U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,281,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The question is, why doesn't he just drink at his desk? Because the employer would frown on an employee drinking at work, going out to the car is basically the same thing.

It is interesting how things have changed, 30 years ago, a group of teachers could go out to lunch on a teacher work day, and have a glass of wine with lunch. Not any more.

Alcohol consumption was more accepted, than it is now, at causal work lunches, and working dinners. Now, anyone with a work expense account knows better than to put a bar tab on a work credit card, unless he/she is the boss.
You're correct, and it's cultural too. I have a brother who lives in Spain and is an account executive for a major advertising agency. When I've visited there, I'm astonished that he and his co-workers spend so much time drinking during the day.

But mind you, the OP wasn't about someone having a drink or two at lunch. It was about swigging some Everclear first thing in the morning, secretly and alone in his car, before going into the workplace in order to quell a social anxiety issue. I think that's a different animal than having a social drink or three at lunch time with friends or co-workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 05:52 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,927,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
You're correct, and it's cultural too. I have a brother who lives in Spain and is an account executive for a major advertising agency. When I've visited there, I'm astonished that he and his co-workers spend so much time drinking during the day.

But mind you, the OP wasn't about someone having a drink or two at lunch. It was about swigging some Everclear first thing in the morning, secretly and alone in his car, before going into the workplace in order to quell a social anxiety issue. I think that's a different animal than having a social drink or three at lunch time with friends or co-workers.
How different is it really, except that some societies and cultures accept social drinking even in a workplace environment and some don't? The desired outcome is the same: social lubrication. The only difference is whether it's done by many out in the open because it's socially acceptable, or done by a few in secret because it's not.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,779,029 times
'Social drinking' is not done by yourself in a parking lot.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Yeah, I'd say the difference is between drinking to enjoy yourself with others (or, even at times, alone I suppose), and drinking because you NEED it to function. Especially in a job, as per the OP.

The social lubrication thing is accepted in very many cultures around the world. That's a different dynamic than drinking in secret so you can better fulfill your job function.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:01 PM

18,254 posts, read 23,371,190 times
and here's the snake in the grass-liability, if ever, it is condoned, allowed, or "everyone" knows this person is under the influence,,,then he slips down the steps and is now going to sue the company,,,,,a defense lawyer will rip that business/company apart and get millions for a settlement,, if this is "accepted"

when i started work 30 yrs ago, after shifts, it wasnt "accepted" but they looked the other way,,,many employees had a drink in the parking lot,, ten yrs before that,,it was smoking and drinking in the work-place,,,maybe the drinking was never officially accepted,,,it was dont ask dont tell
didnt have the lawyer litigation threat back then as you do now

Old 12-14-2013, 01:14 PM

Liability, exactly!

I run a small business and myself and employees work in other people's homes and businesses. Often on ladders, or using power tools. I can't imagine how poorly it would reflect on me if there was the slightest hint that any of us would have even a vague hint of alcohol odor.

I'm pretty lax about a lot of things, but have absolute zero tolerance for alcohol or drug use on or before the work day. In your own time, toke up, drink up, whatever. At work, no. Not in my line of work, anyway.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:22 PM

8,833 posts, read 7,615,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Well said.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:15 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,927,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I didn't say "social drinking." I said "social lubrication," for which the location of consumption or the number of people with whom one is drinking is irrelevant.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:22 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,569,168 times
Self medicating. Many people use alchol or other substances in this manner.

What is an oxymoron to me, is if this guy, went and got a prescription for anti anxiety medication, or other psychotropic medication, society would find that perfectly acceptable.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:24 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,701,390 times
I worked at good paying union blue collar jobs.

It was quite clear if we ever drank on company property, whether clocked in or after work, we would be fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages