Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,659,398 times

Advertisements

im having a little group of ladies get together for my wife. I am supposed to get a couple of red and a couple of white wines for the ladies to drink. I never drink wine and my wife doesn't drink much so I just want a little help. basically, when someone says "a couple of red and a couple of white" what do they mean? I know there are different types of wine, does it matter which ones I pick as long as some are red and some are white? I see I have an old cabernet sauvignon here, is that good? I just want cheap wine that these chicks will be satisfied with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,883,597 times
I'm going to ignore your use of the word "chicks" as well as the rest of your demeaning way of writing and help you anyway. Cab is a little strong for some tastes, you might want to get merlot, syrah, pinot noir, or a blend instead. As far as whites, get a Chardonnay, a Pinot Grigio and a Sauvignon Blanc.
You're welcome.
Signed, a chick.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,619,912 times
Don't break open the old Cab. You do not seem to know much about wine so you will have no idea if it's over the hill.

I second the comment suggesting Merlot and Syrah over Cab. Syrah especially can be a great sipping wine. Merlot has more body to it but I feel it is best with food.

I also agree with the suggestion of whites. If they like sweet wine, you could go for Riesling as well. Cheap Sauv Blancs are pretty hit or miss but you don't seem to care about quality so that may not matter.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 AM

thanks. I wasn't able to use the recommendations this time but I will reference them for next time I need to buy wine.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:18 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,315,511 times
Eschew the domestics. Go French!

For reds, try some light fruity Beaujolais varietals like Fleurie, Julienas, or Morgon. Among moderately-priced Bordeaux wines, Medoc is always reliable. Pauillac is pricey, but sublime. For whites, try a St. Veran. If you have deeper pockets, pick up a white burgundy like Montrachet. It's like drinking a rainbow.

A votre santé!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Eschew the domestics. Go French!

For reds, try some light fruity Beaujolais varietals like Fleurie, Julienas, or Morgon. Among moderately-priced Bordeaux wines, Medoc is always reliable. Pauillac is pricey, but sublime. For whites, try a St. Veran. If you have deeper pockets, pick up a white burgundy like Montrachet. It's like drinking a rainbow.

A votre santé!
haha, I was trying to get away with spending as little as possible without putting out something that people will see as obviously cheap and crappy. your recommendations seem above my wine budget.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,315,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha, I was trying to get away with spending as little as possible without putting out something that people will see as obviously cheap and crappy. your recommendations seem above my wine budget.
I hear you -- I'm not wealthy either! I make recommendations based on how much vicarious pleasure I can get when folks who can afford the good stuff tell me "how delicious that wine was"...

A couple of thoughts, though:

1. You can pick up a nice bottle of Beaujolais-Villages for ten bucks or less.

2. Think how impressed the ladies (including your wife!) will be when you break out the stuff with these labels:

Old 06-18-2014, 05:07 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,147,431 times
Santa Margherita is the "in" wine with American women. It's the number #1 imported wine in restaurants - red or white. Of course, it is considered overrated by some . . . .

Santa Margherita Wines

Santa Margherita: Overview | Terlato Wines International

Old 06-18-2014, 05:24 PM

50,315 posts, read 63,868,866 times
I guess this is a bit late, but my lady friends and I are fans of Mark West Pinot Noir, and Menage a trois Red, white or Pinot Noir.
Nothing's worse than going to a party where non wine drinkers buy the wine, so thanks for trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages