Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:41 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times

Advertisements

Brewed the hard way it would seem... (even though plenty of craft brewers make lagers too, and do a better job.)

During the third quarter of the Super Bowl, Budweiser aired an ad taking aim at craft brewing, turning their nose up at it, and taking cheap shots at craft drinkers. They actually made fun of people for drinking beer, that by beer standards, is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c

Quote:
“Let them sip their pumpkin peach ale,” the ad copy read, in between cliché-ridden images of mustachioed men in hipster glasses sniffing effete brews out of fancy glasses. Meanwhile, Seattle’s Elysian Brewing, which AB-InBev purchased less than a month ago, is known for producing beers that would seem to be similarly worthy of poking fun at, such as Punkuccino Coffee Pumpkin Ale and Superfuzz Blood Orange. Fortune pointed out that the brewer had, in fact, made a Pecan Peach Pumpkin Amber beer just last year.
At this point, over 6 breweries just in Colorado have vowed to brew a pumpkin-peach ale to commemorate Budweiser's blunder.

Their hypocritical "you are with us or against us" stance is one of the more laughable aspects of the commercial, as AB In-Bev has spent millions acquiring many craft brewers. Even better yet, was Miller-Coors's response, which took the opposite position:

As you can see, Miller-Coors took the high road, and essentially said, "We are all in this together." While I am not a huge fan of their brand, I really appreciate this stance on the issue. Especially when Budweiser is using their distribution system to strong-arm retailers out of carrying craft brands.

The backlash to Bud's ad doesn't stop there. In fact, many parodies have popped up. *The last one might be a little NSFW, but only a little.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEKqLxtjwDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCgkTeuJkR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMLMzhMBTPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc-B1WrJmJI

The message is clear. Budweiser is scared. Their market share keeps dropping. Young people are abandoning their brand. They have a solution though... mocking the new generation of beer drinkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:29 AM

I forgot to end my post asking for opinions, comments, etc... So....

Opinions? Comments?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:11 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
My opinion is: It's beer. Don't take it so seriously.

As for Budweiser being "scared" - The joke seems to have sailed over your head.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My opinion is: It's beer. Don't take it so seriously.

As for Budweiser being "scared" - The joke seems to have sailed over your head.
So you don't think that their ad attacks craft brewing?

I also don't get how you can say other people take it so seriously, but you choose to insult my intelligence because I have pointed out the irony and hypocrisy of their attack ad.

Explain the joke to me please, oh wise one.

(Do you not see the irony of saying craft beer is "taking it to seriously", when the parodies are responding in kind to what Budweiser aired? By that logic Bud is taking it to seriously and the craft community is just making fun of them. Maybe that sailed right over your head.)

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Comments?
I found it refreshing when Budweiser said they were proud to be a macro beer. Craft beer fans love to proclaim their pride, & then many will also go on to rip macros. Maybe craft beers had this poke coming? Yes, Budweiser may have stepped over the line a little by picking on the small guy. I remember reading an article earlier this year that the craft beer market sales are only 7% therefore, Budweiser alone has more sales than the craft beers combined. Like so many others, Bud does a terrific job with their product. Perhaps, they could have focused more on this & their unique brewing process in the ad. I have some in my fridge right now along with some white IPAs. Most of the time, I want a simple, clean, semi-dry beer, with no skunk & go for the Budweiser. Once in awhile it's nice to have a craft beer though. Variety is wonderful.

EDIT: I found an article for sales #. It's not the article I originally read, but it discusses the same findings.
Quote:
Realize that craft beer sales are up from a small base, and today ALL craft beer sales still account for only 7.6% of the market. In fact, ALL craft beers combined sell only the same volume as the now smaller Budweiser.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhart...s-hide-trends/

Last edited by everwinter; 02-15-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I found it refreshing when Budweiser said they were proud to be a macro beer. Craft beer fans love to proclaim their pride, & then many will also go on to rip macros. Maybe craft beers had this poke coming? Yes, Budweiser may have stepped over the line a little by picking on the small guy. I remember reading an article earlier this year that the craft beer market sales are only 7% therefore, Budweiser alone has more sales than the craft beers combined. Like so many others, Bud does a terrific job with their product. Perhaps, they could have focused more on this & their unique brewing process in the ad. I have some in my fridge right now along with some white IPAs. Most of the time, I want a simple, clean, semi-dry beer, with no skunk & go for the Budweiser. Once in awhile it's nice to have a craft beer though. Variety is wonderful.

EDIT: I found an article for sales #. It's not the article I originally read, but it discusses the same findings. Budweiser and the Craft Beer Fallacy - How Myths Hide Trends - Forbes
If Bud wants to be proud....then can be....but Bud is tone deaf for this one. They are buying micro breweries up...in fact the week before this ad aired, they bought a micro known for a pumpkin-peach ale. And they turn around and make fun of it?

They are used to being 'large and in charge' and can't handle that they are losing market shares and people have stopped thinking that the only beer is weak macro pilsner. They acted like a bully lashing out...and are being called on the carpet for it. Poor them.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Yes, Budweiser seems utterly terrified.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:02 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I do think they are concerned....or they wouldn't be buying up micros. The macros have never lost market share....it's shifted a bit between the other biggies and sometimes liquor sales cut slightly into it...but never have they lost so much so quickly...so yeh...they are worried.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Uh, yeah. They do.

Business Insider -- How Budweiser Went From 'King of Beers' To Court Jester

How Budweiser Lost Millennials

In the late 80's Budweiser was selling about 50 million barrels of beer a year...

Quote:
...But according to the The Wall Street Journal, Budweiser shipped only 16 million barrels in 2013, down from 30 million in 2003. And what's worse, the number doesn't figure to get better anytime soon. A stunning 44 percent of people aged 21 to 27 have apparently never sipped an ice cold Bud.
Their market share has been dropping steadily and alarmingly, whilst craft brewing has been enjoying to opposite trend. Budweiser just spent nearly 10 million dollars on a childish attack ad aimed at craft brewing. So yeah, to any outside observer who knows the facts, Budweiser looks scared.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post

EDIT: I found an article for sales #. It's not the article I originally read, but it discusses the same findings. Budweiser and the Craft Beer Fallacy - How Myths Hide Trends - Forbes
That is cool and all, but while craft beer is enjoying healthy growth rates, Budweiser has went from the number 1 selling beer to barely relevant. They have went from selling 50 million barrels a year in the late 80's to only 16 million in 2013.

That is a 68% drop in sales over a couple of decades. Over the last decade, craft brewing has seen a 10.9% increase in sales. Budweiser now makes up less than 7 percent of the market, while craft brewing makes up 7.8 percent.

This seems less impressive/relevant until you remember that AB is spending nearly 10 million dollars to attack craft brewing, while simultaneously spending millions of dollars acquiring craft competitors. It kinda reaks of desperation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages