U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,260,144 times

Advertisements

Almost any beer is fine by me. I have preferences but there isn't much that I'd just pour down the drain. Until today. It was "Bright Ale" from the Half Full brewery in Stamford CT. Undrinkable. Imagine this recipe:
1/2 part budweiser
1/4 part light IPA (doesn't matter what kind, just enough for a hint of hops)
1/4 seltzer water.
That's what it tasted like, I swear to god. Basically a diluted-tasting, fizzy light lager with a peculiar hoppy aftertaste. 2 sips and down the drain with it. T hey call it "a crisp inspiring hybrid." I can't imagine what they were thinking.

Any other beer nightmares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,854 posts, read 54,552,867 times
Well, when I was still to young to be drinking, we'd get the cheapest stuff we could find, and back in the late 1960s that was about $4/case. Made in L.A. with bad water, sort of a green hue. Some of the names were Regal Select, Brown Derby, Fisher.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:39 PM

3,885 posts, read 3,035,792 times
If you just stick to mass produced beers I would have to say, Coors light, Piels light, miller light, Miester brau, and Narragansett. (I think Narragansett is only found in the New England area)

Some more beers that I don't think are produced any more, Red, white, and blue, black label, gennosee, ballantine, schimdts, and keystone.

I had an uncle who loved Black Label. Don't know why, but I would guess it was the price.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 AM

3,755 posts, read 2,487,724 times
I'm sure other people will bring up ones that will make me reassess this, but at the moment I can't think of a worse one than Old Milwaukee.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,375,608 times
It's all style preference. Both of these beer makers are excellent, & they both get good reviews, but personally, these 2 get my vote

New Glarus Brewing Company - Stone Soup: Belgian Pale Ale. Tastes like banana bubble gum with cloves mixed in. Blech

Lakefront Brewery - Wisconsinite Summer Weiss Beer: Hefeweizen. Strong taste of cloves, plus banana. Tasted like I was drinking liquid potpourri & eating a banana at the same time.

I like simple beers, & definitely not banana & cloves in beer.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,128,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I'm sure other people will bring up ones that will make me reassess this, but at the moment I can't think of a worse one than Old Milwaukee.
THAT and Milwaukee's Best......

Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 AM

16,822 posts, read 7,487,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If you just stick to mass produced beers I would have to say, Coors light, Piels light, miller light, Miester brau, and Narragansett. (I think Narragansett is only found in the New England area)

Some more beers that I don't think are produced any more, Red, white, and blue, black label, gennosee, ballantine, schimdts, and keystone.

I had an uncle who loved Black Label. Don't know why, but I would guess it was the price.
When I was in college a six pack of Carling Black Label was cheaper than a sixer of Mountain Dew (we didn't have Red Bull back then), I think I paid 89 or 99 cents... it was less than a buck. I bought one six pack and that was that... the only difference between it going in and urine coming out was the temperature. (Figurative comparison, not literal experience.)

A few months back I had a chocolate stout in San Antonio that was so rich, so chocolatey it was like drinking Hershey's syrup. Unpalatable.

Stone's Arrogant Bastard is so hoppy and bitter you'd swear they added that stuff you spray on shrubs and trees to keep deer from eating them. I haven't had Stone's Ruination IPA but I hear it's even more bitter. Their bottle reads "This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth." I didn't enjoy it. So I guess I'm not one of those hipster IPA afficionados.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM

8,275 posts, read 11,133,121 times
Can't recall the name but it was Australian and tasted like turpentine (or as I imagine turpentine would taste.) Truly horrible.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
The worst beers I have ever had have all come from microbreweries, even though I drink many different craft beers. Almost any macrobrew will taste fine, some are better then others...but they are macro for a reason, generally inoffensive.

I had a vanilla IPA from some brewery at GABF a couple years ago...terrible.

Goose Island, the year ABI bought them, came out with a truffle beer, truly gross.

Last year I was in Brazil and had a microbrew there, it was a "Guarana pale ale". It was soo bad.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 PM

25,087 posts, read 23,968,623 times
Keystone. Maybe. Right now I'm drinking a Harpoon IPA that tastes like--in my mind--cat pee and turpentine. It's terrible. I may pour the rest of it down the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or