Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you get blitzed/hammered/sh*tface drunk?
Once a week or more often 25 14.71%
One a month 15 8.82%
A few times a year 33 19.41%
Once every year, on average 12 7.06%
I have gotten drunk before in recent years 18 10.59%
I never get drunk now, but used to 43 25.29%
Never 24 14.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

I always worry when a person very close to me goes out to drink, because I worry she will get drunk. I would estimate that 50-80% of the times she drinks, she gets drunk. Not "good feeling" drunk. I'm talking about stumbling, needing to be carried, almost incomprehensible (speech) drunk, at the worst.

She is in her early 50's and has experienced several terrible things in her life in the last 10 years, including the passing of her husband. She doesn't go drink very often, but when she does, it's the whole bottle of wine, the whole box of beer, etc.

Do you engage in this practice very often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
I don't approve of these depressing threads in this forum. Sounds like your friend may have a problem but maybe not if you say she doesn't go drink very often. Address it with her or hold an intervention. Or, mind your own business?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Sounds like you would get a lot of good information by attending an Al-Anon meeting or two. What your friend is doing doesn't sound like she has a healthy control of her drinking -- it's controlling her. But how to approach it, that's where the Al-anon folks can be very helpful.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I do get smashed a couple times a year, not deliberately. Christmas eve this year was an example. We had only been back from our 11 day cruise less than 24 hours when I had 14 here for dinner. Not only did I have all those for dinner, 2 were under 2 years old, and we did our gift exchange following the dinner. You couldn't see the living floor there were so many gifts, so I just sat there holding my wine. When a glass was empty, one of the wonderful grandkids would fill it. The next morning I started counting the bottle we went through, that explains why I wasn't quite sure who gave me what!!!! I will add, I had to finish shopping, cook and wrap our gifts, plus running errands and I didn't take much time to eat..who's fault was this? Mine of course,

Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
not every time i drink. it will range from once every couple of months to every other week, depending on the season. in the summer, it is more often for some reason. when i was younger, it was every time i drank, which was 2-3 times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do get smashed a couple times a year, not deliberately. Christmas eve this year was an example. We had only been back from our 11 day cruise less than 24 hours when I had 14 here for dinner. Not only did I have all those for dinner, 2 were under 2 years old, and we did our gift exchange following the dinner. You couldn't see the living floor there were so many gifts, so I just sat there holding my wine. When a glass was empty, one of the wonderful grandkids would fill it. The next morning I started counting the bottle we went through, that explains why I wasn't quite sure who gave me what!!!! I will add, I had to finish shopping, cook and wrap our gifts, plus running errands and I didn't take much time to eat..who's fault was this? Mine of course,
i got wrecked on christmas eve too. drank eggnog most of the day and then switched to scotch

Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I get trashed when I want to and I have a few drinks when I don't want to get trashed.

If I'm going out with my buddies I'll usually get pretty darn drunk. If I'm going out for lunch or dinner with a friend I'll have a drink or two.

I think people worry way too much about the lives of others and should focus on themselves. Unless your friend is a true alcoholic, going out and getting drunk is not that big of a deal. Just because you get drunk every time you drink does not matter, however if they're getting wasted every day there might be a problem.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,244,561 times
I get fairly drunk once a week when I go out to play poker and get absolutely trashed once in a while (maybe once every 2 months) when I go spend a weekend with friends.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:33 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
A few times a year it happens to me, but its not something I strive for. I drink often but not to the point of 'really drunk'. A little buzz does me fine.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
I'm really sensitive to alcohol. I need to sip one glass of wine very slowly to avoid feeling it too much! I know my limits.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I am just finishing off a nice bottle of French Bordeaux and must say it's quite nice feeling a bit tipsy. I actually haven't had a drink in months, not even for NYE, so there's that.

I only got smashed one time in my life - in the privacy of my own apartment many, many years ago. I did it to see how it worked. I downed half a bottle of Scotch in about twenty minutes, and was it ever an eye opening experience.

I'm glad I can handle my booze, and know my limits. Everyone should follow. me to the pool and go skinny dipping, ayaaayah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages