Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:58 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,771,374 times

Advertisements

Landshark markets itself as an "island style lager" but whether its on their website or a Google search I really can't find what that really means. I know Margaritaville is based on the Caribbean islands and that lifestyle is also very prevalent in the Florida Keys and Hawaii. So what style is Landshark really based on? I've had the Jamaican Red Stripe beer and it tastes nothing like that (didn't like Red Stripe to be honest).

Is it more based on the Bahamas, the Virgin Islands, any local place in particular?

I think of the other beers I've had, Corona tastes the most like Landshark though the two aren't THAT similar. Corona is also an ideal beach/tropical beer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:00 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
A: So what really is an "island style lager"??

Q: Marketing. Nothing more.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:59 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,423,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
A: So what really is an "island style lager"??

Q: Marketing. Nothing more.
Sounds about right to me.
Personally I love Red Stripe and dislike Corona. Taste is so subjective.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:32 PM

28,396 posts, read 16,230,553 times
There are two main subsets of beer - lagers and ales.

They use different yeasts for fermentation, which requires different processes (lager yeasts ferment at much lower temps than ale yeasts).

There is no style guide entry for "island lager".

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

Old 10-13-2016, 11:11 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
pretty sure it means that Pele (Goddess not Futbol) has approved

have an assortment in the fridge right now, I wonder what they are up to?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:04 PM

55 posts, read 59,734 times
I will say that I have had a Kalik in the states and one in The Bahamas and it was better when I had it there. Don't think it has anything really special, but it is a distinct tasting beer.

Also Landshark is just a lager that is brewed in Florida and branded for a Restaurant/Brand/Singer.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:03 PM

19 posts, read 23,501 times
This post reminds me a long time ago I had a Carib lager. It was a pale lager, glorpy sweet with almost no detectable hops. Kind of gross but I'd like to have another sometime to confirm my memories. I think I got it in a 12 pack of mixed "beers of the world" and haven't seen it since.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:06 AM

24,165 posts, read 13,012,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pubis Unum View Post
This post reminds me a long time ago I had a Carib lager. It was a pale lager, glorpy sweet with almost no detectable hops. Kind of gross but I'd like to have another sometime to confirm my memories. I think I got it in a 12 pack of mixed "beers of the world" and haven't seen it since.
It's a great beach beer from Trinidad (they also have one in St. Kitts, last time I had it) but not a serious beer. Like Banks of Barbados, Balashi of Aruba and Polar of Venezuela, which are watery and slightly sweet. No hops whatsoever. So it's like drinking water with a slight kick. Maybe that's the idea behind "island style lagers" which are just lagers or pilsners with an advertising twist. (Remember the big Australian rage a few years back? A steakhouse chain made a fortune off that.) Make a very drinkable, nondescript beer and market it for the beach or other outdoors location.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:41 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,771,374 times
I guess the marketing IS successful since I always associate Landshark with the beach now just like I associate Corona with beaches and relaxation.

I don't like Red Stripe too much. I've also had a Bahamas beer once, forgot what it's called, it was in this bar with a lot of exotic selections. The Kona Brewing Company in Hawaii also makes good tropical I think, though I don't think Hawaii, the Bahamas, or Jamaica have native beer brewing traditions.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:01 PM

230 posts, read 260,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I guess the marketing IS successful since I always associate Landshark with the beach now just like I associate Corona with beaches and relaxation.

I don't like Red Stripe too much. I've also had a Bahamas beer once, forgot what it's called, it was in this bar with a lot of exotic selections. The Kona Brewing Company in Hawaii also makes good tropical I think, though I don't think Hawaii, the Bahamas, or Jamaica have native beer brewing traditions.
Kona's Longboard Lager is really good. Landshark is not bad, but for half the price I can get a PBR or Miller which tastes just as good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages