Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yes, I already made my recommendations.

Wow. Somehow I've managed to get through decades of drinking beer without ever using beer salts. I think the OP can skip those.
The OP doesn't drink. It's about what his guests may like.

Last edited by CMichele; 05-05-2014 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Good recommendations so far. I bet most people drink beer and wine, or supply their own mixed drink stuff. Just have ice, coke, sprite, and maybe ginger ale. I always have limes and sugar at my party, but my parties tend to have a latin flair to them...caipirinhas. Not necessary to have those for your party, think basics.

For BYOB parties I go to, I bring beer and my wife normally doesn't drink. I would expect nothing fromt he host for drinks.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I feel like an old fart ... I love screwdrivers, especially frozen ones (but then I like most alcoholic drinks frozen!).

OP, others have made great suggestions. Hope you have fun at your housewarming!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
The OP doesn't drink. It's about what his guests may like.
Yes, I get that. I still don't think beer salts are necessary. I would venture that most people never use them.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:37 PM

237 posts, read 499,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
No, have they gone up recently? Last Summer a local store had them eight for a buck, I was putting them in everything.
Yes, at Kroger yesterday, limes were $1.19 per lime. That's per unit, not per pound.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Yes, at Kroger yesterday, limes were $1.19 per lime. That's per unit, not per pound.
I bought limes 4/$1 on Saturday. Within a few weeks they should be 10/$1. I have noticed that they are smaller than usual.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
If you want to be festive, you might mix up a couple of mocktails - virgin margaritas or bloody marys, something like that.

Otherwise, soft drinks, iced tea and ice water are plenty to provide as far as drinks.

As far as snacks -- sky's the limit. I like to have one or two hot snacks - nothing fancy, just maybe a heated dip - and one or two cold snacks, in addition to pretzels and potato chips. You can't go wrong with cheese and crackers and a veggie tray with dip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm a beer drinker, and I'm not even sure I know what beer salts are. So I guess I wouldn't expect them to be provided.
Never heard of such a thing myself, so I could safely assume that my friends haven't either and I wouldn't bother to purchase whatever they are.

Keep it simple ...

Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post

If you know the people well enough to be inviting them to your housewarming party, they should already be aware you don't drink, & wouldn't expect you to provide a full set-up bar.
I don't drink but I provide liquor as do other non drinkers I know. I do not attend BYOB or host them. Not much of a party when you have to bring your own stuff. 3 bottles, (whiskey, vodka, and scotch) some mix, a few bottles of wine, and a case of beer isn't that expensive. I believe in doing it right or not at all.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't drink but I provide liquor as do other non drinkers I know. I do not attend BYOB or host them. Not much of a party when you have to bring your own stuff. 3 bottles, (whiskey, vodka, and scotch) some mix, a few bottles of wine, and a case of beer isn't that expensive. I believe in doing it right or not at all.
I see a BYOB party not so much a "I am too cheap to buy it so bring it yourself if you want it," but more a "I am not making this party about alcohol, but you are welcome to bring it if you wish," kind of party.

As far as what to provide, some simple sandwiches and soda should be good enough, the few BYOB parties I've gone to I haven't seen too many people bring much other than beer or wine to it, so mixers weren't needed.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
It's a housewarming party, and I wrote "BYOB" on the invites. (I am a teetotaler, but have no objection to my guests bringing their own libations.)

What should I provide (snacks, soft drinks, etc.) for the guests? (I would think I should have orange juice so people can make screwdrivers, and Coke for rum-and-Coke, but other than that, I have no bartending knowledge.)
If it is a housewarming party for yourself, are you expecting housewarming gifts or have you stated you specifically do not want gifts?

If you haven't said "no gifts", your guests should be treated as well....guests, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages