Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 06:17 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Hey! I have an idea!

Is there an alcoholic beverage product you want to review ... whether you love it or hate it or feel somewhere in between? Why not give us a short review and share your opinion with us?

To give you an idea of what I have in mind, I'll go first:

The Knot -- Irish Whiskey (about $23 per bottle)

If you look at the label of a bottle of The Knot, you will not see the word "whiskey" anywhere. On the internet it is called an Irish Whiskey and it will be in the Irish Whiskey section of your liquor store. Purists do not really consider it a true whiskey, but rather some sort of whiskey flavored liqueur.

I am not a connoisseur of whiskey and I am looking for something smoother, a little sweeter, without the peatiness of Scotch or the smokey flavors of Bourbon. I like Drambuie. Mr. Expert at a local liquor superstore suggested I try The Knot.

The Knot is slightly sweeter than whiskey. It has a slight taste of caramel and citrus. It also has a bit of the "burn" whiskeys often have. Afterwards I read reviews online and it seems fans of whiskey mostly hated this stuff. I feel only so so about it. It's not bad to sip and it is not as sweet as some of the honeyed whiskeys (nor Drambuie) I've tried. It is not as complex as Glenmorangie Lasanta, which I like.

Skip this one. Even at slightly over twenty bucks a bottle, it's nothing special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 08:51 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times
Hey Clark, since you live in Philadelphia and I take it live near Clark Park in University City, how do you like the PLCB store at Baltimore and 49th? I know it's small but it got remodeled recently, and when it opened about eight years ago was a HUGE improvement over the very old, seedy "counter" store it replaced in a spot farther west on the same block, now a wig store (ugh!) called Golden Beauty.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:57 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times
Thanks for answering (by way of reputation comment) but let me ask something else public. Have you ever been to any of the larger state stores? None are anywhere near as big as a Total Wine, that's for sure, but they all are about the size of a Trader Joe's (which is an improvement over the tiny older state stores). Most state stores on the Main Line, and most other places in PA with money, are "premium collection" stores, which used to be known as "superstores" but were renamed to emphasize the more luxurious items in the stores. In the early 2000s, the highlight of the larger stores was their carpeted section with the top-shelf wines, but a newer type of larger store evolved into one with not only a carpeted section, but within that, a walk-in wine chiller. In fact the state store in Drexel Hill is an anomaly: instead of a carpeted section with a walk-in chiller (and non-chilled wines), the walk-in chiller takes up the whole carpeted section!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,164 times
We bought a bottle of PIEHOLE Pecan Pie...Canadian Whiskey with Pecan Pie Liqueur. It is really really good... 70 proof/35% alcohol.. very smooth..not strong tasting...as a matter of fact at Christmas my husbnad and I sipped the whole 750ml bottle while sitting by the tree!!!! A winner in my book....10

On the same same trip, since we live in a dry country.well damp..no booze..we also bought a bottle of Roberson's Mellomoon.....IT IS HORRIBLE...I can't stress hard enough how awful this tastes...I was gagging..it tastes like lighter fluid a match and gasoline, with a burning wood taste....not at all enjoyable...it will get ya feeling good..if you can stomach it...and you may not HAVE a stomach left if you drink this turpentine swill.....1..Rated one just because my husband likes it!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
I first tried this when on vacation in Playa Del Carmen at an all-inclusive resort. It is from the country of Spain and I was very pleasantly surprised. I think it is fantastic. I would not drink a whole lot of it at once but it is great as an after dinner (or before) drink. Much like you would drink a Brandy or Cognac

Licor 43 (Cuarenta Y Tres)

Licor 43 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-11-2015, 09:17 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Tanqueray Rangpur Gin

In the warmer months my favorite drink is gin and tonic. I guess my four years serving in the UK's Royal Merchant Navy (it's a long story) had something to do with my appreciation of gin.

Gin is an acquired taste. It is clear spirit that is heavy on what they call "botanicals" like juniper berry (the most pronounced flavor) but also other things like coriander, angelica and various herbs and spices. Most gins are dry, tart, bitter and even medicinal tasting. That is why it will never outsell vodka in most countries in the world.

Tanqueray Rangpur is different. It's much smoother than most gins and it balanced with the flavor of Rangpur limes which is a weird hybrid citrus fruit that has mandarin orange in it's lineage. This is the perfect gin for citrusy gin cocktails like gimlets and gin & tonics. It comes in a pale emerald green bottle. The taste is smooth, bright, citrusy, and refreshing. The juniper is still there, but it doesn't overpower the flavor with an evergreen acidity like many gins.

Tanqueray Rangpur is, quite frankly, my favorite gin. I admit this might not be the best gin for a dirty martini or a gin fizz ... or any of those stronger tasting cocktails. Either straight or in a lightly mixed drink, this one is gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages