Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions? For a Fall themed party. Must be very drinkable and strong. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:34 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Any suggestions? For a Fall themed party. Must be very drinkable and strong. Thanks.
My favorite fall drink is Apple Cider Bourbon. Goes nicely together. Doesn't require you to have a lot on hand.

2 oz Bourbon
4 oz Apple cider
Sprinkle some cinnamon on top
Garnish with an orange wedge.

Another that I've tried is the following. Very tasty but requires more ingredients on hand.
1½ oz. Jameson Irish Whiskey
¾ oz. dark Rum
1 oz. apple cider
½ oz. lemon juice
½ oz. agave syrup
Ground cinnamon

Old 09-06-2015, 06:59 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
They both sound good! Have you tried either one?

Thanks for posting.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
What? Lots of ciders are both strong and drinkable. Weird question! Do you even need to make a cocktail?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
For fall/winter holiday parties, I love to make a big pot of hot, mulled apple cider (orange slices, cinnamon sticks, cloves, a bit of nutmeg, star anise in cider, left to simmer for a while). The crock pot works great for putting it out on the table for guests, or use a big soup pot on the stove, than put out a display of dark rum, bourbon, and one other whiskey choice alongside it for guests to mix with the cider, as they so choose. It's always a hit and takes care of drinkers, light drinkers, and non-drinkers all in one. You could pre-mix the liquor of your choice into the hot-mulled cider if you wanted some consistency and the "strong" drink that you're after.

We also make an apple cider-based margarita that's kind of special.
tequila - 2oz
apple cider - 1 1/2 oz
juice of 1 medium sized lime (not quite 1oz juice)
honey (or simple syrup, agave, sugar...) to sweeten
touch of cinnamon

Mix in a shaker of ice and pour over ice into a glass that's rimmed with salt, sugar, and cinnamon. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and/or star anise pod. Very festive, potent, sophisticated, and tastes great.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
What? Lots of ciders are both strong and drinkable. Weird question! Do you even need to make a cocktail?
I think the person is talking about using a non-alcoholic cider as a mixer in a cocktail....not just having a hard cider.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
They both sound good! Have you tried either one?

Thanks for posting.
Of course!

Love both of them. I think you will too. I've made them for guests and they won't be disappointed either! I really like Bourbon/Whiskey so that simply mixed with cider is my favorite, plus it's really easy.

Let me know if you try them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
He's talking about using real cider to make an alcoholic drink which is 100x better than a hard cider "beer." Not even remotely similar.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
He's talking about using real cider to make an alcoholic drink which is 100x better than a hard cider "beer." Not even remotely similar.
I like some hard ciders...they are not beer. But hard ciders are different than what the OP has asked for.

Different doesn't always mean better. Mulled cider is great on a winter day....I'd prefer a Reposado Cider on a warm summer's day. Both have their place.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I like some hard ciders...they are not beer. But hard ciders are different than what the OP has asked for.
Hence beer in quotations. Hard cider is still more related to a beer than a mixed cocktail.

My wife loves hard ciders but I just don't get the appeal.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Hence beer in quotations. Hard cider is still more related to a beer than a mixed cocktail.

My wife loves hard ciders but I just don't get the appeal.
That's fine...people like gin and i don't get the appeal. Personal preference is not general worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages