U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,567,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You are correct! I tell this to everyone, and I typically ask them this..."can or do you like to drink warm beer". Beer in general is not very tasty...I think people have just grown to prefer the taste. If they made beer without alcohol I'm sure only a few people would like it.

I prefer wine, or like you said crap vacations
Erm they do make beer without alcohol. I enjoy it and drink it when I fancy a beer but don't want to get drunk. I also had a friend who at the time didn't drink alcohol at all but would drink the alcohol-free beers when at the pub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 AM

8,192 posts, read 22,292,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
There are truly world-class beers available for not a lot of money- I pay $7.99 a six-pack for Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery, which scores a 96 in independent reviews on Beer Advocate.

It just seems like a shame to waste perfectly good money on semi-fermented skunk **** flavored rice water, mass-marketed as a potable liquid by some mega-brewery.
Also, the problem with "world-class" is that you would have to stick to lagers and perhaps Pilsner-style beers because these seem to be most popular through-out the world. The American craft beer scene, although predominantly taken from already "old world" styles, is for the most part, an American phenomenon. Granted, there are micro and craft beers found throughout the world, but what we do here is almost distinctly our own.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM

8,192 posts, read 22,292,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Actually, they do annually, just not with their big brands. I remember in 2012 Big Eddy RIS won a bronze, which is from MillerCoors (I remember because that beer is great). The SandLot division wins medals annually in typical craft categories...I think that is their innovation group...I stop at that booth every year. I think their Leinenkugel's and Blue Moon breweries win every year, too.

I'm guessing ABI wins with their Goose Island beers...
Well, I remember when Leinies was only available in Wisconsin and Minnesota....and just as gross back then as it is today.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:27 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,409,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, I remember when Leinies was only available in Wisconsin and Minnesota....and just as gross back then as it is today.
Really? Maybe you are talking about the old pilsner they have, I rarely see it anymore. I thought the Canoe Paddler (Kolsch with rye) that won at GABF was pretty good. The helles they make has an interesting twist too. For sure they make beers that are easy to drink, but they seem to be getting creative. I also liked the vanilla porter they had out in December.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,595,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Actually, they do annually, just not with their big brands. I remember in 2012 Big Eddy RIS won a bronze, which is from MillerCoors (I remember because that beer is great). The SandLot division wins medals annually in typical craft categories...I think that is their innovation group...I stop at that booth every year. I think their Leinenkugel's and Blue Moon breweries win every year, too.

I'm guessing ABI wins with their Goose Island beers...
Good point in the goose island stuff. What I meant was within that category. Malt liquor light beer etc... I don't remember the specific categories but the fizzy yellows tend to stick together. I wasn't diving into their sub brands and the former craft brands or fake craft brands they own.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,409,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Good point in the goose island stuff. What I meant was within that category. Malt liquor light beer etc... I don't remember the specific categories but the fizzy yellows tend to stick together. I wasn't diving into their sub brands and the former craft brands or fake craft brands they own.
got it, makes sense. Yeah, craft brewing don't compete in American Light Lager categories, etc.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM

334 posts, read 356,698 times
Some people just simply don't care what they drink, or they find one beer that they like and stick only with that forever. My parents have drank the exact same beer for as long as I can remember. Personally I think a couple of the mass-produced beers are okay, but there is simply too much variety out there for me ever just drink those beers and never anything else. I like trying new things, and it's awesome finding a really good beer that you've never had before.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 PM

23 posts, read 26,327 times
Because often crap beer means cheap beer. I will not buy the crap beer as it tastes awful to me. No Old Mill, PBR, or Busch lite for me.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 PM

72 posts, read 99,907 times
I like hoppy IPAs. The hoppier the better. I really enjoy the taste and I look forward to purchasing them. But sometimes I really crave and seek out an ice cold Bud! Yeah, it isn't as flavorful but sometimes it just hits the spot!

It's kind of like foie gras and a nice dry aged rib eye are great! I love them but I also enjoy a big mac and some McNuggets on occasion.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM

254 posts, read 319,508 times
While there has been a lot of good discussion and many great points made, I think the most obvious reason people drink crap beer has been entirely overlooked. At least most, if not ALL, crap beer drinkers do so simply to give other people something with which to feel superior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages