Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:55 AM

5,651 posts, read 5,816,635 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, most, if not all the shines Ive ever had came from the woods, but most of the gusy I use to buy from have died, or gotten out of it, so its getting hard to get any around here thats good. So Ive been wondering, has anybody found any that is pretty close to the "real deal", and if so what brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 AM

876 posts, read 997,611 times
Is vodka too expensive for you? Why drink crap?

Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Dont think you understood the question, but I prefer the taste of moonshine to vodka.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:46 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Have you ever had some true moonshine made by someone that knows what they are doing? It's not crap.

It certainly isn't cheap vodka either. We were able to get it pretty often when we were in NC, but since moving thst doesn't happen any longer. Each 'shiner had a different recipe and I could easily tell which person we had gotten it from by the taste alone.

OP - We've not tried any of the commercial shines thst are out there now so I don't know what to tell you. I've been meaning to pick up a smaller size bottle but always get something else....lol.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Have you ever had some true moonshine made by someone that knows what they are doing? It's not crap.

It certainly isn't cheap vodka either. We were able to get it pretty often when we were in NC, but since moving thst doesn't happen any longer. Each 'shiner had a different recipe and I could easily tell which person we had gotten it from by the taste alone.

OP - We've not tried any of the commercial shines thst are out there now so I don't know what to tell you. I've been meaning to pick up a smaller size bottle but always get something else....lol.
Thanks for the response! I have family in NC who use to make it, but they arent in the business any more. I dont drink enough of anything anymore to warrant buying it, but I do like the taste of real shine. Just curious if theres anything commercially close to the real deal.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:34 PM

16,631 posts, read 15,583,585 times
I've seen this company's products in a couple of stores, but, being a beer drinker, I haven't bought any.

Appalachian Moonshine

Old 10-13-2015, 05:27 PM

17,433 posts, read 13,200,337 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=lega...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Also, almost every stop on the KY Bourbon Trail sells their own moonshine

Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,416,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I have to admit, most, if not all the shines Ive ever had came from the woods, but most of the gusy I use to buy from have died, or gotten out of it, so its getting hard to get any around here thats good. So Ive been wondering, has anybody found any that is pretty close to the "real deal", and if so what brands?
This is our favorite:

Home - Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine

Old 10-14-2015, 10:21 AM

14,225 posts, read 14,642,943 times
As a resident of SC and a whiskey drinker, I have tasted many, many homemade shines. Some ugly, some rather smooth and everything in between. They all tasted different. No one ever seems to know the alcohol proof. Some claim theirs to be over 100 proof. I do not think your average moonshiner is sitting there with a hydrometer????......LOL

Old 10-15-2015, 09:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
As a resident of SC and a whiskey drinker, I have tasted many, many homemade shines. Some ugly, some rather smooth and everything in between. They all tasted different. No one ever seems to know the alcohol proof. Some claim theirs to be over 100 proof. I do not think your average moonshiner is sitting there with a hydrometer????......LOL
Ahh...I think you'd probably be wrong.....since you can get one for less than 10$. I found the ones that produced a good product knew exactly where there product was at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages