U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,294,585 times

Advertisements

From my experience, it's best if you and your companion are going to have more than 1 glass of wine each ... order a bottle or a carafe. Most restaurants I patronize - and the are nice and not cheap places - charge about $5 - $9 per glass. You can buy a bottle starting around $35 per bottle; but of course they have $100 and $200 bottles too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,784,662 times
Quit acting like you're surprised. ALL ALCOHOL is hideously overpriced at restaurants and bars. You know this before ordering it.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM

874 posts, read 1,075,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Went out for an expensive supper the other night and while i normally drink beer this time i thought i'd go for wine,.So i order a glass of wine and the little caraffe only fills the glass halfway,as the evening went on i ordered 2 more glasses that were also half glasses, everything went well other than the wine which turned out to be $10 per glass i'll presume this is normal ripoff at these types of small specialty restaurants. they must make a financial killing with their wine as i could have walkied to the liquor store and bought 5 bottles of wine for the price i paid for the wife and i's 6 half glasses of wine.
Think thats the first and last time i'll buy wine at a restaurant, i'll stay with the beer instead.
A-ha. That explained it.

Why do you think restaurants serve alcohol? Mooooonaaay.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM

36,491 posts, read 41,679,184 times
I thought everyone was aware of restaurant markup on alcohol?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,009,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I thought everyone was aware of restaurant markup on alcohol?
Especially someone who doesn't blush at paying $6.50 for a bottle of beer.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM

912 posts, read 1,245,008 times
Yeah, alcohol in general is so marked up at restaurants that I cringe if I think about it too long. But I like to eat out, and I like alcohol, so I figure I'm paying to enjoy both of those things at once.

Sometimes I order mixed drinks because they seem slightly less marked up to me, but the problem there is often in the quality of the drink. I can order a vodka tonic at one place and just taste tonic water, then at another place (or heck, at the same place on a different night) and get a straight gulp of vodka...neither of which appeals to me.

So mostly I stick with wine. My husband is not a wine drinker at all, he primarily drinks beer, which I can't stand. If I think there's a chance that I'll have more than one glass of wine (and there's often a chance!), I just order a bottle. I feel a little silly ordering the bottle just for me, but all restaurants around here will let you cork it and take home what you don't drink. Mostly, the price of the bottle comes out to be not a ton more than the price of two glasses, so it's really a no-brainer on my end.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM

36,491 posts, read 41,679,184 times
We are cheap and mostly do our drinking at home for this reason. Plus, it's more relaxing to open a bottle of wine and share it hanging out in front of the fireplace, or have beers in the backyard than when out and about.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Yeah, alcohol in general is so marked up at restaurants that I cringe if I think about it too long. But I like to eat out, and I like alcohol, so I figure I'm paying to enjoy both of those things at once.
Makes me glad that BYOB is a popular option around here.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:33 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,766,396 times
I WISH restaurants here would let you take the rest of your bottle home! And BYOB?? Really?? Restaurants in Chicago do that?? I hadn't noticed, I was just there a couple weeks ago and spent plenty of money on wine I tell ya!!!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I WISH restaurants here would let you take the rest of your bottle home! And BYOB?? Really?? Restaurants in Chicago do that?? I hadn't noticed, I was just there a couple weeks ago and spent plenty of money on wine I tell ya!!!
BYOB is very uncommon for restaurants that have liquor licenses. It's more for restaurants that don't. You're more likely to find it in neighborhood restaurants than those in the more tourist-oriented areas.

Chicago BYOB Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Best BYOB restaurants in Chicago - Restaurants - Time Out Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages