U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 PM

3,982 posts, read 5,760,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
If everyone admitted it, ALL beer tastes like crap!

The truth is everyone has to develop a taste for the awful stuff.

No thanks! I prefer to spend my money on crap vacations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You are correct! I tell this to everyone, and I typically ask them this..."can or do you like to drink warm beer". Beer in general is not very tasty...I think people have just grown to prefer the taste. If they made beer without alcohol I'm sure only a few people would like it.

I prefer wine, or like you said crap vacations
Clearly, neither of you has tried nor has any inkling of what good beer is. This may be a shock to you, but you acquire a taste for most things you eat or drink (including wine). Now, if you know anything about wine at all, you know that there are plenty of terrible wines out there (Boone's Farm, Arbor Mist, Franzia, Livingston Cellars, etc. -- to name the well known crap). The list of bad wine is both long and vast. So, in knowing this, how is it so hard to believe that there is both very good and very bad beer being that there are so many varieties and brewers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM

145 posts, read 215,682 times
I don't like the crappy beer either (I prefer stronger beer) but maybe they don't like the taste of strong beer or hoppy beers, or it's just what they're used to. I find it hard to drink things like Bud Light because I feel it has barely any taste to it and just too watered down and gross.

I guess I'm a bit of a beer snob, but I'm still young and I'm trying as much as I can. I really like beer so I enjoy tasting new beers I discover. I don't push what I like onto others though because I really don't care what they drink. I won't shun someone for drinking a Bud or Miller haha.

I had fun one night my coworkers took me out to drink before I left to go back to college, and went to a place which had a "beer bible" with over 200 selections of beer. I tried out a few trappist beers, expensive and high in alcohol content but very interesting the way they're served, and good. Very different from most beers I've had.

But if I'm out to eat with friends, there are some beers I don't mind. Like Rickard's or Sam Adams. They're fine for wing night and nachos and better than Bud Light. For lighter beers, I find Magic Hat enjoyable. Like people have said before, a time and a place for everything.

Last edited by Harmonica_Blues; 01-29-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,415,299 times
If Budweiser is $15.99/24, they drink it because they are heavy drinkers & can't afford more $$. I like Sierra Nevada Torpedo, $7.99/6 retail, $10.88/12 on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
There are truly world-class beers available for not a lot of money- I pay $7.99 a six-pack for Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery, which scores a 96 in independent reviews on Beer Advocate.

It just seems like a shame to waste perfectly good money on semi-fermented skunk **** flavored rice water, mass-marketed as a potable liquid by some mega-brewery.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 AM

16,397 posts, read 13,093,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Because it's cheap, because they're trying to get trashed on a budget, ore because they're simple bumpkins with unrefined palates.

You have conveniently left out the biggest reason: because many of us prefer it over all the others.
"Simple bumpkins with unrefined palates"? That's scary to think you believe that.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,474,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Clearly, neither of you has tried nor has any inkling of what good beer is. This may be a shock to you, but you acquire a taste for most things you eat or drink (including wine). Now, if you know anything about wine at all, you know that there are plenty of terrible wines out there (Boone's Farm, Arbor Mist, Franzia, Livingston Cellars, etc. -- to name the well known crap). The list of bad wine is both long and vast. So, in knowing this, how is it so hard to believe that there is both very good and very bad beer being that there are so many varieties and brewers?
Oh lookie! It's another someone who insists everybody be just like him/her!

Clue: Your taste or opinion is NOT superior. It is simply yours, and I'm not interested.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,600,385 times
The Definitive Ranking Of Canned Lagers, From Worst To Best

Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 AM

7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Its a fact that if a beer is served just above freezing (which is the whole selling point of Coors!) it has no taste. Your avg fizzy yellow beer drinker drinks their beer this way. So I would say that that person does not like the flavour of the beer. Its usually skulled rather than sipped over moderately. That to me, all ads up to not liking the stuff theyre drinking. Its basically an off tasting water as it goes down.

I get crap from the other side too, the are you chewing that, man that looks like sewage blah blah blah. Its all good. To each their own imho

Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,336,514 times
Skipping all other replies, I'll say: Cheap drunk?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,555 times
$16 bucks for a case of Bud?

Here it's 17.50 bucks for a 6 pack

There is no such thing as cheap alcohol in this country (Australia), the only place where beer can be found under $10 for a 6 pack is at Aldi. And forget about finding a case of average beer under $35 a case at the local bottle shop. You Americans don't know how lucky you are.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:47 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast Clag View Post
$16 bucks for a case of Bud?

Here it's 17.50 bucks for a 6 pack

There is no such thing as cheap alcohol in this country (Australia), the only place where beer can be found under $10 for a 6 pack is at Aldi. And forget about finding a case of average beer under $35 a case at the local bottle shop. You Americans don't know how lucky you are.
I would be homebrewing, for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages