Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times

Advertisements

Like rum, for instance.

It's like candy! One can pop shot after shot of it, lulled by that sweet taste...........and wake up hours later as if coming out of a coma, remembering slightly of that sudden crash.

Now, in all fairness, my last pass with rum was ........................... election night 2012.

Or cocoa with coffee. That sweet chocolate taste making you want more, more, more..............to the point that you don't feel the caffeine until hours later when you can't sleep.

Now, in all fairness, it is a lower calorie dessert than some confection with a zillion calories per spoon full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,858,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Like rum, for instance.

It's like candy!

Or cocoa with coffee.
Rum is the nastiest tasting form of alcohol I've ever had. Someone gave me a bottle of 151, some "good" brand, for my HS graduation, so I've drunk as much of it as I could stand. Ever since, I don't know how anyone can even put it to their lips. Sweet? Not a chance. And cocoa in coffee = bitter + bitter.

If these things taste sweet to you, I wonder if there's something off with your tastebuds.

Last edited by jay5835; 10-20-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,212,853 times
Chocolate is the best complement to coffee.

As far as sweet alcohol, Kahlua was something I used to enjoy. I think I put whipped cream in it too.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:41 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Rum is the nastiest tasting form of alcohol I've ever had. Someone gave me a bottle of 151, some "good" brand, for my HS graduation, so I've drunk as much of it as I could stand. Ever since, I don't know how anyone can even put it to their lips. Sweet? Not a chance. And cocoa in coffee = bitter + bitter.

If these things taste sweet to you, I wonder if there's something off with your tastebuds.
Not all rum is the same...a bottle of Bacardi 151 is not the thing to judge all rum by. That's like saying you have had Thunderbird so all wine is terrible.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Like rum, for instance.

It's like candy! One can pop shot after shot of it, lulled by that sweet taste...........and wake up hours later as if coming out of a coma, remembering slightly of that sudden crash.

Now, in all fairness, my last pass with rum was ........................... election night 2012.

Or cocoa with coffee. That sweet chocolate taste making you want more, more, more..............to the point that you don't feel the caffeine until hours later when you can't sleep.

Now, in all fairness, it is a lower calorie dessert than some confection with a zillion calories per spoon full.
Were you crying or celebrating when you had your last rum?

all in all I have never been a rum drinker. I do have some flavored rum we got at a small run shop in St Maarten last year. It is great for an after dinner drink once in a while. Almost like a brandy. Other than that I will just leave it alone and stick other calorie drinks thank you. I am not a sweet eater anyway and sweet liquor is the worst in the world for giving one a hangover. To me rum is great as a flavoring addition to some dishes, nothing else.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 PM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
.......And cocoa in coffee = bitter + bitter.

Perhaps there is. Not necessarily that things taste sweet to me but that my palate does prefer bitter things. I don't like sweet wine (which is a pity; do you know how inexpensive Sangria can be?) and when I'm at a Happy Hour where I can't drink (essentially, I do not drink outside the home), I'll order straight tonic water.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
Quote:
Perhaps there is. Not necessarily that things taste sweet to me but that my palate does prefer bitter things. I don't like sweet wine (which is a pity; do you know how inexpensive Sangria can be?) and when I'm at a Happy Hour where I can't drink (essentially, I do not drink outside the home), I'll order straight tonic water.
Tonic water has a lot of sugar, unless it's diet and then it has sweeteners. Seltzer water is just plain carbonated water.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,341,234 times
While I enjoy a sweet drink such as a White Russian now and again, or a whiskey ginger/coke/seven, it makes me feel so much worse later on, both from a headache and a stomach perspective. A little Schnapps while ice fishing was always nice, too.

I've past the point in life where I buy liquor so vile I have to dump tons of mixer in it to make it palatable. If Ice alone (or a little bit of pop) don't make it palatable, I'm not interested anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages