U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:14 AM

605 posts, read 360,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickstack View Post
So your saying a popular beer tastes bad? Mb your the one that's weird . Best beer available in my opinion . Sweet n smooth .
Oh wait mb you like a beer that tastes like old straw ? Well I would call that personal preference. Strange people
The most popular beer in America at last check is Bud Light, and yes I am saying that Bud Light tastes bad. Doesn't mean I wouldn't down a sixer of them if you're buying, but I prefer the better stuff, like what I'm drinking right now (Southern Tier IPA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 02:24 AM

605 posts, read 360,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Bud Light is the most difficult beer to brew, and to do so consistent takes a tremendous amount of skill and knowledge. To add, the Master brewers at AB are some of the most knowledgeable in the industry and the apprenticeship process is long and tedious; where they learn everything about "beer" from history to distribution. I guarantee you they know more about making beer and its history than the majority of "craft" brewers ever will.

These days "craft" beer simply means any beer that is not produced by a BMC but in no way, shape, or form does it denote quality. Craft beers certainly can, and some do, totally suck.

But, the BA (Brewer's Association; the group responsible for coining the term "craft" when micro's became too big to be micros) is pushing hard to promote craft beers; partially because they have a financial stake in it considering it costs money to become represented by the BA. Their current goal is "20 by 20", meaning gaining 20% of U.S. market by the year 2020.

U.S. craft brewers tend to be "everything and the kitchen sink" brewers, meaning they tend to throw anything and everything into beer. For example; peppers, spruce needles, various herbs, used barrel aging (from whisky distillers, wine makers, maple syrup producers, and so on). The current trend is moving towards bigger and more funky beers. I bet that in a few years lambic IPAs, sour kriek "oak", and gose gruits are going to be all the rage. Gose and gruits are the current trends, and talk about gross beer try a gose, but hey, why some think a hopless and quite salty beer is good and skunky beer is not is beyond me.

Heck, Dogfish Head made a chicha that included human salvia (chicha is a Peruvian beer made with corn where the corn is "milled" in a person's mouth to convert the starches into fermentable and then spit into the mash tun). And Midas Touch, which is a combination of wine, beer, and mead.
Why is Bud Light so difficult to brew?

Everything and the kitchen sink brewing is awesome and should be 100% encouraged even when the results are disastrous. DFH is the best exemplar of this from ~20 years ago till now (really, many/most microbreweries/craft breweries aren't creative enough for my taste). And DFH has bombed; I remember being at a bar by myself once (as in, I was the only person there besides the bartender), and the bartender told me I could drink as much DFH peach beer as I wanted on the house, because no one liked it and he was ready to throw the rest of it out. I believe it was Festina Peche. Of course I took him up on the offer, both because it was free and also because hearing how terrible it apparently was made me determined to down it all the more. Well...I think I had half a glass before returning to something that didn't make me recoil with every sip.

Just googled "Festina Peche", and to my surprise, it's 82% on BeerAdvocate. Now there's a beer that deserves a lower rating than Corona, IMO.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 PM

12,193 posts, read 10,374,352 times
Great great post, K-Luv. Bud Light is difficult to brew because, besides lagers being more labor-intensive than ales, it has to taste "clean" and to the same standard of every other batch. Heavy doses of malt and hops can mask many mistakes in a batch...

The fad of throwing all this new so-called innovative crap into beer is mostly disgusting. So far I haven't tasted anything that has improved upon the four ingredients of water, hops, yeast and barley...with the occasional exception of a good Belgian lambic.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:36 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,561,381 times
Yeah you should see the ratings for Corona on beeradvocate and ratebeer.

I think Natural Light is rated more highly! LOL

Old 10-16-2016, 06:42 PM

107 posts, read 112,930 times
Victoria is a glad beverage.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,672,234 times
Never underestimate the capacity of the human race for snobbism. The amount of it in this thread is quite staggering.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM

508 posts, read 300,909 times
I'm almost exclusively a craft beer drinker and even an infrequent home brewer and I have a very well developed palate for beer. I don't drink any of the BMC beers and in fact I will pass one up and drink water rather than drink a BMC beer. I live in San Diego with it's plethora of great breweries and visit them frequently. Love Belgian beers and have toured some of the great breweries there. (I have all of the elements of a snob, though I'm not at all!)

That said, I'll readily admit that I like to drink Corona, always with a wedge of lime. I don't drink it frequently but there are a couple of situations (just getting back from a day at the beach, working in the back yard on a sunny day) where Corona with lime is my go-to beer. (Though Modern Times Lomaland is progressively displacing Corona post beach when I can get it!)

De gustibus non est disputandum!

Old 10-20-2016, 12:30 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,474,550 times
I like Corona. It's my go-to beer at places that have limited selection/nothing else appealing is available.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 1,039,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Despite being one of the worst-tasting beers, Corona is thriving.

Corona, the fifth-best-selling beer in America despite horrible taste ratings, is facing a shortage.
The company told The Wall Street Journal it is spending $1.5 billion to expand its main brewery on the Mexican border. It's also trying to open a new plant in California, with the goal of doubling its output by 2018.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/horrib...105700662.html
Build a wall!

Old 10-20-2016, 10:10 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,142,314 times
I don't like or drink Corona, but no food or drink should be labeled as "horrible," as there is no objective way to measure that.

It is "horrible" to some people, but many others like it.

Lots of people also think Arrogant Bastard, Two Hearted, and Alpha King suck.

Why does everything have to become a contest in this country? Drink what you like and let others drink what they like. There is plenty of beer for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or