottoms Up!)
May be some truth to that. Whisky and Bourbon are much easier for me to 'process'.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:15 PM

18,265 posts, read 23,399,178 times
i have a best friend that brews his own beer-very good stuff- i love to stop by and have a few,,, on a summers day, they go down easy,,

but i dont even keep beer at my house anymore- if i have one after work, it puts me to sleep..

in my early -mid 20's i had my share- but then again, we chased alot of skirts and it was usually at night-clubs

although- ive noticed, after a golf game, sometimes they do go down easy, when the pitchers of beer keep on coming...i usually limit myself to 2-3, this is just on sundays

Old 12-20-2013, 08:12 PM

23,296 posts, read 17,332,708 times
My grandfather had a severe alcohol problem until he was 74 and was easily putting down a 12 pack of cheap beers a day. He had a heart attack in 2010, lost about thirty pounds, and is now going strong in the best shape I've ever seen him. He has upwards of a dozen DUIs, decades of moonshine and liquor...and really shows no ill effects. His whole family has lived well into their 90s and hardly ever get ill. The guy won the genetic lottery.

As for me, my consumption goes up and down with the seasons and my mood. During the spring/summer and longer days, I tend to drink more active and drink less, and I drink lighter beers - more macros, more saison, and more shandy. During the winter or when stressed from work (I work a stressful customer facing job with low pay), I drink more and heavier beers. I might drink wine twice a year out to eat and a mixed drink once a month.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:18 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,492,971 times
man, I really over did it at a Christmas party this year. I ended up sort of blacking out which is worrisome(I remember most of the night and how I got home, but my roommate said I was rummaging through the fridge looking for food and I have no recollection of that.). I'm in my late 30's and I was hanging out with my younger cousins(college age) playing beer pong and drinking games. I know, what an idiot. Well, I drank way more beer than I'm used to and it was mostly on an empty stomach. I ended up falling down. Once that happened at least I had the good sense to ask someone to drive me home.

But its kind of a wake up call drinking wise. I think I'm going to lay off the stuff for awhile.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:18 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,316,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob12 View Post
I'm now 69, when I was younger I use to be able to put a lot of beer down, now 2 is about all I want.
Anybody else have that haven to them?
I found out on a plane trip that one pint was all I wanted. Air travel is annoying in many ways. One pint seems to put a blunt edge on it. But more I just don't want. My doctor years ago endorsed moderate drinking for stroke prevention. I drink vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvery moderately. Not even enough to make any impact I'm afraid. But I can't say I've ever wanted to be tipsy. Well, ONE time in my twenties when two friends decided to chug drinks as fast as they could until they couldn't walk right. I joined in the game and we all got hammered. That never happened again. We staggered to their home. Their mom wasn't overly thrilled. Her dead husband might have been an alcoholic, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm not finding yet the thread I want. Might have to start one. Went to Buffalo Wild Wings today to see what games were on the TVs. Ordered a pint of Summit Winter Lager, just by name, and a snack basket of boneless honey bbq wings with blue cheese dip. The whole thing was a great ensemble. And I found I liked the taste of the Summit beer. Usually when I don't want to think about it, I just get Bud Light. You know: "Havin' a Bud, watchin' the game"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or