U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 PM

876 posts, read 667,542 times

Advertisements

I know all alcohol in general is crazy expensive at bars, but is it just me or is whiskey overpriced even compared to the rest of the stuff served at bars? Why do individual shots cost tens of dollars? I could use the argument that everything is fair game as long as people buy it since that is how the market works, but how many people actually buy good whiskey at bars in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 07:49 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,112,799 times
Depends on the bar.....we have one here that has a bottle of Louis XIII...and yes, people do drink it. I think they are on their second bottle and have been open about 4 years now. I admit I do cringe when some clueless idiot with more money than taste buys a shot of it and slams it like rotgut at a frat party.

If we find a place that has a unique selection we may get a pour of something we haven't tried. I know I would rather spend 15$ - 25$ to see if I enjoy a certain whiskey or scotch before spending a few hundred on a bottle only to find out we don't enjoy it.

Also...some people may want to celebrate something with a special toast....or some may like a certain brand but can't justify buying a bottle for home but like a taste now and then.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:33 AM

35,064 posts, read 19,178,389 times
Easy solution:

Buy yourself a few jugs of good whiskey to keep at home and enjoy when friends visit.

Bars are in business to make money and tey do that by charging exorbitant amounts for small quantities of liquor.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:17 AM

71,689 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I know all alcohol in general is crazy expensive at bars, but is it just me or is whiskey overpriced even compared to the rest of the stuff served at bars? Why do individual shots cost tens of dollars? I could use the argument that everything is fair game as long as people buy it since that is how the market works, but how many people actually buy good whiskey at bars in the first place?
Have you priced a good martini at a decent bar? All drinks are over priced, including wine. So your choices are: 1, do not go to bars to drink, stay at home; it is safer anyway or 2-pay the price.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Depends on the bar.....we have one here that has a bottle of Louis XIII...and yes, people do drink it. I think they are on their second bottle and have been open about 4 years now.
But if the bottle has been open for literally years then doesn't that just mean that the flavor has become dulled? I would don't know if I would be willing to pay much for a bottle that by the time I get to drink from it has become only slightly better than your typical Jameson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Bars are in business to make money and tey do that by charging exorbitant amounts for small quantities of liquor.
But is overcharging actually a wise strategy in the first place? I admit that I don't run a bar so for all I know they have a good reason for doing this, but if they do then I have no idea what it is. I would be much more likely to have whiskey at my local war if it was priced more reasonably. Also remember that few people buy whiskey at bars in the first place, with 90% of people buying beer and shot, or some kind of mixed drinks. It doesn't make sense to me to alienate the few people who would actually buy your whiskey with insane prices.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:12 PM

36,489 posts, read 41,670,258 times
We typically avoid going to bars for quality alcohol, for this reason. I'll sip a beer when out, or cocktails I don't usually keep the ingredients for at home.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:15 PM

36,489 posts, read 41,670,258 times
Quote:
But if the bottle has been open for literally years then doesn't that just mean that the flavor has become dulled?
Nope. Not if sealed tightly and kept out of sunlight, say, in a cabinet, and not subjected to extreme temperatures. My husband had a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue for maybe six years (we are mostly single malt people and don't go through blends too quickly), and it was good to the last drop.

At any rate, we have so much good Scotch at home, it's pretty unlikely we'd ever order it in a bar.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:17 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,112,799 times
Quote:
But if the bottle has been open for literally years then doesn't that just mean that the flavor has become dulled? I would don't know if I would be willing to pay much for a bottle that by the time I get to drink from it has become only slightly better than your typical Jameson.
I believe they close it with a nitrogen system to prevent that....but I wouldn't know because I won't spend that much.

Tell me.....what do you consider a fair price for a drink?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I believe they close it with a nitrogen system to prevent that....but I wouldn't know because I won't spend that much.

Tell me.....what do you consider a fair price for a drink?
Since I live in Iceland where all alcohol (except for in bars and other such places) is sold in state-stores and the alcohol tax is insane (up to 90% of the price of vodka is just tax) perhaps it's a bit hard to compare Icelandic and American prices. But I could try I guess.

At my local bar, a pint of beer (generic macro-lager) costs roughly 7 bucks (900kr). A shot (I think it's 25-30ml, don't know the exact size) of Jack Daniels 12$ (though I think you get somewhat better value for money if you order a double. Can't 100% confirm that though I am pretty sure). A shot of vodka costs about 9.20$. Since I don't ever buy expensive whiskey at the bar I don't remember exactly what the more expensive types cost but they cost a lot.

The price of the beer I am willing to live with. I find it harder to accept the pricing of the shots and the hard alcohol (though to be fair, it's not really the bar's fault because of the insane alcohol tax), but I can live with it if I just buy a few and not too much. In a perfect world (won't happen, but it would be nice if it did) I would find the fallowing prices to be good value for money:

Beer: 4.62$
Shot of hard alcohol (let's assume it's 25ml) like vodka, rum, gin, Jack daniels etc: 5$
Shot of mid-shelf stuff (let's assume it's JW black): 7.50$
Shot of top-shelf stuff (let's assume it's Talisker): 11$

Is this realistic? Probably not, but this is as much as I would be willing to pay at a bar for alcohol before it basically starts to be bad value for money.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 PM

I would also like to add that since scotch drinkers are a minority within the drinking population I don't see how lowering the number of people who order scotch at your bar even more with very high prices makes much sense. If the stuff were cheaper but still more expensive than the more generic booze causing people to buy it more often then the bars would make more money right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages