U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,343,019 times

Advertisements

To save myself thinking, I just go for something bars usually have: Bud Light. I don't fancy my palate to be that discerning. The taste is inoffensive to me, it has alcohol content. I really have no "loyalty" never having had a reason to develop one. And maybe partly its the funny commercials over the year, like "Dad, you're my dad, but I LOVE ya man!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 PM

32,391 posts, read 59,880,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I wish they distributed Yuengling in the north.
Yuengling is now distributed as far west as Cincinnati, so be patient.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:41 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yuengling is now distributed as far west as Cincinnati, so be patient.
I don't really get why Yuengling is such a big deal. The beer is fine, but nothing amazing...maybe the name is fun?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,564,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I don't really get why Yuengling is such a big deal. The beer is fine, but nothing amazing...maybe the name is fun?
I think it's like Coors way back when. Part of the allure is because you can't get it. I take a case up to Massachusetts now and then, but I've heard they're supposed to start distribution up there soon. At least through the end of last year it only went as far as New York.

But also, compared to drinking a Bud or whatever, I think Yuengling is a better product overall. For a mass-produced basic and fairly cheap lager it is pretty good I thought, much better than the many nastier ones I've had now and again.

The combination of the two makes it something to talk about, I guess.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:19 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,024,208 times
Quote:
I think it's a higher quality brew than most macro brews. I've probably tried it about a dozen times, and each time I found myself saying... I wish we had this up north. I'm not sure how the cost compares to Buttwiper/Miller/Coors down south, but if they are priced similar, I can't understand why it's not more popular.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,670,585 times
Bud Light Coors Light

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,283,539 times
Newcastle and Anchor come to mind.

In particular, the recent rotating variety of Newcastle styles has been very appealing.

With Anchor, their annual rotation of brews keeps things fresh - I particularly like their Summer Ale, which is all the more appealing for the fact that it is unavailable most of the year.

Not well known or widely available in the U.S. are beers from Unibroue in Quebec. They're not cheap (usually about $10US/4-pack when I can find them) and they're not thirst-quenching beers (typically, the varieties run about 9% alcohol, though a few are as low as 5%). But they are very complex and wonderful beers.

Warning - Unibroue is so atypical that their beers often seem to sit for a fairly long time, either in local warehouses or liquor stores, before selling. Check the bottles for dust, and avoid if necessary.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:03 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,246,370 times
Anchor and Unibroue aren't macrobrews.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 AM

928 posts, read 1,404,379 times
I appreciate both macro and micro beers for different reasons. Sometimes I'm just really in the mood for a good "cheap" beer! Some of my favorites are:

- Narragansett is #1 for me! I love their lager, bock, and other seasonals.
- Miller High Life
- Lone Star (very hard to find up here though)
- Modelo Especial
- Coors Light

Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 PM

11,195 posts, read 11,008,541 times
Quote:
I've been to several events where the beer choices were: Budweiser, Bud Light, or Yuengling. That's why Yuengling is such a big deal.

When better beers are available, I'll pass on Yuengling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages