U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 05:17 PM

8 posts, read 13,267 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Anyone familiar with the brand Nikka NGK-01 Japanese imported whiskey? I have a bottle marked Gold & Gold aged whiskey. It appears to be a presentation bottle with Samurai decoration. I've had this unopened bottle for a good many years, but never gave it much thought. Looking forward to your responses. Any idea as to value?

New to this forum, and anxious to hear from you............

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Information on Nikka NGK-01 Whiskey from Japan-mvc-014s.jpg   Information on Nikka NGK-01 Whiskey from Japan-mvc-015s.jpg   Information on Nikka NGK-01 Whiskey from Japan-mvc-016s.jpg   Information on Nikka NGK-01 Whiskey from Japan-mvc-017s.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:07 AM

811 posts, read 731,280 times
I'm not familiar with NGK-01 Gold & Gold, specifically, but Nikka usually puts out exceptional whiskey. Nikka's Coffey Grain Whiskey is great. Japan, in general, is creating some amazing, award-winning whiskeys. I've fallen in love with Hibiki 12-yr. The problem is I fell in love with it at $60-70/bottle, now it's easily $150+! I digress... I can't tell what is the age is on your Nikka from your photos, which is going to be a huge factor of course, but chances are you have some quality stuff there.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:49 PM

Default Nikka

Hi,
Thank you for your response. I received this bottle over 20 years ago from a visiting client from Japan. I never gave it much thought until the other day, when the subject of Japanese whisky came up in a conversation with friends. I almost forgot that I had it. I know nothing about Japanese whisky, and someone suggested joining a forum to get some answers. Don't know the year this whisky was made, but as I said, I have it over 20 years. Thanks again for your response. Have a wonderful holiday season.
Mike

Old 12-02-2015, 05:45 PM

811 posts, read 731,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sax View Post
Hi,
Thank you for your response. I received this bottle over 20 years ago from a visiting client from Japan. I never gave it much thought until the other day, when the subject of Japanese whisky came up in a conversation with friends. I almost forgot that I had it. I know nothing about Japanese whisky, and someone suggested joining a forum to get some answers. Don't know the year this whisky was made, but as I said, I have it over 20 years. Thanks again for your response. Have a wonderful holiday season.
Mike
Hey Mike, when I talk about the "year" of the whiskey, I mean the length of time that it was aged before it was bottled. This doesn't have anything to do with what year it was made or how long it's been in the bottle (once bottled, it will keep in its same state for a long, long time if stored properly), but it affects the flavor and quality a lot. "Young" whiskeys (up to 5-8 years of aging) are harsher, less-refined/sophisticated in flavor, and thus less expensive/valuable. In the 12-18 year range, you get some really special (and expensive!) whiskeys. Hopefully somewhere on your bottle it tells you the length of time that the whiskey was aged.

Either way, it will be a really fun thing to crack open and share on a special occasion, simply for the conversation piece if nothing else! Enjoy! Happy holidays to you as well!

Old 12-03-2015, 08:26 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,257,903 times
Wine-Searcher. Human race only please ...

Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 PM

Default Nikka

Thank you very much for your response. I've checked out the packaging and the bottle. No indication of age at all. The box mentions contents as being Nikka Gold & Gold whisky bottle. 750ML. 43% G-L No date, no mention of age. As mentioned, I have it more than 20 years. Makes a great presentation, but I may want to sell it, so I'll leave it sealed.

I also have a bottle of Suntory Pure Malt Whisky aged 12 years. I received it at the same time as the Nikka. I did hear some wonderful things about the Suntory product, so I decided to open it and pour some as a treat. Well, that spoiled me for ever. I won't be able to drink my favorite blend with the same enthusiasm anymore. This was both a good thing and a bad thing. I understand the Suntory Malt is quite expensive when you can get it, and it's difficult to get. Oh well, I'll just have to drink what I've got very slowly, and enjoy it while I can. Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy holiday.
Mike

Old 06-01-2016, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,014 times
Hi there... I seem to have the exact same bottle that was stored underneath my grandma's sink in her bathroom on opened still in the box. However in perfect condition there is no sign of a date anywhere it must be on the label that needs to be cracked when you open it. So have you had any luck with your bottle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or