U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:13 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,543,011 times

Advertisements

I'm quite a microbrew enthusiast and pretty into "good" beer, but that said there are plenty of macros I find perfectly enjoyable in a "just a plain-old cold beer" kind of way:

Negra Modelo
Budweiser
Sapporo
Pilsen
Pacifico

I really struggle with a few though. I can't deal with Corona, even a free one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 04:16 PM

3,665 posts, read 5,524,425 times
Blue Moon
Guinness
Newcastle
Corona
Red Stripe

Is Sam Adams "macro"?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 AM

8,192 posts, read 22,275,703 times
I personally do not mind Bud. I had the original "real Budweiser" in the Czech Republic back in 1999 and it was/is the same beer for the most part. I also like Coors, although I rarely drink it.

I drank a lot of Pabst, Olympia, Hamm's, Stroh's, Lucky, and so on back-in-the-day, but I can't stand much of them these days. I will drink Oly and Hamm's out of sentiment every so often (if I can find them), sometimes Old Style, too. Speaking of Hamm's, has anyone tried Hamm's dark. I've only seen it once in my life and on tap, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Old Style, used to be brewed by G.Heilemann's but I think now it is under the Pabst umbrella. Is really good ice cold (preferably from a cooler filled with ice) in the summertime. Really don't drink any other cheap beers. Back in the day used to drink Mickey's malt liquor, but I don't know if that is a macro.
Pabst is now owned by Miller. But yes, G. Heileman along with 10 or so others are also under Pabst with Pabst being the holding company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So what's stopping them?
Distribution. To be more specific; beer distributers for the most part just deliver the beer. Some may do sales themselves, but in general they do not. It is currently primarily up to the brewer[y] to sell and promote the beer, sometimes through the distributor. In some instances, distributors are "strictly" InBev or Miller-Coors. In others, state laws regarding importing/exporting alcohol, taxes, and a few other bits of regulation might make it financially difficult for a smaller brewer to distribute to that state (which is why, say, a six pack of Ship Yard can run $10 in Portland, ME. [where it is brewed/packaged] but retail for $8/six pack in California).

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I don't really get why Yuengling is such a big deal. The beer is fine, but nothing amazing...maybe the name is fun?
Because it is America's oldest continuously-operating brewery and for some reason is only distributed to half of the Northeast, half of the South, and Ohio.

Plus it is fun to say Yuengling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post

Is Sam Adams "macro"?
No. Unless things have changed recently, despite being available practically everywhere they still only have something like 1% of the market. They are in a "grey" area shared by Sierra Nevada, [formally]Red Hook, and a few others that were once micro, niche brews that appealed to a niche market 30 years ago or so. Yet, over time they became major players and were able to acquire massive market penetration even though they are still not available in many types of markets such as some sporting events, some concerts, some fairs, airlines, and so on. Really, the only reason why they are not macros is because they are still independently owned, which for the most part, is the only real difference between a macro and micro beer these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages