U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:13 PM

25,274 posts, read 15,351,393 times

Advertisements

I am planning to not drink alcohol for a little while. For a while I have drank something every day or every other day or so, but I haven't drank anything for the past 4 days or so I believe.

Part of this is because I want to feel better. I want to lose weight as well. I also am starting to think I don't want to drink just to drink , like when I'm at home without anyone around. I'm thinking i should reserve alcohol more for social occasions where I can enjoy it with others.

I also started to feel like I am not really getting much out of drinking, when I do it . In my earlier days of drinking I'd get a really enjoyable feeling. But this seems to have changed the past year or so .

If I perhaps limit drinking to the weekends rather than a daily or almost daily thing...do you think my "tolerance' will change? I have heard about this before but I don't know if it's really a myth.

I know a lot of people are doing the 1month no alcohol challenge..but I don't think I want to go that long right now.

Has anyone that has been a pretty 'regular' drinker , cut back on drinking and noticed any differences.
Do you have more energy from not drinking? Do you feel better overall?

When you DO drink, does it feel better ? You get more of a 'buzz' out of less drinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 PM

36,588 posts, read 41,867,584 times
Yes, if you drastically reduce your alcohol intake, your tolerance will change over time.

When I got pregnant, I obviously stopped with the nightly or every couple of nights glass of wine or a beer, which my husband and I had been known to do. My husband stopped at the same time, due to both solidarity with me (nice of him, but he didn't have to), and because he was cutting back on calories lots of places for his military physical fitness requirements, in addition to working out a great deal. His main thig was that if he has an drink in the evening, his usual habit is to have a snack with it (we would do cheese, etc. with wine, salty snacks with beer, etc.), and stopping any evening drinking also curbed his snacking. Now (four months later), if he has a drink when we go out to dinner with a group, he feels it immediately, after a long stretch of being mostly dry.

Abstaining for a few days isn't going to really produce this effect, though. It would take a longer stretch for your body to reset its tolerance levels.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 PM

Oh ok interesting thanks for your response .

I'm thinking I'll wait at least a week or so, perhaps longer.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,860,426 times
Give it up for lent every other year.

Tolerance drops for a week or so, but then it comes back.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM

Still haven't had anything yet. I don't feel a strong desire to though.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,498,935 times
I used to be in your boat. I used to drink pretty much every other day. It was always beer. Sometimes a six pack of beer when I got home from work while I did some writing and listening to music. I built up a pretty good tolerance. I could easily drink six beers and not feel drunk. I think it took 8+ to get me to the drunk level. Although, it's always hard to measure drunkenness when you're just sitting at your desk with headphones on.

Now I drink about three or four times a month and only socially. I can usually feel a pretty good buzz after my third beer.So, yeah, my tolerance isn't what it was.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I am planning to not drink alcohol for a little while. For a while I have drank something every day or every other day or so, but I haven't drank anything for the past 4 days or so I believe.

Part of this is because I want to feel better. I want to lose weight as well. I also am starting to think I don't want to drink just to drink , like when I'm at home without anyone around. I'm thinking i should reserve alcohol more for social occasions where I can enjoy it with others.

I also started to feel like I am not really getting much out of drinking, when I do it . In my earlier days of drinking I'd get a really enjoyable feeling. But this seems to have changed the past year or so .

If I perhaps limit drinking to the weekends rather than a daily or almost daily thing...do you think my "tolerance' will change? I have heard about this before but I don't know if it's really a myth.

I know a lot of people are doing the 1month no alcohol challenge..but I don't think I want to go that long right now.

Has anyone that has been a pretty 'regular' drinker , cut back on drinking and noticed any differences.
Do you have more energy from not drinking? Do you feel better overall?

When you DO drink, does it feel better ? You get more of a 'buzz' out of less drinking?
First of all to me, it sounds like you drink for the wrong reasons, and yes, you probably would be smart to cut back. Drinking to make you feel good is a bad reason for drinking. Drinking, though a social experience with friends shoud be done because you enjoy the taste of a drink, not to make you feel better. Of course we all drink to relax somewhat as well, but this shouldn't be the main reason for alcohol consumption. BTW, cutting back or giving it up for periods of time will change your tolerance

Old 04-24-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
First of all to me, it sounds like you drink for the wrong reasons, and yes, you probably would be smart to cut back. Drinking to make you feel good is a bad reason for drinking. Drinking, though a social experience with friends shoud be done because you enjoy the taste of a drink, not to make you feel better. Of course we all drink to relax somewhat as well, but this shouldn't be the main reason for alcohol consumption. BTW, cutting back or giving it up for periods of time will change your tolerance
Yeah I still haven't had anything , and has been about a week now. I agree it's not good to drink to feel good. The best way to feel good overall is to be in good shape, eat well and be around positive things and people. Of course that should be the goal of everyone but it's easier said than done.

I do enjoy the taste of drinks. I enjoy the different styles of craft beer and wine too. I like checking out different breweries and just went wine tasting in Sonoma (north california near Napa) a couple of weeks ago. I also like cocktails , but haven't been drinking too much hard liquor recently. I think it tends to have more of a negative effect on me nowadays.

I'm thinking to reserve drinking for more 'special occasions' or even weekends rather than a regular thing. There have been times where if I had a day off for example I would drink.
The calories and other downsides aren't good either, and the economic cost can be high as well.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 AM

3,534 posts, read 2,379,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I drink for the taste AND the effects. It if was just for the taste I would rather enjoy a nice glass of iced tea or lemonade. As for drinking in a social setting with friends it is also for the effects. I never hear "Lets all get together for some lemonade". Also as an example, I never could understand why people drink non-alcoholic beer. I just dont like the taste of beer that much I guess. Maybe it's not socially acceptable to drink for the "buzz", but I certainly do. Take another analogy for example with coffee. Do people drink it for the taste or the caffeine? I personally don't like the taste unless I flavor it somehow with cream and sweetener. For most people drinking coffee black is an acquired taste. In the end I guess everyone is different.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 AM

Yeah I agree. I think anyone that says they don't drink for the effect at all is lying. I guess everyone is supposed to pretend they don't drink for the effects at all.

I do like the taste of different beers and wines , but it's hard to say if I would drink beers if they were non alcoholic. As far as non alcoholic beers I think a lot of recovering alcoholics probably drink those.

With coffee, I do actually like the taste of coffee too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages