U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 05:33 PM

447 posts, read 462,511 times

Advertisements

i use growlers when i'm thirsty or its the only way to get a certain beer. usually it takes me 3-4 days to finish one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:24 AM

3,785 posts, read 9,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Never heard of them. Wonder in they're used in Md.

Back in the 50s, I recall men carrying little metal buckets down to the local bar -- seemed that there was a bar at the corner of every block in Baltimore inner city -- and having those buckets filled with draft. Of course it had to be consumed the same evening or else go flat.
Yeah, you can get them in Annapolis for sure. Once it's filled you have a very limited time to finish it. I can't finish a growler in a day--especially when they let me have samples

Old 02-26-2016, 12:41 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
i use growlers when i'm thirsty or its the only way to get a certain beer. usually it takes me 3-4 days to finish one

It takes 3-4 days to drink 64 oz of beer (full size growler)?

If you open one, drink it. It will go flat. That's ok for some stouts, etc, but in general? Nah.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:55 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This is backwards. Growlers are almost always a better deal per ounce (never mind that many many beers available in growlers are never bottled or canned). And whether it goes flat or not depennds on the type of beer, the brew, and if they carb the growler before filling. I've had stouts that were great at 3 months in, and IPA that were good when carbed for many weeks.

For 64 oz? That's not much. Many good bombers are $12-15.

If you're dealing with a run of the mill, widely available craft beer, you're looking at about $10 a six pack. A growler fill is going to be 8 oz of less beer, usually a couple bucks more, and you basically have to drink the whole thing in one sitting or it goes flat. Bottles obviously don't have that problem.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:36 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you're dealing with a run of the mill, widely available craft beer, you're looking at about $10 a six pack. A growler fill is going to be 8 oz of less beer, usually a couple bucks more, and you basically have to drink the whole thing in one sitting or it goes flat. Bottles obviously don't have that problem.

Are we talking run of the mill, widely available craft beer?

Or great beers?

Two completely different things. I don't know anyone that goes and gets growlers of run of the mill craft beers. They wait in line to get growlers of great beers or beers from great breweries.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:43 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,136,037 times
Quote:

Or great beers?

Two completely different things. I don't know anyone that goes and gets growlers of run of the mill craft beers. They wait in line to get growlers of great beers or beers from great breweries.
Exactly....we just picked up a growler of a great beer from a local brewery that the don't can or bottle. How else can you get it home to share?

Now, there have been times I've gotten a growler of a beer that can easily be found....but that's while at the brewery and they have a special deal going.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:55 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,147,649 times
Quote:

Or great beers?

They don't even have to be "great" beers.

I love a fresh draft "good" beer. I think people often underestimate the value of fresh beer.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:26 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
They're not a good "deal" compared to a six-pack, but you do get a good deal compared to what you pay for draft beer in pints. The catch is that you do have to consume it all in one day, as it loses its carbonation once opened. People drink from a growler for the same reason they prefer a pint to a bottle of beer...it's usually fresher, with varieties often not bottled.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 AM

1,504 posts, read 962,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Never heard of them. Wonder in they're used in Md.

Back in the 50s, I recall men carrying little metal buckets down to the local bar -- seemed that there was a bar at the corner of every block in Baltimore inner city -- and having those buckets filled with draft. Of course it had to be consumed the same evening or else go flat.
I have read stories about "when I was a kid, the old man would send me down the corner to get a bucket of beer for him after work." Love the imagery of this.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:41 AM

1,504 posts, read 962,785 times
I live ten minutes from a place that will have 12 or 15 different beers from different breweries on tap for growlers at any time, starting at $7, several in the $10 - $12 range and a few in the $15-17 range ... occasionally a $20+ beer. Many of them I cannot get in bottles or cans, all are fresh (at least the ones I have bought are fresh) and all have stored well up to two weeks in the fridge before cracking open.

Out shoveling snow and want to have a beer with the neighbors doing the same? Great way to introduce them to something they have never thought about trying.

Friday night bonfire with the same neighbors in the cul-de-sac (different season usually, though we have pulled the fire pit out into the driveway in the winter more than once)? Perfect.

Want to have a couple of beers with my wife on movie night at home? Again, a great option for us (when we can agree on a beer).

Growlers are not right for everything, but neither is texting right for every conversation. But we have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages