U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 06:28 PM

37,770 posts, read 55,496,757 times

Advertisements

If you are nice and polite, you rarely will experience people being rude to you.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 02:34 AM

166 posts, read 255,841 times
Bar etiquette....Plain and simple.

A good bartender dosent have time to put up with crap.

When you have the bartenders attention...know what you want!!
Start a tab.....Always.
Blend in with the crowd.
Be courteous.
Drink top shelf. If you cant afford it...stay home.
If the bartender is SWAMPED...order 2 and three ingredient drinks.
Keep in mind...There are thousands of drinks. If its buzy, stay with the classic's. Start the night with a good top shelf...neat. With a waterback...or an Old fashion.....the bartender will appreciate your taste and service will show.
Be patient.
Tip at least 20%....or stay home.

AND PLEASE....DONT LET THE FIRST THING YOU SAY ........How much is Bud Light draft.

If I had a loud or Obnoxious person or group.....you would be the last served.

Keep in mind...ladies get served first...ALWAYS!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:02 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,120,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjames14 View Post

Start a tab.....Always.
Blend in with the crowd.
Be courteous.
Keep in mind...There are thousands of drinks. If its buzy, stay with the classic's. Start the night with a good top shelf...neat. With a waterback...or an Old fashion.....the bartender will appreciate your taste and service will show.
Be patient.

AND PLEASE....DONT LET THE FIRST THING YOU SAY ........How much is Bud Light draft.

Some real crap tossed in with good advice....you do not have to drink top shelf even if you can afford it.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,613,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you are nice and polite, you rarely will experience people being rude to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Some real crap tossed in with good advice....you do not have to drink top shelf even if you can afford it.
Indeed.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 AM

166 posts, read 255,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Your right. It was late and I was gettin cranky....

Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,178,349 times
Some of the suggestions made by the various posters are excellent. Knowing what you want, speaking clearly, tipping are all good ideas.

However, you do not need to order top shelf if you do not want to.

Also, if you do get bad service or encounter attitude from a bartender, you can speak with a Manager or simply leave and not go back. Plus, since this is the internet age, you can go to various ratings sites and post reviews on the bar, noting the bad service.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 AM

151 posts, read 112,987 times
You want to see REAL rude bartenders? Just come on out to Arizona, we got them! They are very self-centered jerks here, that's for sure....LOL! I know a couple of them, in the town I live in, who will cut you off after only 2 drinks if you came in by yourself & start talking to someone you don't know!!! HOW CRAZY IS THAT?!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:11 AM

47 posts, read 77,762 times
If it's happening everywhere then I don't think it's the bartenders but the customers.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:58 PM

95 posts, read 102,090 times
Here is my two cents on the matter...
If you have found a bar that seems cool, and your initial service was less than stellar. Try going on an off night when it is not crazy busy. Kindly get to know the bartenders, and tip well. So when you do come in on the weekend, they remember you and take care of you.

I have been a bartender in those "popular" type bars that a crazy busy, loud music with a band rocking the house. Anyone who walked up to my bar-top and acted like they owned the place, were entitled in any way, or were not polite... were the last to get service. Furthermore, legal I can serve someone who I think is legally drunk. Which means IF I think you are legally drunk, it is easier to "ignore" you, than tell you I can't serve you. Which in most cases the person wants to know "what did I ever do to you"... So... they are ignored.

Oh, and if I am busy and I haven't gotten to serve you yet... for the 5 min that you have been waiting, but I am slammed. Then you start complaining about the service.. forget it! You will literally be last, if at all.

In the bar, the bartenders are the gods. **** them off and they will RUIN your night. But, if there is a door guy, guess what.. if you are a jack hole in line waiting to get in, or give attitude when getting your ID checked. You can be sure that the door guy let the bartender know. Whether it was with a head nod, radio or text..

Bartenders are a close group of people, even if you work at rivalry bars. We all share one thing in common, or living is made off tips, people think they can treat us like crap... and if we have a customer trying to pass off a fake ID, or in anyway was a completely jerk of a person... you can rest assure... we snapped your photo when you were not looking, or remembered you name from your ID and checked your Facebook... and then... sent it around to all our other bartender buddies to make sure you are not getting served.

The first bar I managed was in a smaller town. In a two block radius there was like 5 bars. If someone was cut off at one bar, we would all call each other and let the other bars know. Not to be jerks, but to keep each others licenses safe. But the same would go for a really rude customer.

So.... if this is a reoccurring theme for you... then you really need to consider your behavior. There is obviously something that is making people not want to serve you, and your friends. Maybe it isn't you, maybe it is one of your friends.. who knows. But once is a fluke.. more than once... you really need to consider yourself in the matter.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:23 AM

95 posts, read 102,090 times
I have been a bartender, a bar manager, gm, consultant for bars, and venue producer... and only part of this is truly relevant.

Yes... it is important to know what you want, when you get there. IF you don't, just say bartenders choice.. but be willing to pay. But the truth is... bartenders choice is going to be whatever is closest and fastest to make.. aka well drinks.

Yes, there are perks to starting a tab... is they run a POS touch screen system. IF they do not, then you will get filed into some folder or other unorganized system.. which will actually take longer than having them take your cash. I will note below in tipping... WHY we don't like tabs a lot of the time.

Ehhhh... Blend in with the crowd... not really. If you are someone most people love, be yourself. Sometimes crazy fun people are crazy fun to watch. Its the matter of being fun and wild, and wild and annoying.. to the point they think they need to cut you off. Blending in, means you will likely be overlooked.

Yes, absolutely be courteous! Please, thank you, or "whatever is easiest for you".... followed with a nice tip.

Drink top shelf... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Ummm perhaps yes if you are in a very high end bar where that is expected by everyone.. and you want to either "blend" in with the sheep... or pretend you are something you are not. Otherwise.. drink whatever the heck it is you want. Trust me.. bartenders see posers and we all know that top shelf is a rip off.. so we are going to think you are an idiot who "thinks" top shelf means you are smart, rich, or otherwise have a keen sense to taste. I assure you... when a 20 something orders top shelf drink, I assume I wont be tipped.. because they can't afford it after their ONE top self drink.

2 and 3 ingredient drinks... IF the bar is swamped... order a bottled beer, a well drink or single mixer drink with a call liquor. Rum and coke, jack and coke, vodka cran, screwdriver, greyhound... ANYTHING that requires a shaker, or more than one liquor and one mixer.. WILL be annoying to the bartender. However a good bartender can fill several orders at the same time. The easier you make it on them, the faster they will get you your drink. Anything that is outside or ordinary and standard will likely be pushed to the back of the list of drinks that said bartender is processing and making. Oh lordy and do not ask for a drink made in a blender!

I do agree about staying with classics. But I don't know a single bartender that appreciates someone ordering a Manhattan, or a Gin Rickey or Mint Julep. When a bartender in an average type bar hears classic, this goes back to the paragraph above.. simple drinks. Again, top shelf does not gain any kudos to anyone... other than I might have to climb a ladder to get you your damn bottle of bs. The ONLY way a bartender is going to truly appreciate you.. is with the tip. Again, this will be addressed below.

Yes, I agree.. being patient is key.

20% tipping is great. For a a drink that is roughly $6 and under (beer or not) $1 is acceptable, anything more.. you are on my good side. Drinks between $7-$10 or require the use of a shaker, or something along the lines of a long island ice tea, AMF, black opal.. so on... $2-$3. This mostly follows along with 20%. However, most bartenders will be happy with $1 per drink purchased. If you have ordered more than one, then $1 for each of those drinks. I tip heavy.. but I have been a bartender.. I get it. If I want a free drink, or a drink someone decided they didnt want.. aka free drink.. guess what that good tipper will be reaping the benefits of that. I have had great loyal customers who always tipped me well. Nothing insane, but tipped me well and consistent. Guess what... they ALWAYS got the perks of extra drinks, or a mishap in the kitchen.. free food. It may not ultimately pay for the amounts they had tipped me in the long run.. but that is what you do for your good customers. You show them appreciation when you can.

Now, if you can't afford a tip, but you can afford a $5 beer. Save your $5.. walk to the mini mart and pick up 2 40z of crap beer and go home. There isn't a single bartender out there that doesn't want or expect a tip. It wont earn you any points, special service, free drinks, and speedy service in the future.

I never served ladies first for the sake of them being ladies (lets be honest not all of them were ladies.. they were just women). I served whom ever was first. Unless you are a regular who tips me well.. then I will be making your drink the second you walk in the door, no matter how many other drinks i am making.

The key: Patience, Kind, Appreciative, Tip Well, Say Thank You, DONT be a horses ass, Have Fun! Oh and seriously.. don't order top shelf.. serious.. we will think you are an idiot.

TimothyJames.... unless you are talking about top shelf bars... you are pretty delusional. I have worked in various types of bars/clubs up and down the west coast. I have bartender friends all over this world... not a single one of them is going to think any differently of someone when they order top shelf. They will think poser, wannabe, pretentious ass... but it isn't going to be anything positive. Sorry bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjames14 View Post

Start a tab.....Always.
Blend in with the crowd.
Be courteous.
Be patient.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or