U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,931,602 times
Reputation: 1858

Advertisements

MillerCoors Sued For Marketing Blue Moon As Craft Beer

Quote:
How did Parent go from buying Blue Moon to suing its maker? The lawsuit was filed on April 24, and maintains that Parent purchased Blue Moon because the beerís ads, price and placement among craft beers led him to believe it was also a craft beer.

That myth was shattered when, in the summer of 2012, Parentís friends informed him this wasnít the case. Though he didnít believe them at first, after some research he discovered they were right. He hasnít purchased a Blue Moon since.
I have to wonder how true his story is, it is plausible, but maybe he is in it for the money. I have been wondering if something like this would eventually happen, because the practice, which AB engages in as well, is slightly deceptive... and it seems intentionally so.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 PM
 
3,156 posts, read 8,097,470 times
Reputation: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
MillerCoors Sued For Marketing Blue Moon As Craft Beer

I have to wonder how true his story is, it is plausible, but maybe he is in it for the money. I have been wondering if something like this would eventually happen, because the practice, which AB engages in as well, is slightly deceptive... and it seems intentionally so.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this. Thoughts?
There's no legal definition for "craft beer", is there? Seems like this will be thrown out easily.

I wouldn't consider their advertising deceptive. They never discuss being owned by a small company or being independent from big brewers. Not being upfront about ownership isn't the same as being deceptive. To use a restaurant analogy, you didn't exactly see Chipotle bragging about being part-owned by McDonalds back when that was the case, but I don't think anyone considered Chipotle's advertising deceptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,724 posts, read 2,353,210 times
Reputation: 2568
Lots of advertising is deceptive. Buy our car & you'll suddenly have lots of friends & hot ladies. We've all seen the pictures of the Big Mac in ads vs the real thing. Not sure where or if a line can be drawn.

This article made me chuckle. It read like something out of the Onion. Guy obviously likes Blue Moon evidenced by him buying it often. Then one day his friends inform him it isn't craft, so he forgets his taste preference & automatically stops buying it, because it's owned by Miller. Oh the horror. Hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 08:51 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,931,602 times
Reputation: 1858
I am not standing up for the guy, but he does have a point, one which has been brought up by many people. (In less silly fashions.)

Go buy Extra Gold or any other beer that Miller-Coors makes that is not Miller or Coors, and they say Miller-Coors on the can/bottle. The only brand Miller-Coors makes, that I have seen, that they do not take credit for on the packaging/website is Blue Moon.

Also, when I go into a liquor store, all the Miller stuff is in the same cooler, all the Coors stuff is in the same cooler, and the Blue Moon is half-way across the store with the craft brews.


I don't understand why Coors can't just own up and take credit for Blue Moon, it is a successful beer brand... the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't want to take credit for a successful beer brand is because they don't want people to know that the beer is mass produced in huge automated breweries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Lots of advertising is deceptive. Buy our car & you'll suddenly have lots of friends & hot ladies. We've all seen the pictures of the Big Mac in ads vs the real thing. Not sure where or if a line can be drawn.
Strawman.

When they advertise the car, and you buy the car, you get a the car. When they advertise the hamburger, and you buy the hamburger, you get the hamburger.

When they advertise a beer as being "craft beer", and you buy their beer, you get a beer that was produced in giant automated factories like any macro beer, but with different ingredients. (Not what most people consider to be craft beer.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What I really hope happens here, is that we get some sort of legal definition of "craft beer", because we don't have one right now, so the subject is hard to discuss. It is difficult to have any meaningful discussion when the main subject of the discussion is loosely defined or not at all defined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
They never discuss being owned by a small company or being independent from big brewers.
... But they do emulate the packaging, labeling, pricing, cooler location, etc... and then they leave out the part about being brewed in a massive brewery with macro brewing techniques. (Information that they seem to include on every other brand they make.)

I feel like, if I were to dress like, act like, etc... an insurance salesman, but simply left out the information that I am not an insurance salesman.... and then I conducted business as if I was an insurance salesman. People would call me deceptive. I don't think me saying "Well, I never technically said I was an insurance salesman." would hold up as a defense.

Quote:
To Greg Koch, CEO and co-founder of Stone Brewing Company in Escondido, Calif., it’s a cut and dry matter of how much American consumers value truth over deception. “It’s my personal philosophy that the truth should be easy to understand and require no special knowledge,” says Koch. That similar practices occur with other products, like “artisanal” cheese or “natural bread,” doesn’t justify it, says Koch. “They’re basically co-opting imagery that’s not consistent with reality. That’s where, as a consumer, I get ticked off.”
Big Beer dresses up in craft brewers' clothing





Again, this guys story sounds funny to me, and it seems like he may be just trying to get cash, but I think this is a worth while discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 09:43 AM
 
5,413 posts, read 5,113,889 times
Reputation: 9351
Blue Moon is one of the few decent macro beers out there...anyone that can read knows it's owned by Miller...this guy is just a jerk that probably got made fun of when he tried to claim he drank micros and ordered a blue moon when other options were around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Middle America
36,491 posts, read 41,679,184 times
Reputation: 50197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

When they advertise the car, and you buy the car, you get a the car.
Eh, if you buy a Scion, it doesn't say anywhere on it that Toyota is the parent company, it's branded as a Scion. But you know if if you've ever looked it up or read anything about it that it's a Toyota product. Is this deceptive?

In fact, I'm pretty sure I knew Blue Moon was a MillerCoors product long before I knew Scion was a Toyota product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 03:01 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,931,602 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Eh, if you buy a Scion, it doesn't say anywhere on it that Toyota is the parent company, it's branded as a Scion. But you know if if you've ever looked it up or read anything about it that it's a Toyota product. Is this deceptive?
Does Toyota put their name on all of their subsidiaries besides Scion? If so... kinda. Again, this is a straw-man though. Toyota is not a" macro car company" selling "macro cars" under a brand that does as much as it can to appear to be a "micro car company."

The argument does not carry over because craft beer and Scion TC's have very little in common, in practical terms.

Quote:
In fact, I'm pretty sure I knew Blue Moon was a MillerCoors product long before I knew Scion was a Toyota product.
Like Greg Koch from Stone said:

ďItís my personal philosophy that the truth should be easy to understand and require no special knowledge, theyíre basically co-opting imagery thatís not consistent with reality. Thatís where, as a consumer, I get ticked off.Ē
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 03:06 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,931,602 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Blue Moon is one of the few decent macro beers out there...anyone that can read knows it's owned by Miller...this guy is just a jerk that probably got made fun of when he tried to claim he drank micros and ordered a blue moon when other options were around.
Anyone who can read blogs, industry mags, etc... Nowhere on the bottle, boxed packaging, or website does it have the words "Miller-Coors" written on it.

Again, not standing up for the guy, and in a way I am really just playing devil's advocate, but it is pretty clear to me that they don't want people to read "Miller-Coors" on anything marketed as "Blue Moon", otherwise they would write "Miller-Coors" on the bottles, labeling, website... etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 03:32 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 5,113,889 times
Reputation: 9351
Sorry...no sympathy from me....It's just not a secret or some hidden conspiracy....even if they don't have it in bold letters above the name.

Believe me...I am not a macro fan....but this just isn't lawsuit worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 03:44 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 5,113,889 times
Reputation: 9351
Another thing I wanted to mention...automation does not define a macro either. We recently did a tour of a brewery...Wisconsin Brewing Co. ....state of the art facility....and after the brew master develops the recipe (very neat guy btw)...it's programmed in..and is pretty much automatic from there as humans watch.

Does that mean it's not a micro any longer??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top