Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:26 AM

605 posts, read 491,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I love beer. And I also love hard alcohol like whiskey and cognac. But literally every single high-alcohol beer I have tried (anything over 5% ABV) just tastes like crap to me. I have tried many different types, and they all just taste like rubbing alcohol.

Is there something I am missing about these things? Are they just something people drink to get drunk faster? Note that I am not talking about ales, which tend to have a greater alcohol content compared to lagers, but normal lagers with a high ABV %.
Pretty sure I am your human antithesis in terms of beer preference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:21 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I love beer. And I also love hard alcohol like whiskey and cognac. But literally every single high-alcohol beer I have tried (anything over 5% ABV) just tastes like crap to me. I have tried many different types, and they all just taste like rubbing alcohol.

Is there something I am missing about these things? Are they just something people drink to get drunk faster? Note that I am not talking about ales, which tend to have a greater alcohol content compared to lagers, but normal lagers with a high ABV %.

As long as you're only talking about lagers, I think I'm going to agree with you. There's really no reason for a lager/pilsner to have a greater abv than about 6% (try Lagunita's Pils, which is at 6%. It's good.).

If you're finding lagers with higher alcohol content than about 6%, they probably are brewed for buzz, not flavor. Just based on the raw materials and brewing methods with lagers, you'd probably have to do something to contrive the alcohol content to make it much higher.

Lots of other great beers with much higher abv's though!

Old 05-24-2015, 04:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Has anyone brought up Terrapin Hopsecutioner? YUM

Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
I don't like the high-alcohol beers. They taste too bitter for me. I'm not a beer guy anyway.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:08 PM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Wife had Coop's DNR today, she didn't know it was 10% ABV. Malty, caramel, a touch of fresh hay, very drinkable with no bitterness, no hint of the higher alcohol content. Sticker shock when the bill came, $9 a pint.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:10 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I thought every living form on the planet liked Corona...?
Technically speaking, Corona isn't even beer. It's a malt beverage that's been engineered to look and taste like beer.

Real beer doesn't come in clear bottles, and it doesn't contain propelyne glycol (anti freeze) like Corona does.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,840 times
I just bottled a Pliny The Elder clone (Plinian Legacy extract kit from North Brewer).

It's a double IPA and final gravity is 10.020 making 10.5% ABV.

It's one of the best ales I've ever tasted in my life, and you can barely taste any alcohol at all because the malt and hop character is so strong. A lot of it has to do with the dry hopping, as well as giving the yeast enough time to clean up the off flavors and diacetyl tasting notes.

Large commercial breweries ferment their beers only for a short period of time, and most use cheaper ingredients like rice, and generic yeast strains.

A real german lager takes months to brew and clean itself up. Coors, Budweiser and Sam Adams take under a week.

And this is why craft beers are so popular in 2015. Consumers are getting more educated.

Last edited by ughhnyc; 05-25-2015 at 10:48 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 AM

677 posts, read 653,133 times
I have to echo what so many others say. It is not that high-alcohol beers are inherently bad, it is simply the ones you were choosing. Also, although not definitive, I would say that any beer that specifically marketed itself as "high-alcohol content" would probably have been made more for that than for flavor and would most likely not be as good of a beer.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
Try aging higher alcohol beers. They will usually mellow out over time. I pretty much quit drinking beer a while back but will indulge in one or two good ones on holidays or something like that. I prefer 10%+ beers for those occasions. I just like them better and not necessarily for the ABV, but I enjoy a thicker mouthfeel and my weakness is bourbon barrel aged stouts and barley wines. It is all subjective. I used to hate the burn of hard liquor but now I'm a bourbon fiend. I drink it on the rocks.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:49 AM

171 posts, read 197,017 times
high alcohol lager is basically malt liquor

save some money and just get a 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages