U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 PM

14,114 posts, read 20,785,616 times

Advertisements

Bf were drinking a couple times a week and we've stopped that. The last time we had a drink was my bday on 5/20. We've agreed to not drink again till Vegas on the 6th. I broke the rule and had a glass of wine last night when I got home from work because I got creamed and needed it to relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:09 AM

5,217 posts, read 5,776,781 times
I agree with you JM! That's a lie. I mean, if there was no effect at all, forget about it, I would rather drink water and not have to burn off those calories later. To say you drink just for the taste is so stupid, even though tons of people pay lip service to that. I think it's nonsense, it's just a more "adult" thing to say.

I went 6 months without drinking recently, it did me some good, I needed a break. I was enjoying drinking too much and had a few idiotic times where I let myself lose control and that's not acceptable. I think it's good to prove you can go without drinking if you need to because who wants to feel like they have to do something? That's not good.

I just keep to a pretty strict limit now as far as having only a few drinks at a time. It keeps me calm and being myself.

As far as number of drinks, though, it's just funny how much that depends on every other factor. How much I ate, whether I'm already tired, etc.

Also light beer is virtually useless at getting drunk or even heavily buzzed. There is far more of a difference than some people pretend there is between a real beer and a Keystone or whatever. My buddy and I easily finished a 30 rack of light beer one night and by the end of the night, we were both just laughing what a complete waste of money it was. Neither of us were drunk at all. 15 beers each, but it was probably spread over about 8 hours, and I could barely feel it. we just gave up by that point because it was time to go to sleep.

By contrast, another time we bought a six pack of this 8% ABV beer and after 3 of those, we were both surprisingly buzzed. He was like, "Dude, I don't know about you, but I'm feeling this third beer..." It seemed kind of pathetic but real beer is definitely tougher to have many of them. The beer I drink at a local brewery here (Bridgeport) is 7.5% ABV and they pour 20 ounce "pints" so after 2 of those, you are buzzed. Three, you're going to be very buzzed. No idea what would happen after more than that as I don't try.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:01 PM

25,243 posts, read 15,189,070 times
Yeah true. I guess this is why they sometimes called Light or low ABV beer "session beer" . As it's easy to just hangout and drink them without getting too drunk or buzzed.

In an interesting way even though the higher ABV bees might be more expensive, since they are stronger and have more flavor they could be seen as a better value.

Personally I think it's kind of crazy when people will drink a light beer at a place that has a bunch of craft beers, but some people don't like to branch out much.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:15 AM

8,192 posts, read 22,251,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

When you DO drink, does it feel better ? You get more of a 'buzz' out of less drinking?
I find drinking beer to be more enjoyable after I have abstained for a while but don't get anymore of a buzz than I did before I went on the hiatus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Can I get an 8? Ok... a 6?

Fine, to the UK it is.
Talk to a Dr. in Eastern Europe It is funny how there is a direct correlation between what is deemed socially acceptable and what Dr's say is an acceptable amount. Drinking beer in England, and Europe in general, does not have the same social stigma that it does here in the U.S. Don't forget that America has yet to fully shed our Puritan beliefs. Then again, American macro beer is typically of a slightly higher ABV than English macro beers with American micro/craft beer being insanely higher (this is the first year I have seen American craft "session" beers with ABVs lower than 5%. Last year, they were between 5% - 5.5%, which is way too high of an ABV for a session beer). So typically English beers have a lower alcohol content than their American counterparts.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 AM

25,243 posts, read 15,189,070 times
Lower than 5%? where's the fun in that? Go BIG or go HOME babyyyyy , jk.

I actually did buy a 'session ipa' made here in L.A recently that was 4.5%. Kind of interesting.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 PM

5,217 posts, read 5,776,781 times
I don't know what "session" means and have never heard anyone say that...

Beer should be 6-8% ideally. Lower is just weak!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:29 AM

11,055 posts, read 10,914,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I don't know what "session" means and have never heard anyone say that...

Beer should be 6-8% ideally. Lower is just weak!
"Session" beer is beer that is meant to be consumed in larger quantities, as in several at a sitting. Therefore, it is lower in alcohol by design. Sometimes, people refer to it as "lawnmower beer" since it is the beer they drink to cool off when doing outdoor work in the summertime. It is definitely a legitimate beer term.

Beer should have whatever quantity of alcohol the recipe generates. Good brewers do not change recipes just to increase the alcohol content. Doing so alters the flavor of the beer (sometimes causing it to "dry" out). There is no "ideal" alcohol content for beer. Octoberfest recipes typically come in under 5%. Lagers frequently come in at lower ABV than some ales because the lager yeast doesn't work well in higher alcohol solutions. I made a Pumpkin Spice ale once that came in somewhat higher than the recipe suggested. Then I considered that I had added a pound of real pumpkin to the mix, so the pumpkin provided more sugars for the yeast to convert to alcohol.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:24 AM

25,731 posts, read 32,704,092 times
Alcohol tolerance absolutely decreases when you stop drinking. I used to drink quite a bit when I was in my 20's, and I'm ashamed to say how much I could/would drink in an evening while out dancing/partying with my friends. But I quit completely when I was around 30, because I trying to lose weight and start a healthier lifestyle, and I didn't want to waste calories on alcohol. I didn't miss it a bit, and I sure didn't miss the expense. I had just as much enjoyment when I was out, I simply drank water, and it never made one bit of difference in how much fun I had. To this day I am nearly a teetotaler. I do have an occasional drink, but it is maybe once every few months, when I get together with an old friend, or my sis, or something like that. And let me tell you, 2 drinks is just about my absolute limit. There is no way I can drink anything near what I use to. My body simply will not tolerate it, and that is just fine with me. My BF doesn't drink at all, so that makes it quite easy.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:29 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,725,943 times
After not drinking for a few weeks, I grow a high intolerance to alcohol, sometimes I find myself getting drunk on up to half the amount of alcohol that it would usually take me! Can be kind of good in a way, though.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:06 AM

8,192 posts, read 22,251,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Lower than 5%? where's the fun in that? Go BIG or go HOME babyyyyy , jk.

I actually did buy a 'session ipa' made here in L.A recently that was 4.5%. Kind of interesting.
Twenty years ago I definitely went big and still tried to go home. I didn't always make it; one time I remember waking up in the bed of a random pickup truck. Or that one time I must've decided that crashing in the laundry room of some random apartment complex was a good idea. Or those few times in a strange bed. I am pretty sure a few bushes were involved, here and there, too. Thankfully I wasn't driving during these times. Joking aside, at some point during adulthood you realize that catching a good buzz is a heckofalot more fun than being completely wasted.

But yeah, I kid you not. It seems that only a year ago American session beers where still of a higher-than-average ABV. I won't go as far as to say that there was backlash against this but many in the home-brew world, including those on dedicated forums and with their blogs, questioned the reasoning behind this. The industry must've caught wind because now we are seeing true session strength craft beers on the market this summer.

I will also mention that in my opinion drinking a few beers at 7% each on a hot and humid summer day is not my idea of a good time. A few beers at 4% on the other hand is much more enjoyable (and I don't have to worry about passing out in broad daylight, roasting myself like a dumb turkey... ...which has also been known to to happen...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages