Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you get blitzed/hammered/sh*tface drunk?
Once a week or more often 25 14.71%
One a month 15 8.82%
A few times a year 33 19.41%
Once every year, on average 12 7.06%
I have gotten drunk before in recent years 18 10.59%
I never get drunk now, but used to 43 25.29%
Never 24 14.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I always worry when a person very close to me goes out to drink, because I worry she will get drunk. I would estimate that 50-80% of the times she drinks, she gets drunk. Not "good feeling" drunk. I'm talking about stumbling, needing to be carried, almost incomprehensible (speech) drunk, at the worst.

She is in her early 50's and has experienced several terrible things in her life in the last 10 years, including the passing of her husband. She doesn't go drink very often, but when she does, it's the whole bottle of wine, the whole box of beer, etc.

Do you engage in this practice very often?
Yes, but I always have a DD or I take a cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM

248 posts, read 310,365 times
Most people that drink exhibit alcoholic behavior. Go open an alcoholism pamphlet (or website) and go down the checklist to determine if you are an alcoholic or not (according to them). I guarantee you that anyone who has ever drank before could check off at least three of the behaviors.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 15,102 times
I drink a nice red wine with a big bowl of air-popped popcorn (hence the name)

Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, but I always have a DD or I take a cab.
I'm always the DD, so no getting smashed for me. I'd rather be recognized as the DD than the lush.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 AM

993 posts, read 1,559,884 times
I drink to get inebriated, but also note that I'm a young 20-something so that's likely to change as I get older.

I love wine and savor the taste, but I still have to have at least two glasses so I can get a buzz going. Liquor, of course, is my go to alcohol of choice for getting completely wasted.

Eating well is a big priority of mine, though, so drinking doesn't fit into my diet too often.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:02 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm always the DD, so no getting smashed for me. I'd rather be recognized as the DD than the lush.
Do your friends know you look down on them like that?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I always worry when a person very close to me goes out to drink, because I worry she will get drunk. I would estimate that 50-80% of the times she drinks, she gets drunk. Not "good feeling" drunk. I'm talking about stumbling, needing to be carried, almost incomprehensible (speech) drunk, at the worst.

She is in her early 50's and has experienced several terrible things in her life in the last 10 years, including the passing of her husband. She doesn't go drink very often, but when she does, it's the whole bottle of wine, the whole box of beer, etc.

Do you engage in this practice very often?

I know this thread is a few months old, but the OP really didn't explain himself, thoroughly, in terms of his lady friend. She doesn't drink very often, but when she does, 50 - 80% of the time she gets plastered. Well, I don't know how often is "not very often". For some people, not very often means once a month or once every three months. For others, it might be once or twice a year. And 50 - 80% of the time, she gets drunk....well that can be a difference between maybe a couple times a year or at most - 8 times a year. Let's say it's on the high end of my assumption - 8 times a year. Well, that's 8 times she gets plastered per year. So, 8 nights out of 365 nights a year, she's getting plastered. We all can probably give drinkers a pass for a couple times a year (New Year's, maybe even Christmas Eve for some folks...) so that would knock us down to 6 times a year. Are these special events she goes to or is this just simply going out to the bar or staying home? The OP doesn't tell us. My assumption is, the OP has a think for his lady friend and he's more worried about her getting taken advantage of by some guy than her drinking. Rightfully understandable.

I'm not condoning getting plastered. But, if one is only drinking (really) drinking a handful of times a year, and half of those times, she's getting drunk - that's pretty benign. I know people who get plastered at least every weekend if not two or three times a week just as the OP has described. THEY have a problem for sure!

I would say the majority of people who are in their earlier 20's probably engage in this "practice" as much as possible - some every weekend! The older you get, the more you realized your body can't take that type of abuse. For me, I have certain special events where I might be quite liberal with the alcohol, but for the most part, I'm usually drinking just enough to have a slight buzz and that's about it. I HATE hangovers, and I am always worried that I have that potential to become an alcoholic if I allowed it to happen, and I just don't plan on allowing myself to get into that sort of shape.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,040 times
I like to drink on occasion if there's something in the house, but getting hammered anymore is reserved for a few special holidays including New Years, St. Patty's day, and my birthday. Other than that, I might have a couple beers or glasses of wine and I'm done. I have alcoholism history in my family so I make sure I watch how often I drink, I'd like to be able to continue to enjoy it without becoming dependent on it. No way do I want to turn into the uncle that ALWAYS smelled of beer.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
To the OP I think your friend has a drinking problem. It is not cool to drink until you stagger around or need to be carried out of a place. How does she feel the next day? Embarrassed, sick, hungover?
I once dated a woman that could take it or leave drink but when she drank watch out she would wind up on the floor or thrown out of a place for causing trouble. She eventually went to AA and got it under control.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Do your friends know you look down on them like that?
Like what?

Don't take yourself so seriously, dude. I don't mind being the DD and I don't mind that my friends like to drink sometimes. Are you hung up on my use of the word smashed, or the word lush?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages