Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
There are truly world-class beers available for not a lot of money- I pay $7.99 a six-pack for Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery, which scores a 96 in independent reviews on Beer Advocate.

It just seems like a shame to waste perfectly good money on semi-fermented skunk **** flavored rice water, mass-marketed as a potable liquid by some mega-brewery.

So that there is more left for you! People have to learn to have discerning tastes. Some haven't, some don't want to, and some just decide, in the end, they like the rice beers. Personal tastes. I cannot handle hoppy beers. I like ambers and porters. So, because I don't like hoppy beer, do I lack taste? There are a LOT more IPA's out there than the sweeter, darker beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blansten View Post
I respect that. My personal tastes are different, but I respect yours. For me, this whole IPA penis-measuring hop contest could be solved by just eating a pine tree.

So what else do you really like?
Haha, yeah, sometimes (although rarely IMO) the hops can be overdone. More isn't always better. I had a good IPA recently that was a bit on the hoppy side from Victory, Hop Devil IIRC. Obviously any of my less-remembered musings can be confirmed by Googling (or Beer Advocating). Victory's Helios is one of my favorite non-IPAs; I think it's considered a saison but it has a unique flavor compared to the other few saisons I've had. Sometimes I get Dundee IPA, which for $7 per sixpack is the most economical choice I see, and is IMO better than some of the competition. I had a great spiced IPA (possibly a seasonal) from Widmer Brothers recently that I included in a custom sixpack at the grocery store...if that were to be available on a scale larger than a stray bottle on the shelves here and there, I'd buy again. Had a delicious black IPA at a bar recently; Hamburg, I think? Stone's Arrogant Bastard is a longtime favorite, and I think the message on the label of that beer would very much appeal to your sensibilities, heh. Haven't tried Ruination yet, which I sometimes see available in 4-pack form. A few rye IPAs, most notably Great Lakes' Rye Of The Tiger (most commonly get that or Harpoon's Rye IPA) are amongst my favorites. And I've never had a bad beer produced by Southern Tier...besides their aforementioned IPA, their seasonals and imperial IPAs are all thoroughly enjoyable. Pumking is a must purchase for me when September rolls around

Also, as a resident of the Buffalo area, apparently a rather-recently-opened local brewery called Community Brew Works produces an IPA that won some national competition (what competition specifically, I do not know)...so once this current blizzard (legitimate blizzard, as defined by the National Weather Service) subsides I need to get over to their small facility in an out-of-the-way part of town and get a growler or four of that.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blansten View Post
It was Benjamin Franklin, who said "Beer is proof that God loves us, and He wants us to be happy.". I SERIOUSLY doubt he was talking about Corona, Heineken, Bud Light, or Nasty Ice.
Harrier seriously doubts the veracity of 99.9% of what you have posted in this thread, under either name.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
In my 20's I drank Lucky Schwager when we went dirt biking. We liked the stupid puzzles.

After visiting Europe I don't drink schwag no more. After you have had a find Czech, German, or Belgian beer you can't drink Buttwiper or Rocky Mountain ****, no thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Deschutes Brewery is the best beer I drank in Germany. It was stout like?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:33 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I'm usually a beer hater because it tastes like skunk juice to me.

But when I was in Germany I drank their beer. It was totally different and it was good.

My husband brings home Guinness and some English beers and ales with which he is familiar and they taste good to me too. Some of the micro brewery beer tastes good.

But the usual American beers that people drink still taste horrible, watery and skunky. For what my uneducated opinion is worth.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
I really need to borrow Gurn's "IPA penis-measuring hop contest" line next time I try and explain my non-preference for current IPAs.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
sometimes i'll drink "crap" beer, sometimes i'll drink good microbrew craft beers. i dont drink the crap malt beers anymore, but i still crave a PBR sometimes

people drink "crap" beer for obvious reasons:

-it's all they can afford
-they are set in their ways
-they are underage and that is what is available to them
-they actually like the taste of it.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Everyone's tastes are different. Mind your own business and you won't have anything to complain about.
I agree !

I drink my low price beer ( Old Milwaukee) because I like it.

I guess I could be vain and buy more expensive beer in an attempt to impress others, but that is not me.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Have you ever tried to cut an acre with a push mover in 100F drinking craft beer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages