Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:18 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times

Advertisements

So called "Bar Etiquette" is one of my pet peeves and one reason I haven't set foot in a bar in forty years.
I am sure the rules vary from bar to bar in various cities and I am curious what the rules are in your city.
I will start with some of my pet peeves and if anyone wants to explain how it works in your area have at it.

1. Buying rounds. Is it rude to insist on paying for your own drink?
2. If you drink several rounds but walk out before it is your turn are you a. smart, b. or a cheap *******?
Big reason I always preferred buying my own.
3. If you do get caught up in buying rounds and you like high priced shots and everyone else is drinking a
a beer are you a. smart or b. an *******?
4. If you are offered a drink by a stranger and you do not want to accept it does that person have the
right to be offended?
5. If you buy a drink for a Lady in the bar and she refuses it is it OK to send it over to another Lady?
6. Is it a good idea to keep the fact that it was already offered to another Lady away from the second
Lady?
7. If the second Lady slaps you silly when she finds out about the first Lady is it OK to go ahead and drink the drink yourself?

All in all I think it is much simpler to just buy a bottle and take it home to drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:53 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I don't think there ARE rules when it comes to what you describe here. Which are basically human behaviors. And things have changed a lot since you were in a bar forty years ago.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
So called "Bar Etiquette" is one of my pet peeves and one reason I haven't set foot in a bar in forty years.
I am sure the rules vary from bar to bar in various cities and I am curious what the rules are in your city.
I will start with some of my pet peeves and if anyone wants to explain how it works in your area have at it.

2. If you drink several rounds but walk out before it is your turn are you a. smart, b. or a cheap *******?
3. If you do get caught up in buying rounds and you like high priced shots and everyone else is drinking a
4. If you are offered a drink by a stranger and you do not want to accept it does that person have the
right to be offended?
5. If you buy a drink for a Lady in the bar and she refuses it is it OK to send it over to another Lady?
6. Is it a good idea to keep the fact that it was already offered to another Lady away from the second
Lady?
7. If the second Lady slaps you silly when she finds out about the first Lady is it OK to go ahead and drink the drink yourself?

All in all I think it is much simpler to just buy a bottle and take it home to drink.
Cool story, bro.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Everyone I know just buys their own drinks.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:06 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Depends on the friends you're out with. Once in awhile if we're out with just another couple, or 2-3 people, we'll take turns buying rounds. But normally everybody does just buy their own.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:41 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

right to be offended?
Lady?

1) I haven't witnessed any formal "buying rounds" rule in action. Sometimes, someone might want to buy drinks for all, but it's not expected that you accept it, or reciprocate. The only thing I saw, would be playing dice, the loser buys drinks for all participating. But you don't have to participate.
2) That would be not cool, unless you have a good excuse to go. Even then, if you accepted a few drinks, it might be smart to leave some cash on the table.
3) When I was buying rounds for dice, it would be "whatever you want/ normally drink". Cost of losing while gambling. Same when someone else is buying.
4) If someone offers you a drink, and you turn it down, that might be seen offensive, but if you offer a good reason why you won't accept it (even something lame, as I cannot accept no drinks from other people because of my principles), that should be enough for anyone.
5-7) Buying drinks for a lady is simplified these days... If you want to do it, just tell bartender that you want to buy a drink to a lady. The bartender would then talk to her and ask if she would accept it and what would she like to get. So, if there's a "no", there's no charge to you, nor an extra drink to offer to anybody.

And yes, it's simpler and cheaper to drink alone at your home. But ain't as much fun.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:33 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
The formal buying of rounds is more common in some places (the UK for example)and among certain groups (business outings) than others.....it's also not as common overall anymore.

Though honestly I have not seen some of the "complaints" for years.....and never have seen a few.

Oh...and if you wish to send anyone a drink.....you tell the server or bartender. They can approach and let the person know.....then that person is free to decline with no drama (leaving the person to send someone else a drink if they want). If the person does except the drink...then it's encouraged that after its delivered the person who sent it goes over and entroduces themselves.

Really....never thought drinking in a bar was rocket science....

Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
My friends and I buy rounds if we are all drinking beer. Once you switch out to a mixer, it messes everything up. Many times, if we are buying rounds, the mixer dude throws in more cash or buys an extra round.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Most people drink the same thing every time they drink. I never saw anyone switch when people were buying rounds. If they did that is rude and could be dangerous.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Sheldon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages