U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,331,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Really? Maybe you are talking about the old pilsner they have, I rarely see it anymore. I thought the Canoe Paddler (Kolsch with rye) that won at GABF was pretty good. The helles they make has an interesting twist too. For sure they make beers that are easy to drink, but they seem to be getting creative. I also liked the vanilla porter they had out in December.
Yup, it was the "basic" Linnies with a beige label if I recall. I used to get it in Minneapolis and sometimes 'Sconnie for $12 a case (returnable bottles). They always had a range of beers. I toured their brewery back in '98 or '99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,043,147 times
That is how you show how Kool you are to your friends and other people at the bar. You know today it's all about how you look at all times......
I am very uncouth, I still drink Coors Light going on 35 years now. Why? Because it just tastes good.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,995,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

Where did this idea come from that everyone should like what YOU (not you personally, OP) like? Everyone has different tastes. McDonald's sells a ton of hamburgers. Do they make the best? Not in my opinion, but to some people, maybe they do. Apple sells a lot of smart phones. Do they make the best? I don't think so, but some people do.

Everyone is different.
I really don't get this logic. Sure, everyone likes different things. But we can obviously grade those things without judging the consumers, right? If someone told you that they love McDonald's hamburgers, it is what they like to eat; and that it was the best ever; better than local burgers; to each there own; snobs die in hell - what would you think?

I think the broad message has been lost and sabotaged on this thread. No one is saying that people shouldn't drink PBR and Bud Lite. Just dont pretend that these beer(s) even come close to the quality of brews from top micro-breweries around the country (and world).

You may love the Italian food (unlimited salad and bread) at Olive Garden. Just dont tell me that its food is equivalent to the food at Enoteca Pinchiorri, Florence. That's all.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:20 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I think the broad message has been lost and sabotaged on this thread. No one is saying that people shouldn't drink PBR and Bud Lite. Just dont pretend that these beer(s) even come close to the quality of brews from top micro-breweries around the country (and world).
I'm not sure what you really mean here by "quality". That they have: different tastes, stronger flavors, ease of drinking, more complex flavors, consistent flavor, good ingredients, clean brewing practices, brewed to style, consistent brewing...what? I would say it is a mixed bag.

Some of the best and worst beers come from micro brewers...just like macros.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:34 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,995,423 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you really mean here by "quality". That they have: different tastes, stronger flavors, ease of drinking, more complex flavors, consistent flavor, good ingredients, clean brewing practices, brewed to style, consistent brewing...what? I would say it is a mixed bag.

You are creating a false equivalency.
If I told you that In-N-Out makes BETTER burgers than McDonald's ---- would you then ask me ... based on what?
Is it better based on the bread or ketchup or feel or texture or meat or grilling (micro-waving) style or onions?

Things you listed like tastes or stronger/weaker flavors are vague preferences. What best beer comes from macros?

And I am not saying that all beers from all micros are god-send. I am essentially saying that the best beer of any kind (say IPA) from a micro will never find a match from a macro. Ever!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:51 PM

10,558 posts, read 13,121,143 times
Because a lot of people have very bad taste.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:20 PM

3,664 posts, read 5,548,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You are creating a false equivalency.
If I told you that In-N-Out makes BETTER burgers than McDonald's ---- would you then ask me ... based on what?
Is it better based on the bread or ketchup or feel or texture or meat or grilling (micro-waving) style or onions?

Things you listed like tastes or stronger/weaker flavors are vague preferences. What best beer comes from macros?

And I am not saying that all beers from all micros are god-send. I am essentially saying that the best beer of any kind (say IPA) from a micro will never find a match from a macro. Ever!
Based on what?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:29 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,752,019 times
I drink Old Style because I consider it the best chaser for a shot of VO. That's what I like beer for, a chaser.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:16 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,331,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
That is how you show how Kool you are to your friends and other people at the bar. You know today it's all about how you look at all times......
I am very uncouth, I still drink Coors Light going on 35 years now. Why? Because it just tastes good.
For what it is worth, the cool kids drink macros because you know, it is ironic.

Quote:

I prefer micros (and nanos) because they are the one's who brew the styles that I like at a price I can afford. I mean, I can either spend upwards of $15 for a (sometimes small) bottle of real German helles, or I can pick up a six pack of helles from a local micro for at least the same price (but usually cheaper). So for me it is partially brewed to style, partially brewed in America, and partially price even though many micros offer $15 bottles of beer, too.

As for quality, I disagree but would like to consider what exactly do we mean be quality? When it comes to beer production, you will almost never brew the exact same beer twice without the use of some very expensive equipment that can watch over and pick through the entire process with a fine-tooth comb. The macros can afford that equipment while Joe's Podunk Beer cannot afford such control. The bigger micros can, too, but take something like Sierra Nevada's Harvest Ale. It is going to be different year-to-year even though it is the same recipe.

Macro brews also have had decades upon decades to craft their beer into a "perfect" product with the aid of master brewers who know beer/brewing science inside and out, and, despite what some will tell you, many of their recipes come from the old world (although adjusted for available grains, hops, yeast, and water profiles). The vast majority of micros simply have not been around long enough to truly craft their beers. A lot of micros are, despite having the knowledge, a couple of dudes sitting around experimenting with different ingredients until they find something that they like and decide to produce.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM

632 posts, read 694,130 times
You spend a lot of years struggling to get by financially, and its all you can afford.
You develop a taste for it. Then after things have improved, it has a strange comfort
food nostalgia about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages