Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,234,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I'm pretty sure I read that at the beginning of the year Miller started labeling nutrition in their 64 beer, before this lady started asking around.

And by the way, I know for sure some euro beers use "fish bladder" (isinglass) as a clarifying agent, that has been around for a looong time.
Yeah, here is an article on it, I don't really understand what teh big deal is.

Guinness Beer Contains Fish Bladder - Isinglass Found in Guinness Ale - Delish.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,336,312 times
[rant] I get so sick of seeing these stupid posts. News, schmooze, the contest is over! Stop it! [/rant]

Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 AM

701 posts, read 1,094,599 times
I don't understand why she and her husband don't just pick better beer? Craft brewers don't put nasty crap in their beers. Better yet, you can make your own and know exactly what goes into it.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,180,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post

And by the way, I know for sure some euro beers use "fish bladder" (isinglass) as a clarifying agent, that has been around for a looong time.
It has been and it is filtered out before bottling. It is even used by some home brewers.

If you were to use a red dye to make a cake, then removed the red dye for what-ever reason prior to packaging that cake, you would not have to list it as an ingredient as it would be a part of the process and not a part of the finished product.

Out of the beers that use the "crazy" stuff most of it is used in the process of production and likely will not be included on any labeling.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,028,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
[rant] I get so sick of seeing these stupid posts. News, schmooze, the contest is over! Stop it! [/rant]
Totally. It's not news...just linkbait.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,234,217 times
I read a good article in Forbes about the Food Babe (Vani Hari), here's a quote:

As Gorski notes, “companies live and die by public perception. It’s far easier to give a blackmailer like Hari what she wants than to try to resist or to counter her propaganda by educating the public. And, make no mistake, blackmail is exactly what Vani Hari is about.”

Quackmail: Why You Shouldn't Fall For The Internet's Newest Fool, The Food Babe. - Forbes

Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 AM

194 posts, read 250,964 times
Isinglass has been used for decades Isinglass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia they should be using seaweed finings

Old 08-24-2014, 01:19 AM

194 posts, read 250,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It has been and it is filtered out before bottling. It is even used by some home brewers.

If you were to use a red dye to make a cake, then removed the red dye for what-ever reason prior to packaging that cake, you would not have to list it as an ingredient as it would be a part of the process and not a part of the finished product.

Out of the beers that use the "crazy" stuff most of it is used in the process of production and likely will not be included on any labeling.
Its impossible to remove all of the isinglass, so no good if your a veggie or vegan. That said I'm not sure how would want this in a pint???

Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,754,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Food blogger Vani Hari's husband's favorite drink is beer and, just in time for his birthday this week, she is launching an online petition to ask the two biggest producers of American beer to list all their ingredients and brewing methods.

Hari claims some beers contain additives like high-fructose corn syrup, stabilizers and artificial flavoring, which have been linked to obesity, allergies, hyperactivity and gastrointestinal problems. She also alleges that big brewers use unappetizing things like propylene glycol – a foaming ingredient found in airplane deicing liquid – and even use fish swim bladders during brewing for clarity.

Food Babe Petitions Beer Makers to Disclose Additives - ABC News
Well, I just had a beer. Guess what? The main ingredient, by volume and mass, was an anti-freeze ingredient: water.

That's right - there's an anti-freeze ingredient coming right out of your tap. Don't drink that stuff! It must be toxic if it's anti-freeze ingredient, right?

Actually, no. There are many substances which are toxic, yet contain various ingredients which in and of themselves are benign.

The dramatic "Beer contains anti-freeze ingredients!" claims is just drama meant to push copy/bandwidth. Now, in general it is possible that a specific anti-freeze ingredient found in beer is not good for you. But this headline is ignoring that nuance and instead going for the money-generating alarmism.

Aircraft de-icing liquid? Yep. That contains water, too. Unless you get into the specifics of the issue with propylene glycol, this is just nonsense meant to push uninformed buttons, and nothing more.

Just be honest and address the specifics, and forego the ridiculous scare tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages