U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,908,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
There are truly world-class beers available for not a lot of money- I pay $7.99 a six-pack for Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery, which scores a 96 in independent reviews on Beer Advocate.

It just seems like a shame to waste perfectly good money on semi-fermented skunk **** flavored rice water, mass-marketed as a potable liquid by some mega-brewery.
Because I don't waste my money on High Priced Alcohol.

I like my 5.9% beer for $14.99 a case before taxes which when
divided by 4 will make it about 3.75 a six pack, leaving me a 4.25 savings
per six pack.

I also by my Vodka for $10.99 a 1.75 litter bottle which suits me just fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
So you admit you buy just to get buzzed and dont like the flavour ? =)

Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM

304 posts, read 856,743 times
Disclosure: I prefer microbrews though I have tried most every major macrobrew from Bud to Beast in my college years (and even recently for some great bachelor parties, haha).

I will pretty much try ANY beer, big or small brewery (esp. if free!), that I have not yet tasted as reviews are typically unreliable when it comes to my palette.

I don't get mad at people that drink the more mainstream beers, if they like it that is great for them just as a nice microbrew is great for me

I guess I only feel bad for people that have only had let's say Miller Lite all their lives and absolutely refuse to try a more "flavorful" beer (subjective, I know) because they "think" that it will be bad...or maybe they did try some 13% bourbon stout and instantly wrote off all microbrews...that'd be like having a bold cabernet as your very first wine, hating it then refusing to taste a gewurztraminer because all wine is "too bitter or dry."

I generally don't like pilsners but still even try those hoping that one day I'll find one I like. Life is too short to complain about what beers we all like, why don't we all just have a brew and agree to disagree?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,729,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So you admit you buy just to get buzzed and dont like the flavour ? =)

Based on what ?

I certainly didn't see that in his post !

Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM

304 posts, read 856,743 times
Oh and another thing, personally I think it is detrimental to both the pro-micro and pro-macrobrews' platforms(?) when they describe the opposing beer as panther **** or overpriced snob beer.

We're all adults here (hopefully?), I think we'd all be taken more seriously if we either flat-out say we did not like the taste of X beer (with optional "because it is too hoppy/gives me a headache/etc.) and/or politely declined a beer we had already tried and did not like and just moved on...ok, that's enough kumbaya, haha

Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM

3,664 posts, read 5,544,586 times
People drink PBR, Miller, etc because it's easily accessible and cheap. There are a lot of places that don't offer any microbrews for hundreds of miles. I think it's also safe to assume that a lot of those people have no idea microbrews exist, or at the very least where to begin. They are accustomed to what they know and that is hard to break. I do know that once I went from crappy Miller and what not to microbrews like Great Lakes I never looked back.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Based on what ?

I certainly didn't see that in his post !
Well my post was in jest, but usually when people mention the percent and how cheap the beer is they are generally fizzy yellow beer drinkers who drink it ice cold as they dont like the flavour. You cannot taste full flavour at ice cold. I am sure I am occasionally wrong on this judgement but its usually the case that I am right.

I am not a beer snob by any stretch, I just love good beer. I love trying something new and I brew my own beer. My Grandfather and Great Grandfather both worked for Guinness in Dublin.

I typically avoid a beer that has the word "craft" on it and I have left breweries after talking to brewmasters and barmen(women) when they talk about craft craft craft craft craft. Ill block out people into blah blah land when they go all craft on me like its a badge of honour. Why ? Cause theyre usually gob****es and I can see why somebody who drinks Miller Lite wouldnt want to go have a beer with them because theyre boring and uppity and take beer over to a level that wine is at. Its not supposed to be, men drink beer and talk about work, sports, beer and women its how it should be. Leave the pretentiousness(sp) at home.

I also have a confession in that I do enjoy the occasional Mickey 40oz =) Yes not ice cold either.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I think it's also safe to assume that a lot of those people have no idea microbrews exist
Oh, no, it's very dangerous to assume such things, especially when Miller Lite and Budweiser co-exist on taps and in retail establishments right along with craft and other beers in nearly every bar in the country ...

Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
5 pages in, and I still don't get how someone is lame enough to care?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
I'm guessing they'll drink it because they enjoy it, it hit's their price point, it's readily available, habit or some combination ..... I have no problems with any of those reasons

I drink all over the spectrum from mass macros, to mass micros, to regional micros to local crafts that don't bottle ......... there are some in each I like and some I do not

Everyone has different tastes and flavor profiles, production, etc will interplay with each person differenty.

For example, I can drink Budweiser and Coors original but cannot do Coors Light (just tastes really sour to me) or Miller Lite (somewhere in the 2nd one I just feel bloated like I can't drink anything else) ....... kind of nuts, but it's consistent.

My palate goes for more hop driven beers, but there are times where I want a different style

My wife doesn't like hoppy beers - so frequently we end up compromising at the store ...... she's expanded a bit and I've found some I really like as well

Then there are times where I'm looking at a 6 pack of a beer I really like priced at $9 and an 18 pack of Bud for $12 and I'll just go for the quantity play
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages