Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,153,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Generally these people like to drink more then they let on, and they drink these brands because they are cheaper. Some prefer the drink ability of the cheaper stuff too, it's like drinking water.
If someone wants to DRINK they don't even have to like the taste. Sip the first 2 or so slowly and get them down. After that they don't taste bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,207,435 times
The same reason people eat at chains. They're relatively cheap and you get more for your dollar. People who prefer quality don't tend to drink cheap beer or eat at chains. Americans prefer quantity over quality in most situations.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,647,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
The same reason people eat at chains. They're relatively cheap and you get more for your dollar. People who prefer quality don't tend to drink cheap beer or eat at chains. Americans prefer quantity over quality in most situations.
If you want to generalize Americans overall, yes, you are probably right.

But how do you explain people like me who are regulars at nanobreweries and ALSO have Miller Light in their fridge?

How about music. How do you explain people like me who listen to mainstream nonsense like Kelly Clarkson as well as Harry Nilsson and The Hollies?

Everyone likes what they like and there is no right answer.

By the way, if anyone is passing though Indy and wants to check out our BEST local brewery (IMO, of course), here you go: BIER Brewery - Come Tast Our Awesomeness! Don't listen to the people who tell you to hit up Sun King or Flat 12.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,207,435 times
You left out Three Floyds. Wait, nevermind. Indy doesn't refer to the state. My bad.

I don't know why you have Miller Light in your fridge? I don't care either.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:53 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,211,826 times
Lager (yellow fizzy crap as you call it) definitely has its place (though of course there are varying levels of quality when it comes to lager). I very much enjoy a lager, especially on a hot day, and the lager I drink I can happily drink warm (though of course prefer it cold, not ice cold though). I've always also very much enjoyed real ale and stouts and porters although I can't drink any of them anymore because of the gluten (although I get some gluten free IPA when I go to the UK).

Old 01-10-2014, 12:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,229,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
If you want to generalize Americans overall, yes, you are probably right.

But how do you explain people like me who are regulars at nanobreweries and ALSO have Miller Light in their fridge?

How about music. How do you explain people like me who listen to mainstream nonsense like Kelly Clarkson as well as Harry Nilsson and The Hollies?

Everyone likes what they like and there is no right answer.

By the way, if anyone is passing though Indy and wants to check out our BEST local brewery (IMO, of course), here you go: BIER Brewery - Come Tast Our Awesomeness! Don't listen to the people who tell you to hit up Sun King or Flat 12.

Miller Lite is the most frequent macro beer I see in the fridges of brewers, both micro and macro brewers...That is all anecdotal, though.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM

29,663 posts, read 24,689,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You are correct! I tell this to everyone, and I typically ask them this..."can or do you like to drink warm beer". Beer in general is not very tasty...I think people have just grown to prefer the taste. If they made beer without alcohol I'm sure only a few people would like it.

I prefer wine, or like you said crap vacations
On occasion, I have trouble sleeping at night. The perfect remedy is slamming a can of beer. For me, warm beer is easier to slam than cold, since the temperature bothers my teeth. So yes, I have no qualms about drinking warm beer, and I'm certainly not going to waste a good beer for a purpose like that!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,523,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Lager (yellow fizzy crap as you call it) definitely has its place (though of course there are varying levels of quality when it comes to lager). I very much enjoy a lager, especially on a hot day, and the lager I drink I can happily drink warm (though of course prefer it cold, not ice cold though). I've always also very much enjoyed real ale and stouts and porters although I can't drink any of them anymore because of the gluten (although I get some gluten free IPA when I go to the UK).
Most of the "yellow fizzy" stuff is adjunct lager, brewed with rice and corn, not "real" lager, brewed in the German/Czech tradition. Americans, especially when they first start to discover craft beers, automatically assume all lager is Budweiser and Miller/Coors.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,211,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Most of the "yellow fizzy" stuff is adjunct lager, brewed with rice and corn, not "real" lager, brewed in the German/Czech tradition. Americans, especially when they first start to discover craft beers, automatically assume all lager is Budweiser and Miller/Coors.
I don't drink American lagers (I have tried them though, they taste a bit weird and Bud for some reason tasted like bananas to me, although no one else agreed with me on that). I drink a lager from a Finnish brewery, brewed with barley (although its processed somehow to get rid of most of the gluten, which does affect the taste somewhat but its pretty close to a normal lager taste)

Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,951,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I don't drink American lagers (I have tried them though, they taste a bit weird and Bud for some reason tasted like bananas to me, although no one else agreed with me on that). I drink a lager from a Finnish brewery, brewed with barley (although its processed somehow to get rid of most of the gluten, which does affect the taste somewhat but its pretty close to a normal lager taste)
I recently had a lager from Lagunitas (can't recall the name). It was very good, but I couldn't see paying near $40 for a case of very good lager when I can pay under $30 for a case of Pilsner Urquell, which, while a slightly different style, serves the same purpose for me as top-notch "yellow fizz" when I want a lower ABV than my usual IPAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages