Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:29 AM

613 posts, read 943,906 times

Advertisements

They're now selling a store brand Light beer at Costco; 48 cans for $21.99. I tend to drink Bud light (cans), & was wondering how the Kirkland stuff compares. For those who drink Coors light, or Bud light, is this Kirkland beer comparable? I guess at that price tho; it's worth a try.

(FWIW, I'm also a fan of way better, (more expensive) beers: Bass ale (preferably draft), Harpoon IPA, etc., etc.)......

Another question: for those who've bought Kirkland-branded liquor, what do you think? I saw a guy in the checkout line the other day with a bottle of Kirkland Vodka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 04:50 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
They're now selling a store brand Light beer at Costco; 48 cans for $21.99. I tend to drink Bud light (cans), & was wondering how the Kirkland stuff compares. For those who drink Coors light, or Bud light, is this Kirkland beer comparable? I guess at that price tho; it's worth a try.

(FWIW, I'm also a fan of way better, (more expensive) beers: Bass ale (preferably draft), Harpoon IPA, etc., etc.)......

Another question: for those who've bought Kirkland-branded liquor, what do you think? I saw a guy in the checkout line the other day with a bottle of Kirkland Vodka.
The vodka is pretty good as a mixer..it's the only one I've had. I wouldn't touch the beer...but then we won't drink bud/miller/coors style beers anyway.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
I like to have a small stock of American-style light beer around for when we have a diverse crowd at the house, but a 48-pack is too much of a blind try.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:40 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Yeah, 48 is way too many for me to have around if I don't like it, so I haven't tried it yet.

Their liquors are basic and solid quality, nothing to write home about but no off flavors or problems with them. They're great for mixed drinks with strong flavors. We get a few bottles of the bourbon to make Juleps for our Derby party every year and my parents regularly use their tequila for margaritas. In both cases using fresh ingredients for the mixer will give you great results, and the mixer flavors outweigh any subtle flavors in the base liquor.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:41 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
look at the where it's produced on the box.

chances are either Colorado, Milwaukee or St. Louis.

Costco will have one of the major three commercial brewers produce this lager for them, and then package and brand it with the Costco name.

Whichever city it is produced, should give you an idea of how it will taste or how it will stack up against Bud, Coors, Miller etc..

Old 01-21-2015, 04:51 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
No, life is way too short.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:02 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Costco will have one of the major three commercial brewers produce this lager for them, and then package and brand it with the Costco name.
It isn't produced by one of the big 3. It's produced by Minhas, the same brewery that makes Trader Joe's Simpler Times beer.

Quote:
Whichever city it is produced, should give you an idea of how it will taste or how it will stack up against Bud, Coors, Miller etc..
I haven't found that to be the case. As an example, PBR and Schlitz are brewed at Miller facilities, but they don't taste particularly Miller-like.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
Costco shops their beer production around to some fairly decent brewers. I was eating one time about a year ago at Gordon Biersch and thoroughly enjoying a spicy Dunkel Wiezen they had on tap. The waiter told me it wasn't available in bottles, but they'd bottled it for Costco under the Kirkland label. I found it the next day and bought two cases. I'd give their light a try if I was a fizzy yellow beer drinker for sure. Costco is the country's - and maybe the world's- largest wine buyer. They have invested heavily in wine excellence, I imagine they are following the same track for their beer and liquor lines.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:26 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
My research shows that in California at least, the beer is made by Gordon Biersch. With that in mind I'm probably more inclined to have some on hand 'just because'. But a 48-pack is still a lot to buy untried.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Costco shops their beer production around to some fairly decent brewers. I was eating one time about a year ago at Gordon Biersch and thoroughly enjoying a spicy Dunkel Wiezen they had on tap. The waiter told me it wasn't available in bottles, but they'd bottled it for Costco under the Kirkland label. I found it the next day and bought two cases. I'd give their light a try if I was a fizzy yellow beer drinker for sure. Costco is the country's - and maybe the world's- largest wine buyer. They have invested heavily in wine excellence, I imagine they are following the same track for their beer and liquor lines.
Is that true? They have a terrible wine selection in Chicago. I guess if one is a CA label chaser they have a good selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages