U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 AM

71,925 posts, read 83,566,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
There are truly world-class beers available for not a lot of money- I pay $7.99 a six-pack for Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery, which scores a 96 in independent reviews on Beer Advocate.

It just seems like a shame to waste perfectly good money on semi-fermented skunk **** flavored rice water, mass-marketed as a potable liquid by some mega-brewery.
Compare your beer to say, Keg for starters; many people drink cheap beer cause the really can't afford quality; some drink it cause the really can't tell the difference and some actually like it. This is like saying, why do some people drink 2 buck Chuck wine and others only drink wines that cost $15 a bottle or more? Some people can't afford the better wines and some really don't care or know the difference.

I don't think any of us should be judging what others drink or eat for that matter. We are not beer drinkers much, hubby will drink one or two in the warm weather or with Mexican food. Usually he drinks something like Miller Lime or maybe a Mexican beer, he really doesn't care. I drink middle of the road wine, but will drink a cheap one as well, if I find one that I enjoy. Don't put too much credence into scores!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:
Lol, you're just not reading.

As I have already pointed out numerous times, you can get good beer for a price that is not materially higher than crap beer.

And if you can't afford good beer, you either have a drinking problem, a money problem, or both.

And it's not just my opinion- about 10,000 people have done independent reviews of Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light on Rate Beer, and they are so bad it's nearly impossible to assign a score to them.

I don't drink any of the beers you listed and what you consider a "world class" beer is probably very different than what I consider a "world class" beer.
I have read every word and I am still wondering why I wasted the time.
You have no idea my taste in beer as I do not know your taste in beer, so let me stress again, just because you think others are wasting their money on what you consider crappy beer does not mean they consider it crappy beer or a waste of money.

Also let me stress again, it is not your money so why in the world would you care what others drink?
Does this keep you up at night?
Does it give you anxiety?
Does it cause you to seek professional therapy?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 PM

12,899 posts, read 8,730,792 times
Crappy beer is the kind of beer that you drink and quickly evaporates in your mouth and leaves this stingy sensation with no flavor or complexity at all. I prefer beers that leaves some level of sweetness and bitterness in combo then turns to sourness the more you drink it.

Almost all domestic beers lack complexity, too much carbonation.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM

29 posts, read 31,788 times
About now, no beer could be bad!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 PM

4,244 posts, read 2,084,896 times
Default Great American Beer Festival

"The Great American Beer Festival is the premier U.S. beer festival and competition."

Uh huh.

Last year they gave a gold medal to Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch.

And in 2012 they gave one to Pabst Blue Ribbon.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/

It would seem that there's truly no accounting for taste.

The OP has left the building, by the way.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:47 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
I have never taken the GABF seriously at all. Bud Select got a gold in 2013 too ...

Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,415,299 times
Actually IPAs vary a great deal. They make some for those new to the style & some that are more extreme for those used to the style. If you can find a store with a a large selection of singles you might not go broke trying many. Big liquor stores often have experts that once they know your tastes they may be able to advise you. If you want somewhat hoppy beers but not extreme, look over what is best in pale ales. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good one for just $1 or so per bottle. It is 38 IBUs hoppy vs S/N Torpedo 65 IBUs. By comparison, Budweiser is 15 IBUs.

I like Beer Advocate dot com but think subtract 20 points for micros, add 20 points for macros. I hope this is of help to you. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
So that there is more left for you! People have to learn to have discerning tastes. Some haven't, some don't want to, and some just decide, in the end, they like the rice beers. Personal tastes. I cannot handle hoppy beers. I like ambers and porters. So, because I don't like hoppy beer, do I lack taste? There are a LOT more IPA's out there than the sweeter, darker beers.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,320,954 times
Quote:
There are truly world-class beers available for not a lot of money- I pay $7.99 a six-pack for Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery, which scores a 96 in independent reviews on Beer Advocate.

It just seems like a shame to waste perfectly good money on semi-fermented skunk **** flavored rice water, mass-marketed as a potable liquid by some mega-brewery.
Well, pricing varies. I might be able to find Black Butte for $7.99 around my parts, but realistically, I would expect to pay $9.99-$10.99 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

I have several colleagues who enjoy both micro- and macrobrews and once asked what their go to beer is...the responses are usually BEAST, NATTY ICE, Keystone, etc. It's the same with wine as well. Generally these people like to drink more then they let on, and they drink these brands because they are cheaper. Some prefer the drinkability of the cheaper stuff too, it's like drinking water.
Ironically, they would spend less money if the bought the more expensive stuff. Typically, these beers have lowered ABVs. Milwuakee's Best has an ABV of 4.3%. Keystone Premium is 4.4%. Natural Ice is the "winner" here at 5.9%. The light versions of these brands is around 4.1%. Granted, the craft versions of these same styles run similar ABVs, but this makes the assumption that all beers are the same style (beer). A six pack of Raging B**ch (8.3%) would have these fools on the floor by their fourth one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
IMHO people who drink the fizzy yellow stuff don't really like beer. There is no real flavour except for a vomit type taste that s only there briefly as you skull the drink. Its extremely cheap and easy to catch a buzz off of it for most. I think the fact they drink the stuff ice cold shows they don't like beer as there is very little taste at that temperature.

Cold and refreshing yes, tasty and satisfying ... nope.
Eh, at some point in the beginning beer is nasty to everyone. You are correct with the whole "ice cold beer" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
typically beer snob
Naw, I am a beer aficionado. I may not buy Milwuakee's Best, but I will gladly accept one and drink it with you. I have my preferences, though. Also, the whole pairing beer with food thing makes me want to get stabby.

Quote:
It also cracks me up when people intentionally seek out one particular brand of crap beer- there have been many blind tests, and people who claim they can taste the difference between crap beer "A" and crap beer "B", simply cannot.

80% of all the beers in the world, are made by breweries owned by two companies: Anheuser-Busch Inbev, and SABMiller. The bulk of all these trendy little pseudo-micro beers consumed by those who don't know any better, are simply more crap beers made by the same two companies.
I guarantee you I can blind test Bud, Miller, and Coors and get each one correct. Heck, through in a Lowenbrau and Olympia, too. Now, Milwaukee's Best, Natural Ice, Pabst, Black Label, Shlitz, etc...well those would be harder to distinguish.

To be fair, most who drink micro/craft beer tend to stick to a particular brand/style. Put 100 IPAs against each other and you are going to have 100 different beers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You are correct! I tell this to everyone, and I typically ask them this..."can or do you like to drink warm beer". Beer in general is not very tasty...I think people have just grown to prefer the taste. If they made beer without alcohol I'm sure only a few people would like it.

I prefer wine, or like you said crap vacations
Yup to the warm beer. But, honestly if there were a nonalcoholic version of SNPA, I'd still buy it on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
For the most part, I guess I like crap beer. More often than not, I'd prefer a Bud to a micro brew. It's what I like. My question to you would be, "Why do you like that expensive crap?" You probably think it tastes better. Fine, then drink it. I like Bud better. Can you let me enjoy it without bashing it or me?
Because of the usually higher ABV in the beers I choose to drink, I drink less of the expensive stuff and in the end, pay less money. But hey, I do like the BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) beers. I also have a preference for IPAs, so what am I gonna do? I also like warm/room-temp beers.

I personally do not care what a person drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nope. Did you?

One could easily ask the reverse: Why do some people waste so much money on crappy expensive beer? You wouldn't think someone was a little off if they described your personal preference in beer as "crap"?

Everyone has preferences; mine are none of your business, and yours are none of mine.

Of course, if everyone minded their own business about personal preferences, that would reduce the number of threads on City-Data by 98 percent. Which may actually be a good thing.
Well, first off I do not see it as "wasting" money, and depending on the brand/style, in most instances the micro/craft beer is only a few more dollars. I used to buy Chuck Taylors when I was younger because they were cheap and I was "broke". This was back when Chuck's were still $20 or so. Here is the thing, they fell apart left-and-right. I was getting a new pair every 3-4 months if they even lasted that long. One day, I got fed up with buying those darn shoes all the time so I finally choked it up and bought a pair of $100 shoes. Those $100 shoes lasted three years. Micro-brewed/craft beer, at least the ones that I drink, have a higher ABV than the typical BMC beer. I can drink a six pack of Bud and then continue to drink more. When I drink an IPA, with an ABV between 7%-8%, I only drink two, sometimes three, and I am good to go.

I also get excited when I am in a new town and go to a new bar or liquor store and see all of these brands of beers that are also new to me. The good thing about BMC is that they are constantly the same no matter where you go. The good thing about the micro/craft beer is that depending on market, you have the opportunity to experience something new and/or different. Granted the BMC crowd more-than-likely does not want anything new, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just like beer. I get excited for beer. It is hard to get excited for a Bud in Tallahassee when it is the same Bud you had in Seattle.

As I mentioned above, I actually like the taste of Bud (Bud Lite, though, no thank you), and Miller (High Life), and Coors. But these are not beers I would purchase often. I like maltier beers and I like hoppier beers

Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 AM

1,637 posts, read 3,601,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
"The Great American Beer Festival is the premier U.S. beer festival and competition."

Uh huh.

Last year they gave a gold medal to Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch.

And in 2012 they gave one to Pabst Blue Ribbon.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/

It would seem that there's truly no accounting for taste.

The OP has left the building, by the way.
GABF IS the premier beer festival in the country. That is why tens of thousands of people attend every year and virtually every brewer in the country has a booth.

Look at the other beers in those categories. The big guys enter the competition every year and even set up booths at the fest. It's not like they beat out a beer from a craft brewery. They are judged based on style guidelines not personal taste. I think it is kind of silly but whatever. They're still crap beer.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:51 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
It's not like they beat out a beer from a craft brewery.
Actually, they do annually, just not with their big brands. I remember in 2012 Big Eddy RIS won a bronze, which is from MillerCoors (I remember because that beer is great). The SandLot division wins medals annually in typical craft categories...I think that is their innovation group...I stop at that booth every year. I think their Leinenkugel's and Blue Moon breweries win every year, too.

I'm guessing ABI wins with their Goose Island beers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages