U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:44 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,321,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Of course!

Love both of them. I think you will too. I've made them for guests and they won't be disappointed either! I really like Bourbon/Whiskey so that simply mixed with cider is my favorite, plus it's really easy.

Let me know if you try them.

He's talking about using real cider to make an alcoholic drink which is 100x better than a hard cider "beer." Not even remotely similar.
We are trying both. It's for my wife's birthday party in October. She likes cocktails and apple cider. I was looking on line for some recipes - but I don't know what will taste good. It's easier to ask other mixology inclined people.

I was not seeking a hard cider or a flavored beer. You have that right. I want to use local apple cider and whiskey.

What I plan to do is to try them both on her first. That sounds bad. Anyway, see which she prefers.

We will be having a signature cocktail, craft beer and local wine. And lots of Fall food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
For fall/winter holiday parties, I love to make a big pot of hot, mulled apple cider (orange slices, cinnamon sticks, cloves, a bit of nutmeg, star anise in cider, left to simmer for a while). The crock pot works great for putting it out on the table for guests, or use a big soup pot on the stove, than put out a display of dark rum, bourbon, and one other whiskey choice alongside it for guests to mix with the cider, as they so choose. It's always a hit and takes care of drinkers, light drinkers, and non-drinkers all in one. You could pre-mix the liquor of your choice into the hot-mulled cider if you wanted some consistency and the "strong" drink that you're after.

We also make an apple cider-based margarita that's kind of special.
tequila - 2oz
apple cider - 1 1/2 oz
juice of 1 medium sized lime (not quite 1oz juice)
honey (or simple syrup, agave, sugar...) to sweeten
touch of cinnamon

Mix in a shaker of ice and pour over ice into a glass that's rimmed with salt, sugar, and cinnamon. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and/or star anise pod. Very festive, potent, sophisticated, and tastes great.
Another contender! Thanks for posting.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:54 PM

407 posts, read 426,380 times
I do this one for our annual fall BBQ.

Apple Cider Sangria
YIELD: SERVES 4-6 PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 10 MINUTES

ingredients:
1 bottle (standard size) of pinot grigio
2 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
1 cup club soda
1/2 cup ginger brandy
3 honey crisp apples, chopped
3 pears, chopped

directions:
Combine all ingredients together and stir, stir, stir. Refrigerate for an hour or so (or longer!) before serving.
[Regular brandy can also be used, I simply used ginger brandy to give it more autumn flavor.]

Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
I do this one for our annual fall BBQ.

Apple Cider Sangria
YIELD: SERVES 4-6 PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 10 MINUTES

ingredients:
1 bottle (standard size) of pinot grigio
2 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
1 cup club soda
1/2 cup ginger brandy
3 honey crisp apples, chopped
3 pears, chopped

directions:
Combine all ingredients together and stir, stir, stir. Refrigerate for an hour or so (or longer!) before serving.
[Regular brandy can also be used, I simply used ginger brandy to give it more autumn flavor.]

Another winner!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:21 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,406,696 times
Look up a recipe for Apple Pie. Drinkable and strong. Uses cider, too. I'm guarded about my recipe, but others may share theirs.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:23 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,406,696 times
Apple Pie in a Jar Drink Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This one looks good.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
This one sounds good, also!

Old 09-24-2015, 12:58 PM

70 posts, read 56,208 times
My favorite, home brewed hard sweet apple cider over ice with a shot of tequila, Ive always called it a "Cactus Apple"

Old 09-24-2015, 09:12 PM

12,392 posts, read 7,447,004 times
My family makes apple cidercars for Thanksgiving.

Apple Cidercar | Williams-Sonoma

It calls for apple cider concentrate, but we just use apple cider and leave out the water.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Thanks! It is GOOD! Hey I had to test it before the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or