Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 01:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

A girlfriend told me that red wine has less sugar than white wine.

Does anyone have any information on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

I would think it would depend more on the indivdual wine than just if it's red or white There are very sweet, high fructose, reds and drier whites.

Compare two specific vintages...not such a broad category as red or white.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

I would not generalize that given port wine, however red wines are typically a little lower in acid which can tend to lower the tendency to balance acidity with sugar. There is somewhat of a cultural trend that seems to me also that there are more sweet whites. However there are many dry whites.

So basically no, there is no general rule that would be reliable enough to say that.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:47 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Yeah, different types of wine are so different that you can't just compare red vs. white.

The process of wine making at it's most basic level is just yeast eating the sugar in grapes and converting it to alcohol. Eventually there's so much alcohol (or not enough sugar) that the yeast can't keep going. Different yeast strains can tolerate different levels of alcohol, and that is the main factor in how much sugar is left in a type of wine. In some styles of wine the yeast is intentionally stopped to keep it sweet, but that is done in varieties of both red and white wines (i.e. port and muscato). It has nothing to do with a wine being red or white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages