Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you get blitzed/hammered/sh*tface drunk?
Once a week or more often 25 14.71%
One a month 15 8.82%
A few times a year 33 19.41%
Once every year, on average 12 7.06%
I have gotten drunk before in recent years 18 10.59%
I never get drunk now, but used to 43 25.29%
Never 24 14.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:25 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,394,936 times

Advertisements

Very rarely anymore. I mostly drink beer and rarely enough to get me truly drunk, just buzzed. Sometimes I'll buy some vodka, which is a bad habit, because I usually end up drinking too much and getting drunk from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 12:50 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,332,920 times
For whatever reason, alcohol makes me sleepy. I can drink 5-6 beers on an weekend evening. It will give me a good buzz going. I don't ever drink to the point I can't barely walk on my 2 feet. I normally get drunk twice a week.

Sometimes, I will have a mixed drink, usually only when I go out to eat

Old 11-15-2014, 02:09 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,217,062 times
Depends on the mood, the day, etc.

Sometimes I get hammered, sometimes I don't. Usually it's just a nice buzz off some vino. However, it's much harder to recover from being hammered at 39 then it was at 21

Old 11-15-2014, 04:43 PM

388 posts, read 274,436 times
Does someone know anyone personally who has been drinking 4+ on daily basis for a long time and lives/lived a long, relatively healthy life?

Old 11-15-2014, 04:50 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,673,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meengla View Post
Does someone know anyone personally who has been drinking 4+ on daily basis for a long time and lives/lived a long, relatively healthy life?
I know people that have one or two most every day....and more a few times a week.....4 or more though...not really.

Everyone's tolerance and health issues are different....for some one drink a year is too much. Others could probably do just fine with moderate daily drinking.

There is simply no one answer.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 PM

22,319 posts, read 11,832,049 times
Having grown up with an alcoholic mother and a brother who also became one, I now stop at one drink. As is, I only have a drink about 2-3 times a month.

I've only been drunk a few times in my life---back in my college days.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I know people that have one or two most every day....and more a few times a week.....4 or more though...not really.

Everyone's tolerance and health issues are different....for some one drink a year is too much. Others could probably do just fine with moderate daily drinking.

There is simply no one answer.
Yes, there is no one answer.

I have read online that even 4 drinks/day is 'moderate' but 4 is a much higher number than up to 2/day per some 'guidelines'. And I also read accounts of people in Mediterranean region gulping down a bottle of wine per person per day but they seem to do that while eating their supper.

Be as it may, I have been relatively better starting September this year. One important decision I am making is not to keep liquor in the house anymore: Liquor is very easy to over-do for me. I can only tolerate a max of 3 beers at a time--too bloating/filling--and more than 3 glasses of wine (8 oz each) start giving scratchy throat.

PS. Here is my drinking history for the past week.Note, the drinking usually spans hours--enough to not cause drunkenness too often.
Saturday: Went out of town. Hotel stay next to bars. So about 10-12 drinks that whole day. One of the worst binge drinking in many months.
Sunday: Back home. Hung over. 1 shot of vodka. 1 8oz glass of merlot.
Monday: 1.5 8oz glasses of Sangria. Maybe 1 shot of some liquor
Tuesday: about 2 glasses of Sangria (8oz each)
Wednesday: Bad again. approx. 5-6 drinks (mixture of shots/wine)
Thursday: My solo night out. 6-7 drinks. shots/wine/ 1 pint of heavy beer. Plenty of food. Spanned 6 hours.
Friday: approx. 3-4 glasses of wine (Sangria/Cab Sav.)
Saturday (yesterday): 2 beer. 2 reds (6oz). 1 white (6oz).
Sunday (today): Nothing so far...But probably going to be about 3 total glasses of Sangrias/Cab Sav

Old 11-16-2014, 12:03 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,694,901 times
Quote:

PS. Here is my drinking history for the past week.Note, the drinking usually spans hours--enough to not cause drunkenness too often.
Saturday: Went out of town. Hotel stay next to bars. So about 10-12 drinks that whole day. One of the worst binge drinking in many months.
Sunday: Back home. Hung over. 1 shot of vodka. 1 8oz glass of merlot.
Monday: 1.5 8oz glasses of Sangria. Maybe 1 shot of some liquor
Tuesday: about 2 glasses of Sangria (8oz each)
Wednesday: Bad again. approx. 5-6 drinks (mixture of shots/wine)
Thursday: My solo night out. 6-7 drinks. shots/wine/ 1 pint of heavy beer. Plenty of food. Spanned 6 hours.
Friday: approx. 3-4 glasses of wine (Sangria/Cab Sav.)
Saturday (yesterday): 2 beer. 2 reds (6oz). 1 white (6oz).
Sunday (today): Nothing so far...But probably going to be about 3 total glasses of Sangrias/Cab Sav
I think this shows that people have different tolerance levels.

If I drank this much a week I would be done for. I will typically get a good buzz on once a month, and the rest of the time I'll drink 1-3 times in the week, 1-3 glasses of beer or wine.

Booze dehydrates me like no other, so I will typically avoid getting hammered. I could probably drink a glass or two of wine every night, but then I won't sleep as well if I don't drink anything, hence why I try not to drink every night.

This past week:

Sunday: 1 pint of Stout
Monday: Nothing
Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: 2 pints of Stout
Thursday: Nothing
Friday: Out, 3 pints at the bar, 3 pints at home...strong 10% beer, good buzz, not drunk.
Saturday: Nothing, water drinking day
Sunday: maybe a glass of wine with dinner, if not then just spring water

This is my typical schedule, I enjoy working out and booze can have a negative impact on my workout routine during the week.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I think this shows that people have different tolerance levels.
This past week:

Sunday: 1 pint of Stout
Monday: Nothing
Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: 2 pints of Stout
Thursday: Nothing
Friday: Out, 3 pints at the bar, 3 pints at home...strong 10% beer, good buzz, not drunk.
Saturday: Nothing, water drinking day
Sunday: maybe a glass of wine with dinner, if not then just spring water.
Yes, definitely tolerance level is a major factor. Even for me, by the end of September--my relatively driest month (except for a foreign trip in December) in years--I could feel the impact of more than two drinks as greater than usual. My tolerance had gone down already within a few weeks.

But I need to follow something like your routine. Perhaps I need to drink a lot of spring/bubbly water, diet green tea, yard work, participate in volunteer work--any diversion. As my Primary Care Provider said to me last year: "Don't let a hobby become an addiction."

Old 11-16-2014, 02:42 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,694,901 times
Quote:
But I need to follow something like your routine. Perhaps I need to drink a lot of spring/bubbly water, diet green tea, yard work, participate in volunteer work--any diversion. As my Primary Care Provider said to me last year: "Don't let a hobby become an addiction."
For me I notice that my mind is more there when I don't drink, hence why I typically hold it off for the weekends. I sleep better sober and I seem to just get more done. I think having plans or goals to accomplish things other than drinking is a good move. It seems some people do turn drinking into a hobby, as some of the locals will go to the watering hole on a nightly occurrence. Usually 2-3 times a year I will go completely sober for a few months, just because I'm not in the mood to drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages