Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Regarding cooking with beer. A really good way to make bratwurst is to poke hole in the brats with a fork. Then buy some cheap beer and boil you bratwursts in the beer for about 5 minutes. After that you either broil or bbq them. Very tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
A few years ago, a lot of new beers became available in Mississippi thanks to a law that allowed the sale of higher-alcohol brews. Not all of them are high-alcohol, but I have tried some and don 't like them. Most of them are too hoppy and malty for my taste. Just this weekend I bought two six-packs of New Belgium Snapshot Wheat Beer (it was on sale for half price, as I suppose there was an oversupply at the wholesaler). I took one sip and didn't like it. It was sour! Somehow I managed to drink two bottles and threw the rest away. It was only six bucks, though.
I grew up on the idea that beer was something you drank as a thirst quencher during our hot summers and at parties. The only kinds of "good beer" I care for are the ones with some sweetness to them. YMMV.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Fear not MOS. High quality brew is not for everyone. It takes acquired taste buds to separate the good from the bad.

By the way, hoppy beers are bitter. Malty brews are sweeter. Some use a combination to even things out. In the end, some people just prefer p*ss water, and that's perfectly okay. No one should judge. I sit in drinking establishments all the time and talk to people next to me who are drinking inferior beers. LOL!

Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Regarding cooking with beer. A really good way to make bratwurst is to poke hole in the brats with a fork. Then buy some cheap beer and boil you bratwursts in the beer for about 5 minutes. After that you either broil or bbq them. Very tasty.
Cheap beer is great for beer brats, and also for Polish sausage, cooked in a crock pot with sauerkraut, onion, mustard, and brown sugar.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:41 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Yes, that is what I did although I also included garlic in with the beer

Works great for hot dogs, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
A few years ago, a lot of new beers became available in Mississippi thanks to a law that allowed the sale of higher-alcohol brews. Not all of them are high-alcohol, but I have tried some and don 't like them. Most of them are too hoppy and malty for my taste. Just this weekend I bought two six-packs of New Belgium Snapshot Wheat Beer (it was on sale for half price, as I suppose there was an oversupply at the wholesaler). I took one sip and didn't like it. It was sour! Somehow I managed to drink two bottles and threw the rest away. It was only six bucks, though.
I grew up on the idea that beer was something you drank as a thirst quencher during our hot summers and at parties. The only kinds of "good beer" I care for are the ones with some sweetness to them. YMMV.
Ah, so you had a typical west coast style hop bomb.

Wheat beers, if done properly, should have a sour taste to them. I am not a fan of most Belgian sours but it is that sour taste that draws me to wheat beers (or hefe's, if you like).

Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Why cook with bud light? Are you looking to just add carbonation or flavor? That style just doesn't hold up to heat...use a stock or other beverage.
I have experiemented with various beers ranging from hop bombs to nut browns to stouts. I find that typical run-of-the-mill "beer" works best.

I only used Bud Lite because a family member gave me a case of Bud Lite and a mostly full case of Yuengling when her and her husband gave up beer for Lent. The Yuengling barely lasted a week. The Bud Lite has kind of been hanging around.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,143 times
Quote:
Try some of the mainstream amber ales - Bud and Michelob both make them IIRC, or Shiner Bock or Shiner Black Lager. These are all pretty mild darker beers that will ease you into the varieties available. Stay away from IPA's and any of the wheat beers if you don't care for sharp flavor.

I'd like to say that the worst beer I ever had was delicious (a la Robert Parker ), but I've had a couple absolutely undrinkable beers - flavored with green chile, or berries, or who knows what. Beers designed to appeal to the demographic that preferred wine coolers over either wine or beer.

As far as real beer goes, I've never met one I didn't like!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,143 times
Quote:
I do that with stout, but cook the brats longer to get them cooked through - granddad was an MD in New York city and had seen cases of trichinosis as late as the 1960's, so fully cooking pork is a family habit. With modern swine feeds, I doubt it's much of a problem anymore, it was small farm pigs that would get it from eating anything they could find from what I understand.

I may try the cheap beer method next time though, variety is always a good idea... never met a brat I didn't like either

Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I have tried some of the more expensive beers that have been legalized in this state over the last few years and they are too bitter for me. I like what I grew up drinking (American adjunct lagers). Sorry, beer snobs!
Don't worry, I am sure you are not alone: spoiled brat only likes beers like, Bud, Bud Lime, and Miller. He does drink Dos Equis but that is the heights of his imported beers. On the other hand our grandson in law will only drink the imported, pricey ones, but I think as you said, It is snob effect.

TRibcavsbrowns: lighter up a little: I think the term Beer snob is just an expression: the say as food snob or whatever, it isn't meant to be an insult. But you comment about Mississippi is a direct slam.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
A few years ago, some Mississippi distributor ordered 1,000 cases of J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown Beer instead of 100 cases. In the end, a six pack was going for about $2.13, including tax. I liked that beer - no bitterness and a little sweet. I don't see it around here anymore. Another problem for me is economics. A fixed income keeps me from sampling beers that may go for close to ten dollars a six pack. Some beers sold here go for over sixteen dollars a bottle! (some Belgians, for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages