U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,847,764 times

Advertisements

I've been meaning to try it for a long time, but the more I look into it the more doubtful I become that if I order some from those currently producing it, or what they claim is it, that I'll actually get something close to the real thing. From what I've read and heard the original recipe is lost, and anyone claiming to have it is lying, but huge efforts have been made to back engineer it from surviving 19th century bottles.

At $85 a liter I really do want to get the real thing, or at least the closest thing to it I can get. Currently I'm considering Otto Legler Absinthe, which *sounds* good in the ad copy, but I don't really know. I thought perhaps someone on CD might have researched this and tried some of what's being offered as absinthe.

Here's the ad I'm talking about:

Absinthe Otto Legler, genuine absinthe reproduction

If anyone can point me to the closest thing to real absinthe I would greatly appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,489,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I've been meaning to try it for a long time, but the more I look into it the more doubtful I become that if I order some from those currently producing it, or what they claim is it, that I'll actually get something close to the real thing. From what I've read and heard the original recipe is lost, and anyone claiming to have it is lying, but huge efforts have been made to back engineer it from surviving 19th century bottles. ...
...If anyone can point me to the closest thing to real absinthe I would greatly appreciate it.
You've bought into the myth, and the marketing hype. There is no "lost recipe," nor has it ever stopped being produced according to the old methods. For example, in Spain, Portugal, and Czechoslovakia absinthe was never banned, and it is still produced there just as it was 200 years ago.

And truth be told, the supposed psychoactive properties of Absinthe have long been exaggerated, with its real potency and addictive nature primarily attributable its high alcoholic content... typically 100 - 150 proof. It was originally banned during the height of the Prohibition frenzy when a 1905 multiple murder in Switzerland was blamed on absinthe by that era's equivalent of Fox News. Newspapers across the globe picked up the hue and cry, and governments across the globe started banning the liquor, without any scientific evidence whatsoever that the ban was actually necessary.

Nevertheless, the ban was adopted in many places and lasted well past the wave of Prohibition came and went. In the 90s that ban began to crumble, although now the single chemical ingredient of wormwood called thujone is still prohibited or limited in many places. But like I said, you can still get the "real" absinthe in Europe. I've had it. No big deal.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:07 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,490,262 times
I agree, there is no lost recipe.

I also had the authentic absinthe--much ado about nothing. It is just a desire of those who think it somehow creates a lost time.

Pernod is use for the substitution of Absinthe. I still remember all the old French Chefs sitting around, in NYC, arrogantly, pompously, bragging in the style of the French--drinking that cloudy concoction. It turns cloudy with water, the same as absinthe.

I actually would prefer having Milk and Chocolate Chip cookies and create in my mind the lost time of my childhood.

Livecontent

Old 03-13-2014, 06:12 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,618,274 times
This is one persons view…

Absinthe USA - Legal Now, But Is It Real Absinthe?

This seems more logical and reasoned…

HowStuffWorks "Does absinthe really cause hallucinations?"

Didn't research and I don't live in the U.S. so I don't know if you can buy French or Czech Absinthe in the U.S. I'm assuming you must. If not, it is sold in Canada.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,847,764 times
I already know that absinthe does not cause hallucinations, and I'm quite familiar with all the myth and hype surrounding it, as well as how it came to be banned. It's quite a story, but had no bearing on reality. Since starting this thread I've found several very good brands, and no, I did not buy into the myth and the hype, I did my homework on it, but thanks for responding to the thread.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,260,293 times
I have a bottle I bought in Prague, the Czech Republic, over 15 years ago. It's the real stuff and has "thujone." I haven't opened it yet ... that's right ... it's been in my liquor cabinet and I still haven't opened it yet. Waiting for the right event I suppose. I understand it is declasse to drink it straight, it's better as a "Green Fairy" cocktail, or at least dripped over a sugar cube with distilled water.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:48 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,489,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I understand it is declasse to drink it straight, it's better as a "Green Fairy" cocktail, or at least dripped over a sugar cube with distilled water.
I don't know about the social implications of drinking absinthe straight, but it is very high proof and very bitter, so adding sugar and very cold water to the liquor makes it much easier to drink. Otherwise it is somewhat comparable to drinking Everclear that has been infused with Smith Brothers licorice cough drops.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM

8,192 posts, read 22,249,500 times
I've had absinthe in Prague and I am fairly certain it was not 150 proof. If I recall, there were three different proofs ranging from a low of 30-40 proof to a high of 100 proof. The stuff I had was on the lower end and perhaps it was due to some sort of "power of thought" but it was not like anything I have ever drank before. Not trippy, but also not just booze. Different none-the-less.

I also gave a "real" bottle of the middle-proofed stuff to a friend who shared with four other friends. It was a fairly small bottle but they were all acting real funny and described some bizarre stuff the next day. And these were seasoned hardcore drinkers.

So I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages