U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 AM

9,841 posts, read 5,500,958 times

Advertisements

That is, it will relax you but you will feel worse later than if you had some of the good stuff?

I bought some Fubar and Goofy Foot on the belief that they would satisfy as a week day table wine. But given the theory above, I'm wondering if I should make Frontera and Lindeman my weekday table wine.

Around here, the Fubar and Goofy are currently around $3.33/750 ml while the later two are around $4.50ish.

So, is cheap wine worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 AM

686 posts, read 1,140,399 times
Nope...

Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Nope...
Are you saying "Nope" to the thread title or whether or not it is worth it?

Inquiring minds want to know.................!

Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,444,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Around here, the Fubar and Goofy are currently around $3.33/750 ml while the later two are around $4.50ish.
All of those are cheap wines, the $1.25 or so difference between them is meaningless.

Given you like to stockpile, I'd try and find something in the $10/bottle range and ask for a volume discount (a case or more) which should bring the price down 10% or more. Even Trader Joe's giives 10% I think on any case buy, even mixed.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
All of those are cheap wines, the $1.25 or so difference between them is meaningless.

Given you like to stockpile, I'd try and find something in the $10/bottle range and ask for a volume discount (a case or more) which should bring the price down 10% or more. Even Trader Joe's giives 10% I think on any case buy, even mixed.
Around here, one doesn't need to look for that. HEB will do that on 6 bottles of anything.Buy 6, get 10% off.

But the less money one spends, the more money one has to spend elsewhere. A bottle in the $10 range is a Bogle or a Red Diamond, very smooth stuff indeed..........and rather too rich, in my taste, to have as a week day table wine. Because if in anything else, if that's the week day wine (where it is one bottle over 3-4 days) .......what is one using for special days?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,653,799 times
Yes, cheap beer, wine and whiskey give me headaches. They also taste like garbage.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,150,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Around here, one doesn't need to look for that. HEB will do that on 6 bottles of anything.Buy 6, get 10% off.

But the less money one spends, the more money one has to spend elsewhere. A bottle in the $10 range is a Bogle or a Red Diamond, very smooth stuff indeed..........and rather too rich, in my taste, to have as a week day table wine. Because if in anything else, if that's the week day wine (where it is one bottle over 3-4 days) .......what is one using for special days?
Are you drinking because you enjoy the taste or just to get drunk cheaply? Because the later is not a healthy was to approach alcohol.

Honestly you come across as so cheap that you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you thoughthink it would save half a penny. If all you are looking for is a cheap buzz.....drink grain alcohol and Kool aide.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:59 PM

One must understand first that the consumption of a daily glass of wine is part of my upbringing.

Once upon a time, I found Carmen wine. It was wonderful, I fell in love with it, introduced it to my Mother. But eventually, it disappeared from where I bought, and I had to look for other things.

About last year, I found a stock of it at World Market and it was a lost love found again. Sure, it was $15/bottle, but the love affair was remembered and I bought of many of them as I could. Opened up a bottle and.....it was mediocre to my palate.

I suppose back then I didn't know of the different tastes, that the only thing to compare Carmen to was Gallo jugs and Ste Genevieve. But over the years since our separation, I had tasted others, had other love affairs, and knew more of that world.

Cheap does not necessarily mean bad on the taste. Ste Genevieve is a $3.33 bottle (when I can get it in 750 ml; most have gone to 1.5 l and that doesn't fit in my wine rack) and is decent on the palate. Fubar is similar in cost, not so pleasant on the taste, even for my bitter taste buds, but it is the kind of wine where one glass is sufficient to relax with, but two glasses can be too brutal in the same day. Goofy Foot for an Aussie wine, well, I might as well be buying box...........and I don't. By the way, Wally World Oak Leaf I don't buy; it's not stomachable. Cul de Sac I tend to avoid as well though it is more like buying water.

But someone once told me that the difference between scotches, such as Cluny and Johnny Walker (right? I haven't bought scotch (or anything else save for the isolated bottle of tequila) in about a year) is not necessarily the taste or how much it takes to make you drunk but rather what the hangover is later. Cheap gives a bad hangover, expensive doesn't.

So does it apply to wine as well? I ask because I find that even one glass affects my dance coordination 8-10 hours later so I'm wondering if it is the grade, ie cost, that I'm drinking?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 PM

1,309 posts, read 904,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Yes, cheap beer, wine and whiskey give me headaches. They also taste like garbage.
That's not true, you're just drinking more of something because of its low price. It doesn't make any difference hangover-wise as the capilllaries in your head don't understand the concept of price.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,188,416 times
If you were to set out to create the worst hangover you possibly could, an evening of cheap red wine and whiskey would be the way to go.

Both contain high levels of congeners, which are byproducts of the fermentation process that increase your hangover (they include fusel alcohols, which are a well known issue to experienced homebrewers). They do have an effect on taste (sometimes a positive one), but there is no way to discern the ones that create hangovers by taste.

There are a number of factors that create them, with some of the primary ones being a fast fermentation, and poor quality ingredients. Unfortunately both of those factors are pretty common in cheap booze of any sort, so if you're drinking the two alcoholic drinks that are most likely to have this problem, and then going with the cheapest ones you can find - you're basically setting yourself up to have some epic hangovers. Your best bet would be to change your choice of drink, or buy higher quality products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or