U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,368,140 times

Advertisements

I have a problem that when im too full of drinking, my acid reflux kicks in. im not necessarily drunk, but full (beers usually)and when that one trigger drink hits me(usually a liquor unmixed), I gag and then I begin the process of throwing up.

that said..

Im trying to learn to drink bourbon/scotch and aquire its taste, but how should I go about it? i feel that even if they are my only drinks, itll trigger my gag reflexes and don't want that to happen. Warm liquor makes me gag so I was thinking on the rocks.

that also said, whats a good entry so I can learn/adapt my tastes to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 AM

1,637 posts, read 3,602,386 times
Maybe don't drink? Pace yourself, have your last drink 2-3 hours before you lay down, take a tums.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:40 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,692,559 times
Take a Zantac 150 with your first beer. It will kill the bubbles. Just avoid oysters or raw fish.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:06 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,958 times
I'd look into something other than acid reflux. I've had chronic reflux since the early 90s and what you're describing doesn't sound like a simple reflux issue. Without being judgmental, it simply sounds like you drink too fast for your body to adjust to the alcohol levels.

If it helps any, me and my friends used to pound beers in our youth and at one point we joked about switching to scotch because we all hated the taste and could not possibly drink it quickly. So when we were 6-8 beers into the night, feeling the bloat, we'd switch to scotch. It could take me an hour to choke down a glass, I disliked the taste so much.

Fast forward three decades and I'm a dedicated scotch drinker.

Also, I'd look into keeping some Gaviscon close by. It's the most effective instant relief I've found.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,866,938 times
Hmmm...have the doc check your blood sugar. Maybe the problem is trying to process too much carbohydrates. Had something similar happen. Over a year or two, I found I couldn't drink as many beers as in the past without wanting to throw them up (not being drunk...more full).

Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,782,718 times
I hate to be the voice of doom, BUT this happened to my husband, and we (eventually) found out he had Celiac Disease, which resulted in the largest hiatal hernia the x-ray guy had ever seen. The fullness was because he couldn't digest wheat. He was a walking fermentation vat.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:59 AM

22 posts, read 32,391 times
When you drink beer do you pour it into a glass or drink straight form the bottle/can? Pouring a beer into a glass from a bottle/can releases the carbonation and will help with the bloated/gassy feeling. Also by drinking out of a glass you get the aromas of the beer which will enhance the taste which is either a good or bad thing depending on what you are drinking. If you are already doing that or are just drinking beer on tap than you probably have other issues that the alcohol is magnifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages