U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,460,248 times

Advertisements

When the important is quantity, not quality.
Best Brau here costs 5 cents per can, it's pretty convenient although the quality is scarce to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:33 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You are creating a false equivalency.
If I told you that In-N-Out makes BETTER burgers than McDonald's ---- would you then ask me ... based on what?
Is it better based on the bread or ketchup or feel or texture or meat or grilling (micro-waving) style or onions?

Things you listed like tastes or stronger/weaker flavors are vague preferences. What best beer comes from macros?

And I am not saying that all beers from all micros are god-send. I am essentially saying that the best beer of any kind (say IPA) from a micro will never find a match from a macro. Ever!

I could easily tell you why I like In n out better than McDonalds. I like the grilled onions, the big tomato, and the mouthfeel of the meat of the burger better. That adds up to a burger I prefer, although I know people that like McD's. I also like watching them cut the fries at In N Out. Other things generally even out...they both seem clean, the actual process of getting the food to me doesn't matter as long as it doesn't hurt me.

What macro beers could be considered best?
Have you tried the Big Eddy line of beers from Leinenkugels? Really awesome beers. IIPA is great, the scotch ale is top notch, maybe the best Oktoberfest (Imperial) I ever had, the Russian Imperial Stout is really good. Probably most of the beers on my worst list come from micros, along with some of the best. The macros are pretty void of solid IPAs for some reason, that is interesting, I hadn't thought about it.

Even in the basic big American styles, if you are looking at low calorie, light beers, the big brewers brew these very well. I am sure these are favorites for many people. Maybe the best pilsner beer in the world is owned by SABMiller, Pilsner Urquell.

My point is that all brewers can make excellent beers, and many people look at the big brewers for only their most popular beers, not their full line-up. I am not a big brewer lover, I somehow just got annoyed with this "micro is best" thing, so i end up defending the big brewers.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,477,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
People who drink crap beer don't actually like beer- they just like to pee a lot.
Because people like what they like - simple as that.

My wife and I are both very much craft beer nerds (but not snobs), but if someone wants to drink Coors Light or PBR, no skin off my nose, and I don't even bother giving it a second thought. I could give a s**t about what other people are drinking. If I was really that concerned about the beer others choose to drink, I might also waste time wondering why people listen to crap music like Nickelback, watch crap movies like Transformers, or waste their time watching a bunch of NASCAR drivers go around in circles for hours.

But I don't. I really don't have an opinion of others' personal preferences.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,571,287 times
Some of them are actually quite good. Miller High Life is one of my fave "crap" or macro brews, whatever you wanna call it.

I'm not a fan of AB/Inbev stuff though at all.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,368,328 times
Some of these "crap" beers aren't all that bad and you know what else... they're usually cheaper.

When I head to the bar and they serve $1 Coors or Miller Light Drafts guess what I'm getting? I can have 5 or 6 of those at the same cost for someone to get one specialty beer...

Old 04-14-2014, 10:27 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,876,260 times
Bad beer sells big: The Corona coup- MSN Money

Because the image makes them feel good?

I've had Corona and I think it stinks, even with a lime. The Mexican locals think its cheap crappy tourist beer (like Patron as tequila), but whitey buys it.

Am I a snob? maybe, but I've had a taste for hoppier beer. So Ive drifted toward IPAs.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 PM

632 posts, read 694,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Some of these "crap" beers aren't all that bad and you know what else... they're usually cheaper.

When I head to the bar and they serve $1 Coors or Miller Light Drafts guess what I'm getting? I can have 5 or 6 of those at the same cost for someone to get one specialty beer...
George Wendt pointed out in his book about beer that none of these companies would have grown
to be multi-billion dollar conglomerates by selling bad beer. In his view relatively few beers are actually
"bad". Particularly if they are ice cold, and if it is a warm day.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:55 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,761,232 times
Social pressure? Convenience? Price? I like a Corona once in awhile.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM

16,398 posts, read 13,101,444 times
Worst I've ever had was Sam Adams.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,275,038 times
Fresh vs stale can make a lot of difference. The first time I ever really liked beer was when I tasted Budweiser on tap. I've found a lot better beer since then, but the freshness made a lot of difference.

I love Sam Adams, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages