U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 02:57 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,341,729 times

Advertisements

When you are at a bar, do you order "call drinks" (cocktails made with a brand of liquor you specify, i.e., "Jack and Coke")? I don't know about you, but I can't tell tell the difference in flavor between one whiskey, rum, or vodka and other (except for Scotch). And any differences you can detect when drinking the liquor straight will be covered up by the flavors of the other ingredients in the cocktail. It's not worth the money to me!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,585,988 times
Bottom shelf gin and vodka make me ill. I want a Tanqueray and tonic.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:59 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,310,140 times
Absolutely I do.

Unless its a long island.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:00 PM

4,030 posts, read 4,829,065 times
I don't often order cocktails (typically wine or beer), but when I do, I like a good quality Manhattan made with Bulleit or Knob Creek or Maker's Mark. It's a drink where the flavor of the bourbon makes or breaks the cocktail.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:02 PM

36,463 posts, read 41,651,387 times
I don't drink a lot of mixed drinks, but of the few I do, the liquor needn't be top shelf as long as it has good flavor.

Of the top shelf liquor I drink, I don't drink it with mixers, in general.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:20 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,110,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
When you are at a bar, do you order "call drinks" (cocktails made with a brand of liquor you specify, i.e., "Jack and Coke")? I don't know about you, but I can't tell tell the difference in flavor between one whiskey, rum, or vodka and other (except for Scotch). And any differences you can detect when drinking the liquor straight will be covered up by the flavors of the other ingredients in the cocktail. It's not worth the money to me!
There is no one answer to this.

If I know a bar has a decent rail...I will drink rail vodka and whiskey in mixed items. There is one bar I will even drink their rail in an Old Fashioned (but I don't at most other places) because I do like the taste of it (It happens to be Seagram 7 - which in many other places is a call anyway).

Some rails are so bad that yeah, their taste can show thru even with the strongest of mixers. Others are just so cheap that they give you a headache after just a few sips.

I would never drink rail if I was having something 'on the rocks' or straight up.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:07 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,163,118 times
It really depends on the drink. For drinks with a strong liqueur in them (like Campari, St. Germain, or Fernet) I don't think the base liquor needs to be top shelf (although it shouldn't be rot gut either). The strong liqueur will overpower any of the subtleties of a top shelf liquor. The opposite is true for something like a Gin and Tonic, and I'll be specific about the Gin I want in some drinks.

I actually prefer cheaper liquors for some drinks, especially ones that were popular in the 20's. One example is Boulevardiers, which I drink pretty frequently. While I love Templeton Rye, I feel that a Boulevardier made with Templeton lacks some of the bite that one made with Rittenhouse or Old Overholt will have. That bite is an important part of the taste to me, so I always go with the cheaper rye and save the Templeton for drinking by itself. I'll ask for the cheaper liquor at a bar for some of those drinks.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:55 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,679,377 times
I'll accept rail rum for a rum & coke. But that's about it. Then again, I don't do cocktails often.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,559,081 times
I don't really drink cocktails much any more and if I do its one that they'll have advertised which they'll use specific spirits or liqueurs for so I'm not going to tell them to use something different. I rarely see any of my favourites in the bars here anyway.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:23 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,465,122 times
Depends on the drink. Classic cocktails like (real) martinis, manhattans, Sazeracs, whiskey sours etc. are improved by call liquors. Overly sweet, sugary drinks like the aforementioned "Jack and Coke" (sorry, I gagged a little just then) are a waste of money. All that sugar kills the subtleties of flavors. I know lots of bartenders who keep their pour costs down by using well liquors in sweet call drinks. Somebody orders Jack and Coke, they're getting Beam and Coke unless they're sitting at the bar and nobody is ever the wiser. Order a strawberrry daquiri and you may not get any rum at all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages