U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,519,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
LOL. Yes, admittedly, I have a beer belly. I am a big guy. I'm very tall and "stocky." I don't think you would look at me and gasp because I'm being pushed through doors with a crow bar or anything like that. I have the same shape as a lot of suburban dads. Obviously overweight, but not shockingly so. It helps that I am very tall. Look, I drink and I'll admit it. It's important to remember that alcohol affects everyone differently. I've had two bottles of wine before typing this post, and I haven't had to correct one mistake. Many people would be passed out after two bottles of wine. I don't think the 2=4 rule always applies. I had to do some quick math in my head to come up with 125, but I think it is probably fair. Of course, when the weather is warm and we are out in the RV, I drink more rum.
I have more of what you might a call a potato chip belly. Two bottles of wine seems like a lot to me (LOL) but I'm not that big so it's relative. I once read that Andre the Giant would drink to bottle of RUM just to feel a buzz. I certainly like my wine and liquors... But even when I was pretty much of a beer guzzler alcoholism never seemed like a problem to me because I've always had this think in my head that goes... sips (yes more please), buzz (a little more please), intoxicated (ok I'm good) and then I just crave water and food. For alcoholics I think it's the other way around, not that I'd know.

Besides, the way I look at it, if you're not be driving, beating up on people, or totally embarrassing yourself by the end of the night, and if you can function happily at work (or wherever) the next day, what difference does it make where your boundary between moderation and drunk is?

Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,112,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
That doesn't sound at all like the friend....

Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 AM

8,856 posts, read 7,648,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have a friend who drinks 16-20 beers a month, he will drink 2 beers each day on the weekend for all 4 weeks. Is that a borderline addiction to alcohol? If you think about it that's almost a six pack every weekend. I think that's excessive but what is the opinion?
That is not even close to excessive. I would consider that light to almost no drinking.

I have two scotches a night (total of 6oz) before dinner every night and I need/want them. By your definition I must really be an alcoholic.

You need to lighten up when it comes to alcohol consumption.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,688,108 times
Quote:
I have a friend who drinks 16-20 beers a month, he will drink 2 beers each day on the weekend for all 4 weeks. Is that a borderline addiction to alcohol? If you think about it that's almost a six pack every weekend. I think that's excessive but what is the opinion?
No; not according to medical recommendations; two drinks a day of normal content are not a problem.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:04 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,112,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No; not according to medical recommendations; two drinks a day of normal content are not a problem.
I think this guy would have a problem with two drinks a year.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:05 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,931,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Seriously? This sounds like a typical weekend for any craft beer lover living in the PNW.
Or Colorado, I can vouch for it. Love checking out brew pubs on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
A couple drinks a day is scientifically proven to increase heart health, kidney health, bone health, and help ward off infections.

I drink 3-4, 2-3 days a week. That would be 12 a week on the high side, 48 a month on the high side.... that averages out to about 1.7 a day over a 28 day month. I do not consider myself an alcoholic.

By everything I have read the OP's friend could increase his health by adding more beer.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:09 AM

10,092 posts, read 6,231,019 times
Quote:
Seriously ?! When I was single and an avid boater I'd bring along a case of beer for myself and always seemed to run out by the end of the day.

Now that I'm older I'm out of that scene but have no problem drinking a half of a fifth of bourbon while smoking a cigar. Not that i do this all the time, usually stop after 2 or 3 pours.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 PM

23,333 posts, read 17,364,497 times
16-20 beers a month is less than a beer a day. Averaging two beers weekend day. Many people wash down their lunch with that. It's of little consequence

Old 01-29-2015, 04:51 AM

11,125 posts, read 10,946,832 times
Quote:
usually when people say they drink 2 it actually means they drink 4... everyone understates the amount they drink, that is the truth. So, 4 x 2 x 4 = 32 beers a month and 384 beers a year? Keep this up and one is setting up for cirrhosis of the liver in a few of years.

In addition, one is missing a key fact, this guy does not drink the regular 5% brew, it's more like the IPA bottles 7-7.5% alcohol, now we see how 2 innocent beers are not so innocent after all.
That is incorrect. When I say I drink 2 beers, I mean I drink 2 beers. That being said, I learned for a fact that some health care professionals do indeed double the amount of alcohol and tobacco that they are told a patient consumes.

For me? I make my own beer, so I obviously like a lot of craft beers. I dislike soft drinks (Coke, Pepsi, etc.). As much as I like iced tea, I can't drink it after dinner or it will keep me awake. I drink a couple of beers while I watch TV in the evenings. Sometimes I have three (rarely). After 20 years of living like this, my last blood work (done a few months ago) showed all parameters within normal limits. I'm NOT hurting myself by doing this. During a couple of stays in a hospital a couple of years ago, I did not experience any cravings. I missed it; sure, but no cravings. It's not an addiction. It's just how I choose to live my life, and it's not hurting anything.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:55 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,531,162 times
When I was abusing alcohol I was having about 6 beers every night or a bottle of wine + beer every night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or