Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you get blitzed/hammered/sh*tface drunk?
Once a week or more often 25 14.71%
One a month 15 8.82%
A few times a year 33 19.41%
Once every year, on average 12 7.06%
I have gotten drunk before in recent years 18 10.59%
I never get drunk now, but used to 43 25.29%
Never 24 14.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 AM

624 posts, read 762,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I shouldn't have voted in this poll before I read what you meant by "drunk". Although I get pretty buzzed once a week--I don't get smashed to the point where I need assistance.

I saw Elizabeth Vargas tonight where she considered herself an alcoholic for drinking one glass of wine a night. In my circle, that's responsible and restrained. She also admitted showing up to an interview drunk though, which is obviously a problem -- so I find it hard to believe she got that way on one glass.
Doesn't she weigh something like 95 pounds? I'm sure one glass of wine knocks her thru a loop, esp if she's drinking from a modern (larger) wine glass. I'm certain she is also drinking some quality wine, if that makes a diff. Don't know much about wine...

If you want to stop drinking and can't, no matter what the amount, you have a problem. JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
I'm in college. Drinking is the socially responsible thing to do, but not to drink so much it affects your studies.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:55 PM

66 posts, read 79,993 times
I drink regularly. 2-3 drinks a day, sometimes more. Some days I get a little too buzzed, but I usually drink to get a buzz in the first place. I'm sure a lot of people would judge and call me an alcoholic but I don't care.

I'm single, self-employed and function just fine. I'm responsible about it, that's the point.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair75 View Post
I drink regularly. 2-3 drinks a day, sometimes more. Some days I get a little too buzzed, but I usually drink to get a buzz in the first place. I'm sure a lot of people would judge and call me an alcoholic but I don't care.

I'm single, self-employed and function just fine. I'm responsible about it, that's the point.
i wouldn't worry about it. some people just can't mind their own damn business. as long as you're not hurting anybody or causing a disturbance then i don't see a problem.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,246 times
Everytime I drink ( which is about once a month) even if it's just a single glass of wine, I get tipsy. With that said, I've only been smashed four times in my life. Like DontH8Me, the last episode included a nice bottle of scotch, a long and cold spring evening and barely any food. Once I realized I was wasted (it hits me fast), I stumbled into bed leaving my husband to entertain. What a waste of good scotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I downed half a bottle of Scotch in about twenty minutes, and was it ever an eye opening experience.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 PM

66 posts, read 79,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i wouldn't worry about it. some people just can't mind their own damn business. as long as you're not hurting anybody or causing a disturbance then i don't see a problem.
Thanks. And I think some people have defined the term "alcoholic" a little too liberally.

If your drinking gets you in trouble with your family, friends, the law, etc., you are an alcoholic. That's my definition.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,294 times
I got absolutely trashed last night.. at uni I would say about 2-3 times a week. I get through a bottle of vodka and about 10 beers during a week at university, as well as drinks at clubs.

At home, I probably only drink every other week

Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,308 times
I'm hammered right now. Well, not really...just enjoying some Scotch.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:11 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,968 times
My son said Dad I've never seen you drunk. I said son, it could be you've never seen me sober!

Old 09-27-2014, 10:39 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Default What is the point of getting drunk, anyway?

I just don't get it. Even in college I only got drunk a few times, and I didn't derive any great pleasure from those experiences. It seems so juvenile and pointless to get drunk. Are people subconsciously rebelling against limits imposed in childhood? ("Look, I can do what mommy and daddy would not approve of.")? Or are they rebelling against society's rules? (Publicly drunk and disorderly)? Or is there something in their lives so painful and unpleasant that they seek to escape from it in a state of oblivion?

I have three to five drinks in the average week, almost never more than one a day at my age (70), so I am not against alcohol consumption. But I am talking here about getting DRUNK.

This is not a rhetorical question, because I would really like to understand the motivation and the rewards of a behavior that puzzles me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages