U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
124 posts, read 150,444 times
Reputation: 159

Advertisements

It's a housewarming party, and I wrote "BYOB" on the invites. (I am a teetotaler, but have no objection to my guests bringing their own libations.)

What should I provide (snacks, soft drinks, etc.) for the guests? (I would think I should have orange juice so people can make screwdrivers, and Coke for rum-and-Coke, but other than that, I have no bartending knowledge.)

Last edited by conusmound; 05-05-2014 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Added closed parenthesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Illinois
3,168 posts, read 4,327,057 times
Reputation: 5595
Finger sandwiches, seltzer water, a veggie and fruit tray, a dip, some cheese and crackers, etc. Make sure that you have a corkscrew, plenty of ice, some lemon and lime wedges, and beer salts.

I would also make a mocktail. You may not be the only person who does not drink alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 AM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,830,046 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
It's a housewarming party, and I wrote "BYOB" on the invites. (I am a teetotaler, but have no objection to my guests bringing their own libations.)

What should I provide (snacks, soft drinks, etc.) for the guests? (I would think I should have orange juice so people can make screwdrivers, and Coke for rum-and-Coke, but other than that, I have no bartending knowledge.)
In terms of snacks, provide whatever your comfortable providing, but provide enough that people drinking alcohol have something in their stomachs. For drinks, you can probably skip the orange juice (I don't really know many people who drink screwdrivers) but as long as you have coke, diet coke, sprite, selzer and maybe ginger ale, you should be fine. Maybe iced tea for the non-drinkers who don't like sodas?

Typically if I'm BYOB-ing for a party and have a particular cocktail in mind, I either make sure I bring any specific mixers I need, or I ask the host "will you have XXX available?" But usually BYOB-ing is easier with beer or wine. No mixers or mixing needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 AM
 
Location: League City, Texas
2,900 posts, read 4,606,807 times
Reputation: 6073
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
In terms of snacks, provide whatever your comfortable providing, but provide enough that people drinking alcohol have something in their stomachs. For drinks, you can probably skip the orange juice (I don't really know many people who drink screwdrivers) but as long as you have coke, diet coke, sprite, selzer and maybe ginger ale, you should be fine. Maybe iced tea for the non-drinkers who don't like sodas?
.
^^this. People will generally bring their own mixers, but do supply cokes, etc. I wouldn't even bother with limes or other garnishes either. I haven't seen anyone drink a "screwdriver" in 30 years or so .

If you know the people well enough to be inviting them to your housewarming party, they should already be aware you don't drink, & wouldn't expect you to provide a full set-up bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
Reputation: 47257
have you seen the price of limes lately?? I wouldn't bother. I don't drink either but wherever I go I see folks bringing their own mixers and most don't expect the hostess of a BYOB to provide much more than soft drinks and ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,830,046 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Finger sandwiches, seltzer water, a veggie and fruit tray, a dip, some cheese and crackers, etc. Make sure that you have a corkscrew, plenty of ice, some lemon and lime wedges, and beer salts.
I'm a beer drinker, and I'm not even sure I know what beer salts are. So I guess I wouldn't expect them to be provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Illinois
3,168 posts, read 4,327,057 times
Reputation: 5595
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm a beer drinker, and I'm not even sure I know what beer salts are. So I guess I wouldn't expect them to be provided.
https://www.google.com/search?q=twan...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Do you have any recommendations to help OP accommodate his guests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Finland
6,321 posts, read 5,582,659 times
Reputation: 10162
Beer salts sound....odd.

OP - good things to provide would be ice, coke, sprite and fizzy water. Snacks like crisps and dip, nuts, cheeses if you expect people might bring wine, just easy finger foods really that stop people drinking on an empty stomach. Cool boxes or buckets filled with ice in for people to store beers in so they don't get warm (unless you have room in your fridge of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 12:46 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,830,046 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Do you have any recommendations to help OP accommodate his guests?
Yes, I already made my recommendations.

Wow. Somehow I've managed to get through decades of drinking beer without ever using beer salts. I think the OP can skip those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,171 posts, read 16,637,700 times
Reputation: 12321
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
have you seen the price of limes lately??
No, have they gone up recently? Last Summer a local store had them eight for a buck, I was putting them in everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top